Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Motor/ESC Question

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Motor/ESC Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM
ksechler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/ESC Question

Help me with this one. I recently crashed my TREX 450SE, and it was a bad one. My rear cyclic servo - an HB-65 - crapped out and the darn heli almost hit me. I had to run from it and because of that and shock in general I didn't hit the motor cut. I was in idle-up and so the heli kind of paused for a second and then started doing the "chicken dance" and stripped the main gear.

I have finally finished rebuilding and changed the bad servo and put in metal gears in all 3 cyclic servos. Yesterday when I was powering up the motor seemed to loose power and I was unable to take off. Then all of the sudden full power went to the motor and it stripped another main gear. After that it behaived normally, but I just can't trust it.

The motor is a Hacker A20-6xl and the ESC is an Align 35A. Is there any way to test whether it is the motor or ESC. My inclination is to replace the ESC, but I'd like to know for sure.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Tolla

Default RE: Motor/ESC Question

I can't answer your question but am interested in how the Hacker motor works for you. Can you post some details? with your type of flying?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
HeliTB

I had a similar situation. After a crash mine did the same and scared the crap out of me. I put a ferrite ring on the ESC throttle wire and my problem went away, well so far. I believe my ESC got damaged and has introduced glitching to the system. Just a thought. I did buy a new ESC, but haven't installed since it seems that the heli is behaving.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
mrthomasfritz

I can not seem to get a good contact number for Align. I have a TREX 600CF & TREX 450 SE /V2 with both with a dead speed controller.

RCE-BL75G 75A
RCE-BL35X 35A

Has anyone had any luck to get them repaired?

Thomas Fritz
Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 AM
ksechler

Tolla:

I can't compare with any of the other Trex motor upgrades like the Medusa, Just Go Fly, etc. I upgraded from the "stock" 430L to the Hacker. I needed to rework a little wiring because the can on the hacker has a fan built in and spins with the motor. I can tell you that it is much stronger than the 430L. Climbs are pretty impressive, the cyclic is crisper (higher head speed) and there is more snap coming from inverted. I am still learning, so my most advanced aerobatics are pretty much flips, stall turns, etc. I see a lot of potential there, though. A timed flight time of 6 minutes of pretty aggressive (but not 3D) flying leaves ~ 11.0 Volts in the battery.

My setup is 2200 maH TP battery 50C burst, 16t pinion with 325 Hyperion Carbon Fiber blades. I am presently running +- 10 degrees of pitch, which to motor handles fine. Unfortunately, that's all I can get without the controls binding.

Last night I replaced the Align ESC with a Phoenix 35a ESC. That seemed to cure my problems, and I believe there may be even more power available. I need to tweak some programming, though, to be sure. I'm still trying to get everything right after this last crash.

Overall, I like the motor.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Tolla

Thanks for that info, I have that Hacker motor and wanted to fit it today ready for a test run tomorrow. I realized that it requires slightly larger diameter screws than the 430l my JGF. This necessitates making the slots in the motor mount a wee bit wider as the wider screws do not go throgh the motor mounts. Did you have the same problem? ( I have re-fitted my JGF for tomorrow, not keen to mess with the motor mount plate right now). I may even just order a second motor mount for teh Hacker motor and widen th eslots specifically for that motor then?
I'm very keen to compare the Hacker to my JFG450F.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Tolla

Thanks for that info, I have that Hacker motor and wanted to fit it today ready for a test run tomorrow. I realized that it requires slightly larger diameter screws than the 430l my JGF. This necessitates making the slots in the motor mount a wee bit wider as the wider screws do not go throgh the motor mounts. Did you have the same problem? ( I have re-fitted my JGF for tomorrow, not keen to mess with the motor mount plate right now). I may even just order a second motor mount for teh Hacker motor and widen th eslots specifically for that motor then?
I'm very keen to compare the Hacker to my JFG450F.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
ksechler

Yes, I had to open the motor mount holes up some - not much.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Tolla

Did you remove the motor mount plate or just use a small file working from teh bottom?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 AM
ksechler

I used a dremel and left the plate in place. It really doesn't take much.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Tolla

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Synister

You may have cracked a magnet in the motor, not shattered or nothing, just cracked, that might be whats up. I shattered the living hell out of a brushless on my CP Pro, at least I knew it was broke cuz it felt like sand was in it. Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 AM
cflight

Watch how much oil gets on the one way bearing shaft too. I had a one way bearing slipping after the dance, working it back and forth and cleaning the shaft cured it.