Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Ultrasport 1000 engine advice

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Ultrasport 1000 engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:08 AM
davjamhan63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ken,

This is David Hanna, Is Dan and Gene still flying? My wife of 25years is still Diane. I never had a change to say anything to all the LAFF members. I was suffering from PDSD in 2005 and I'm Happy to say if it wasn't for my wife and best friend Bobby and Dan. I don't know where I'd be today. Tell all of the guys at the field that I do miss flying with all of them and if you ever take another trip to florida let me know. Diane and I sure have been though the worst and I'm grateful everyday that we are still together. Thanks to all my friends at ft. sill, ok
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	893.5 KB
ID:	1975165  

Last edited by davjamhan63; 03-05-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Dave,
Yes, Dan still flies but unfortunately Gene's arthritis has gotten to the point that he simply can't fly any longer. In fact, he has sold off most all of his planes and stuff. He still is part of of the club and comes out to events and meetings, but just doesn't get to do any flying.

It was good to hear from you. Tell you wife that I said "Hi". We miss having you and her hanging around the field.

Ken
Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to start an Ultra Sport 1000 kit, and I'm trying to decide on which engine to put in it. I have an OS 1.60 FX, and an OS 1.20 SP.

I'm leaning more toward the 1.20 SP. Anyone have experience with this matchup?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM
paladin

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had one in the 1990's with a super tigre 2500 (better name sicker tigre 2500, cause we had to meet 98 db noise limit) so my info may be out dated. but both those engines have more power than the one i used.

Joe
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM
rcgreaves
My Feedback: (16)

Default Us1000 engine

Originally Posted by Lomcevak Duck
I'm about to start an Ultra Sport 1000 kit, and I'm trying to decide on which engine to put in it. I have an OS 1.60 FX, and an OS 1.20 SP.

I'm leaning more toward the 1.20 SP. Anyone have experience with this matchup?
i started too with the "sick tiger" I gave up on it and installed a YS 120 with awesome results. A slow idle was necessary to get this very slippery ship to land. Lots of curves and carving but a really satisfying build for me. Cheers!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 AM
paladin

good point! my sicker tigre would quit on takeoff alot. i had to do a complete traffic pattern inorder to bleed speed. on my us60 i pull to a 5 degree AoA once on final and wait for it to start loosing altitude to add throttle to control the decent.

also the us1000 prototype had a 72 inch wing. they added an extra wing bay on the tip of each wing to make it imaa leagal. mine was very clumsy in stall manuvers compared to the US60 so when others built them i told them this and one actually built the wing with one less bay and it handled just like the 60 and ulimately (like that pun) lead to my selling mine, cause it just did not measure up after that. others figured out how much longer the fuse had to be and went that route but it was not as US60 like as the shorter wing.

just FYI

Joe
Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 AM
mustangman177

Flew mine with a OS BGX 3500. Was quite a glow hog, but was fun to fly.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 PM
rcgreaves
My Feedback: (16)

Default Us 60 us 1000

Originally Posted by paladin
good point! my sicker tigre would quit on takeoff alot. i had to do a complete traffic pattern inorder to bleed speed. on my us60 i pull to a 5 degree AoA once on final and wait for it to start loosing altitude to add throttle to control the decent.

also the us1000 prototype had a 72 inch wing. they added an extra wing bay on the tip of each wing to make it imaa leagal. mine was very clumsy in stall manuvers compared to the US60 so when others built them i told them this and one actually built the wing with one less bay and it handled just like the 60 and ulimately (like that pun) lead to my selling mine, cause it just did not measure up after that. others figured out how much longer the fuse had to be and went that route but it was not as US60 like as the shorter wing.

just FYI

Joe
Id forgotten of the clipped wing us1000 option. Done again today and having loved my second hand US 60 I too would definitely do the 71 inch span. I recall this was only my second build project and way way beyond my skills at the time. I spent hundreds of hours on the details and really just wanted the bigger plane because it was bigger! Anyway I wouldn't change a thing about my experiences with it. I was so psyched about that project. I've built some other large planes and much prefer electrics today but oooooo a YS 120F on that plane was incredible fun.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 AM
paladin

ya, i had to laugh at all the consternation it cause in the pattern club i used to belong to. my buddies Matt, & Mike. Both flew us60 w me in formation. The pattern boys were all upset because we were doing maneuvers on runway centerline low. With all the publicity they gave us we had 20 us60 in the club 2 years later. They had been built w longer tails, longer wings, shorter wings and the general consensus was stock tail dragger was the best.
Then the us1000 came out and it started all over again. I built mine stock thinking it was a direct upsizing of the 60. Flew it for many years but with its clumsy nature in stall turns I shied away from those maneuvers and ended up racing it with some other giant scales. That made it hard to band saw off the two outer bays off of the wing. Mine had a ys1.4L on it at that time and there was a guy who wanted it in Rochester so I sold it to him. It moved right along with that engine, in fact when we raced it was to demo the hobby at airshows and I had to keep it down to 60% throttle till the last lap. G38’s and g62’s in big draggy pogoes and rear wind’s were no competition.
Now ny us60 is electric, my son just got a Tiapan and we put a set of unused retracts with oleo’s in it. Really makes my us60 look bad as it hops down the runway with its CRS lg.

Joe
Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM
PLANEINSANE1
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys,
I'm from the Philippines. I have an ultrasport 1000 and it flew 3d in the early ages of the 3d era.
I did something with mine which might seem unforgivable to some.
Mine didnt even have the chance to fly as a us1000 but i guarantee that whatever i did with it, the flying characteristic was super awesome!
During the build, everything was done as per manual...until the part before adding the bottom side and the turtle deck.
After the fuse was built without the top and bottom....
I SAWED THE PLANE IN THE MIDDLE and widened the body. The plane ended up like an EXTRA.
It has veered away from the pattern airplane look.
Im so sorry for bashing this beatiful kit.
It flew and looked so damn good!
Wait- I changed my mind.....Im not sorry!

happy landings with your us1000 guys!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:51 AM
mustangman177

Any pictures of the build and finished bird ? What engine did you go with ?