Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

q Sig Four Star 40 or Hangar 9 Arrow?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

q Sig Four Star 40 or Hangar 9 Arrow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q Sig Four Star 40 or Hangar 9 Arrow?

Howdy folks,

Well after 3 foamies park flyers (& currently building my 1st basic scratch Piper) I believe I am ready (& want to) go nitro.

Here's my experience after three years of flying and destroying two planes . . .
-- Started with a Graupner Mini Piper 3-channel from Hobby-Lobby
-- Upgraded to a brushed/gear Potensky Eagle EPP 4-channel
-- Currently flying a brushless/li-po Copperhead Aviation "Extra Stiffy" 4-channel www.copperheadaviation.com

I have a Hitec Flash-5 radio.

All three planes are in good working order, but I am bored with the Piper and Eagle. Do slow and lack power.

I am comfortable, with altitude, flying inverted, doing rolls, stall turns, etc. Next is to teach myself knife edges. I have some room to grow into this plane and even perform 3D flight in the future. But I recognize that in a good 6-8 months I will begin to bore with this plane too.

I have been reading the review's on AMA's eZine: www.masportaviator.com
and I know that I am no longer a beginner and am considering skipping a "trainer." With that said, I suspect I am safe with a "Advanced Trainer", such as the Hangar 9 Arrow that will perform a spectrum of aerobatics, but is NOT fully aerobatic.

At the same time, I know that the Sig Four Star 40 is considered one of the best 2nd planes ever made, but I wonder if my experience level is ready for a plane like this.

What ever I get I will join my local club and seek the help of an instructor until I am comfortable with the new engine style and plane.

Based on what I have said, expert pilots, which plane (or diff plane) would you recommend I purchase? Furthermore, I noticed with the RTF planes out there it is cheaper to get than the ARF when you add in a matching receiver and servos for your radio. Typically, are the quality of the guts low-grade and is it better to purchase your own gear and install?

Thanx in advance for your suggestion(s),

Jeremy
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
CustomPC

Default RE: q Sig Four Star 40 or Hangar 9 Arrow?

Definately the Four Star 40.

Like you i started on Electric planes. 95% of my electrics were belly landers and i never really learnt to land properly.
Then i switched to helicopters and devoted all of my time (and money) to the helis. I became a very accomplished heli pilot, flying electrics, glow and gassers.

Recently i had a yearning to get back into planes so i searched for a glow powered plane that would be docile enough to re-learn how to fly but not so sedate that it would bore me after the relative excitement of flying helis.

I chose the Four Star and i couldn't have made a better choice. It flys fantasticly well and is a very confidence inspiring plane. The landings were what i was most worried about but the Four Star lands nice and slow and just floats on in. It can have a tendancy to just keep on going but now that i've got the motor tuned i found i can cut the throttle and the prop acts as a nice big brake to help with the landing.

Aerobatics on the Four Star are great too. On only my 2nd flight i was doing rolls and on the 4th i was looping and flying inverted, doing immelmans and cuban 8's. I'm having a ball with this plane.

Mine has a Saito .62 with a 12x6 prop up front which is really the upper limit of four strokes on the Four Star 40, but it powers it well. The Saito .56 might be a better choice. Now that i've flown it for a while I am even thinking that a lightweight 2-stroke 40 like the Norvel or Enya would enhance the flying qualities by saving 4-5 ounces in overall weight and my Saito .62 can be moved on up to another plane.

The ARF is very well put together with all the fiddly jobs done. You could do all of the major gluing in 1 day and have it flying the next. I was so impressed with the SIG ARF that my plans include 4 of their others in the future (Somethin' Extra, Sundancer 50, Mayhem and Rascal).
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both fly well, and can do about the same acrobatics. Personally, I think the Arrow is slightly better looking. But you might consider the Sig "Something Extra" if you got someone to help with the first flights.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 AM
JeremySutton

Thanx guys.

I will also look into Somethin' Extra.

Yes, landings are by far the hardest part of flying. My foamie now needs to be landed at a higher speed to keep the nose up. I am pretty confident with my basic flight skills. And even flying in wind with my Extra now (can handle 20 mph winds). I will likely go with a 2-stroke engine and want something that will grow with me. I expect I will seriously consider buying the largest 2-stroke for the plane for the sake of additional power when I get fully comfortable with the plane and begin to master each step up the aerobatic ladder.

Or do you recommend starting out with a .40 size? I see the Somethin' Extra can either be a .40 or .46. As a newbie to glow plug and larger scale planes and to lighten my wallet, maybe it's better for me not to push for power before I am even out on the field. Recommendations?

I am surprised to hear that the Arrow will perform the same aerobatics. That is something to take into consideration.

Do you guys think that if I have a trainer cord/instructor and the Somethin' Extra that I will be able to handle that plane with my experience (stated above)?

The Extra looks great! Decent deal on the RTF too.

Jeremy
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
CustomPC

If you want two stroke, then any of the major brand Ball Bearing .46's will fit the bill.

They'll have plenty of power for what you want and very user friendly.

The OS .46AX and Thunder Tiger Pro .46 bith have an excellent reputation. And there's a few others as well. The user reviews tool here on RCU is an invaluable tool for choosing new gear.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Glow planes can actually be less expensive than many electrics to set up and operate. Tower Hobbies sells the Super Tigre GS-40 ringed ball-bearing 2-stroke glow engine for $49.99, and it's a terrific engine. It's also less expensive than a lot of mid-range electronic speed controllers for brushless motors at that price.

The ready-to-fly glow planes all come will solid reliable equipment. The radios are good, the servos are good, the engines are good. They're all bundled with high quality entry level equipment from the major distributors who market them:

Horizon Hobby RTFs:

Evolution ball-bearing engines, JR radio systems and servos

Hobbico RTFs:

O.S. engines, ball-bearing or bushing, and Futaba radio systems and servos

Tower Hobbies RTF:

Tower Hobby ball-bearing engine, Futaba manufactured Tower Hobbies radio system and servos

Thunder Tiger Super Combos:

Thunder Tiger engines, Hitec or Airtronics radio systems and servos (varies by model).

All high-quality airframes, all high-quality radio systems, servos, and engines.

A good low-wing sport plane like the Four Star should be well within your piloting ability, especially if you get the help of a seasoned flight instructor while getting started. If price is a consideration, why not consider the Phoenix Dolphin .40 ARF with a Super Tigre GS-45 engine from Tower Hobbies? The Dolphin is a direct knock-off of the Sig Four Star but the ARF is only $99.99. You can buy airframe and engine both for about the same cost as the Sig Four Star .40 ARF by itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 AM
JeremySutton

The Dolphin .40-.53 ARF/Tower.46 RC ABC Engine Combo is $170, which is $30 less than the Sig Four Star 40 and .46 Avistar engine combo. Of the two planes, (1) which build would you suspect to be easier and (2) more importantly which plane would perform better and (3) finally of the two engines which one is superior?

Jeremy
Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 AM
JeremySutton

With consideration to budget ($300 and under) RTFs seem like the best way to accomplish this, for example the Hangar 9 Arrow RTF is at $299. Though, I prefer the Sig Four Star 40 because I believe I will be able to do more growing as a pilot with aerobatics; therefore not outgrowing the plane as quickly.

As I start pricing out buying: Hitec receiver, servos, batt pack for either plane I probably slightly over an additional $100. Then I need to buy all the extras, like gas tank, etc.

My question is, have any of you seen a nice sport aircraft (beginner style) in an RTF package? I suspect, that I am still better off building up my Four Star than going with a complete RTF trainer -- even if it costs an additional $50 (which is nothing in this hobby).

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Doc Austin

Myg position is pretty well known on this one, but here it is for those who may not have seen it......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632497

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50079.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	709711  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
JeremySutton

Thx Doc Austin. Nice review on the Pulse.

Pricing out the difference between Four Star & Pulse . . . looks like the Pulse will run me an additional est. $60 when all is said and done. Wallet is always a consideration for me here, but skimping is not for me.

So with budget in mind, what's the justification for the extra $60 for the Pulse? Based on your review, I took two items away:
1) Less work to build the plane
2) This plane will perform more aerobatics than the Four Star and therefore, this plane will continue to challenge me for a longer period of time and remain more fun to fly for a longer period of time.

Is this correct? Anything else?

Jeremy
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 AM
rsxter

Jeremy,

Hangar 9 Arrow is an absolute fun plane to fly. I learned to fly with this ARF and with the semi-symmetrical airfoil, it is a great aerobatic trainer. The airframe is very solid as well as the wing which has fiberglass tips. But if you are looking for advanced aerobatics, I would go with the Pulse or maybe even a Funtana X 50 if you want to do some 3D hucking. I still take my Arrow to the field because it is just a fun to fly sport plane and you just can't beat the price for such a quality ARF.

RSXTER
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
JeremySutton

Thank you RSXTER.

The RTF for the Arrow is also very well priced!

I am looking for a plane that I can fly immediately, but will also take me a while to grow in to. I am practicing knife edges now on my foamie and moving towards the beginning of some advanced aerobatics -- though I still have a LONG way to go -- so I wonder if the Pulse makes the most sense.

Jeremy
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Sherman

The Calmato Sport 40 is an excellent plane and is in the $100 to $110 range. With a supertiger 40 or 45 engine, it would be a great combination. Mine was powered with a Thunder Tiger 46 pro, and I was very pleased. It is extremely easy to build (the easiest I have ever encountered), easy to fly (actually flies better than trainers) and yet can be quite manuevarable, with knife edges better than any plane I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot since I've been in the hobby for many, many years (I'm old). The four star is a good, plane, and the Goldberg Tiger Two is also a good plane, There are lots of planes to chose from that fulfil the second plane but with potential for more aerobatics. You are embarking on a fun journey. Good luck!!