Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Trex 450 SE V1 to V2

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Upgrading Trex 450 SE V1 to V2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM
harrier
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Trex 450 SE V1 to V2

Well after about 5 years (guessing) since purchasing my Trex 450 SE (original V1), I crashed it yesterday. Looks like the only major damage was to that shaft that goes between the main rotor holders, the fly bar, and main rotors.

I know there are numerous upgrade parts that I can get for the old 450 SE such as V2 head / tail assemblies. Can anyone recommend a site with good prices and selection on V2 parts? Other than upgrading the head & tail to V2, are there any other things I should consider getting to make the performance of the original better?

My current setup is as follows:

ALL servos - Hitec HS-56SB
Gyro - Futaba GY401
Motor - Align 430L
SC - Align RCE-BL35G

Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 AM
noobflyer01

Default RE: Upgrading Trex 450 SE V1 to V2

if your looking for OEM parts from align for the V1, you're going to have a tough time (they have been discontinued). even the clones are using at least v2 parts. you can go with align v3 parts that will fit and be a nice upgrade at the same time. or check one of the many clone v2 heads that is really cheap and gets the job done. you can get the complete metal head (clone) for under $50 shipped.

helidirect still carries v1 parts here, parts are limited http://www.helidirect.com/trex-450-t...33_240_247.hdx

readyheli have a few parts as well http://www.readyheli.com/T-Rex-450-XLSV1_c_4927.html

check out xheli if you want something cheap, mostly clones
Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 AM
augerin2

Hobby King has parts cheap also here's the link. I've bought batteries & parts have not had any issues yet knock on wood. I'm planning on gettint this very same head with the blue tail assy. to match. I have the V1 head right now & honestly I would not reccomend it to you. Feathershafts ( the part you bent) are too flimisy I've bent several just doing hard flips, popping to hard postive to hard negative pitch
JRod

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9790&Product_Name=HK-450_Main_rotor_head_assemply_upgrade._(4MM_FS)
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
harrier

augerin2,

That link you just sent. I went there and it looks like according to the picture that its the entire head assembly for $27.99????? Is that correct? Is that the V2 head assembly? Looks different from mine which is V1 blue. Anyways if that is the price for the whole assembly I'm blown away. I've see the same thing for around $159-$179 on other sites. It mentioned it fits 450 clones so I'm assuming it fits 450 SE originals.

Let me know cause I'm all over this if that price is correct for everything.

Also what are the recommendations on the electronics? Is my 401 good enough and do I need faster / digital servos for tail or all over?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
gi1mo2

I bought 2 of those heads for the HK 450's. They fly ok, but I find that they have a bit of loose. Could be the adjustment that I haven't mastered. They fly as well, if not better, than the cheap plastic version that comes with the HK kit, but more resistant on crash. It could be V2, but I can't tell. It seems to have a bigger spindle. I crashed one the other week, and I'm having a hard time determining the cause of a severe wobble. Looks very smooth on smartup, but just as it is about to lift, it starts shaking uncontrollably. I'm scratching my head.

I'm about to press send on an order for a Trex 450 Sport Super Combo. I'll be able to tell the difference between the cheap helis I have been flying and the real thing. Stop me if you think I shouldn't...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
harrier

After some digging around I realized that the $27 head assy was aftermarket. Explains being $150 less than Align's head assy. I'm sure there are some quality diffs between the aftermarket and the real deal. I'm going to pursue getting the V2 Align head assy. That and a digital servo for the tail should help it out a lot. I don't know anything about the HK 450 helis unfortunately. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
John Ferrell
My Feedback: (1)

Please note that standard shipping from Hobby King is both slow and expensive. However, I am a happy and satisfied customer.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Cleared2Engage

If you're happy with the way it flies, I wouldn't bother changing any of the electronics. 401 is still a great gyro, even years after its debut. HeliHobby still sells the older 450X parts, so you'll have good luck finding V1 parts. That's typically where I get mine. You can even skip the V2 head and go straight to V3 (pro). I'm using the SF mixing arms, torque tube and swashplate from the pro on my 450 V1 (I just call it the V123). The mast, feathering shaft and blade grips are the only head parts that aren't V1 compatible. Good luck to you.