Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Team Associated - Monster GT
Reload this Page >

Evolution of the MGT or great marketing to get the consumer to buy the same truck over and over?

Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Evolution of the MGT or great marketing to get the consumer to buy the same truck over and over?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
driller2948

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution of the MGT or great marketing to get the consumer to buy the same truck over and over?

Chime in what upgrades would you like to see?

The evolution of the MGT! The original .21 lacked power not a true racing powerhouse. The 4.6 was the same not a bad mill tons of torque but no top end. Now 8.0 gobs and gobs of torque and not bad top end, but it's a rebaged heli mill! At lest they did improve the transmission greatly improved! Is it just me? Or would anyone else like to see Associate/Thunder Tiger! Finally upgrade the MGT! This is what I would like to see!

1. Upgraded shocks (I’m using Mugen big bore front threaded shocks they fit maybe the RC8 will fit too)
2. Adjustable shock positions on shock towers
3. Upgraded steering hubs with 8x16mm bearings & 8mm stub axles (I’m using modified RPM to use 8x16mm bearings and HPI Hell Fire 8mm stub axels)
4. Factory team steering linkage included
5. Upgraded drag link, little longer for tighter turn radius (I’m using TD Racing drag link little longer)
6. Optional sway/anti-roll bar kit
7. Lose the plastic mud guards/sides & go with aluminum (I’m using RD Logic aluminum sides)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Voxmagna

Default RE: Evolution of the MGT or great marketing to get the consumer to buy the same truck over and over?

HI driller, hope this helps

“2. Adjustable shock positions on shock towers” [link=http://www.neweramodels.com/index.cgi?model=1031&vehicle_manufact=Associated]Sold by NewEra[/link]
“5. Upgraded drag link, little longer for tighter turn radius (I’m using TD Racing drag link little longer)” A-Arms will have to be revised or grinned down advised by TD
“6. Optional sway/anti-roll bar kit” [link=http://www.rcmart.com/rc-mta4-monster-gtsledge-hammer-agm1311s-hard-steel-antiroll-walloy-chain-holder-p-23792.html]Already exist[/link]
“7. Lose the plastic mud guards/sides & go with aluminum (I’m using RD Logic aluminum sides)” i am no fan of adding more weight to this truck

Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Evolution of the MGT or great marketing to get the consumer to buy the same truck over and over?

I think all the engines the MGT has ever came with were reliable and easy to tune. The .21 was on par with power for its day, I really like my TT 4.6 engines. They run awesome I think[8D] And the 8.0 is a torque monster, just thirsty.

Honestly, the only things I think really need improvement is the suspension geometry, shocks, and they need to use an 8mm axle with a truggy style adapter and a different knuckle to match. Those things would make me very happy.

My brushless MGT weighs about 14 pounds and i swear it seems no matter what i do with the stock shocks, it bottoms out and the front bumper digs in when hitting jumps because it wont support the weight. i think part of it is the fact that the a-arm shock mounts arent out towards the wheel far enough. My savage has never had this issue, and my LST doesent either. Im not spending $60+ to fix it so i guess ill live with it.. Oh and the shock towers are a little weak. The rest of the truck is great though IMO.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 AM
driller2948

I have known for a long time the aftermarket upgrades existed. I bought my first MGT .21 new in 2002, if I remember correctly! I could be wrong, anyone know when the truck came out?
All I was trying to say is why does Associated keep pushing different versions of the same truck and not increase its value buy upgrading it themselves?
I didn’t have to grind my a-arms with TD’s drag link just turn them out a little.
The aluminum mud guards have less mass than the original plastic and actually weigh less.

I don’t want to buy aluminum to get adjustable shock positions.

I still have the original .21 engine with about 10 gallons on it still runs and tunes great fantastic engine. But not on par with the HP or RPM’s of other mills at the time.

The 4.6 & 8.0 are also fantastic engines but nobody really buy’s an RTR based on the RTR engine do they? If that were the case there would be no need for wait for it “what engine should I upgrade my MT truck with thread”!

Suspension geometry, shocks and 8mm axle with a truggy style adapter and a different knuckle to match. Those things would make me very happy. “Most definitely agree”

My set up Picco, .28 Ofna 086 pipe, Alum side guards, RPM Modded knuckles with 8x16mm bearings, 8-Mugen big bore front shocks, 8.0 transmission & spur set up, 8.0 wheels, 7.2v Nihm stick battery & fuel; weighs only 12 lbs 2 oz! My Mugen MBX5T 10 lbs 10 oz.

Marketing is all about getting the product sold, and I understand that! I just wish for once industry would listen to the many that already own. If you improve these few features on your already developed product it will sell. Instead they keep throwing a re-bagged product out that has no real improvements. More power “woo woo”!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
cummins driver

I wish my brushless MGT was that light. Its 13 pounds before i sick the batteries in it. [&:] I could stiffen the suspension some with spacers, but id prefer to not have it sitting at maximum ride height. Guess i could put some limiters in the shocks.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
oskygt

I would like to see the chassis about 2 inches longer.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
ausrcnut

G'day all, its been a long time..!!

Good pointed thread

After owning the MGT 8.0 the best way to describe it is like a Bulldog...!! Compact, Weighty, Tough and full of GRUNT....!! I upgraded the shocks, got my engine modified by PowerHouse, installed the aftermarked header, and CEN GST 7.7 race pipe, installed the swaybar linkage kit. The swaybar link kit improved the handling OUT OF SIGHT...!!... but sadly after only one huge crash, ripped it off one side. THe plastic link arm was what gave way, and the 4mm round swaybar was twisted to hell...! Maybe they have to make it out of proper springsteel... nutters..!!

What I'd like to see as standard are:

* Upgraded Shocks designed for the parametres of the vehicle with the capability of large impacts
* Revised suspension geometry for better cornering and stabilty, yet not compromising the structural integrity
* Revised suspension tuning options such as adjustable shock towers etc
* Although I think the engine's good enough, I still think a .32LRP spec engine would do justice. Would satisfy alround performance and give better fuel economy.
* Larger fuel tank for longer runs. After my engine modification, I drain a tank in under 5mins..!! lol
* Longer chassis...about the same dimenstions as the SavageXL or LosiXXL

The MGT is a really tough truck. I still rate the SavageXL over it, but I still havent broken any OEM parts on it yet (although, its not like I have done any Slayerdude launches, so Im sure it can break..lol)
The Losi XXL works so well because of its added stance, reduced weight, and wider wheels. Maybe I should try out a Proline kit with Bigjoes or Moabs etc...
Anyhow, I hope you are all enjoying your R/C's as much as I am...!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51890.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1725436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78263.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1725437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96532.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1725438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34335.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1725439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59326.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1725440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66394.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	1725441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25551.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	1725442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv74637.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	1725443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc57531.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	1725444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc29558.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	1725445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq71249.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	1725446  
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 AM
ausrcnut

Here's the Bell-Crank steering upgrade installed, Wasnt too sure as the to need to this mod as the OEM part seems stronger,but it did have a little more play in the set which caused the steering slop. The new upgrade took most of the slop out, but to be honest, I think its a mod that you'd only do if you were racing. Bashing, the truck's going to cop hits eitherway.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66211.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	1726387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71468.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	1726388  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
SLAYERDUDE

LOL I haven't even done any real SLAYERDUDE launches and I've broken plenty of stuff.
About 12 feet up is as high as I've taken it so far, broken body posts, knuckles, turnbuckle ends, shocks, and A-arms.

Also Ausrcnut, with an engine mod you normally get better fuel mileage because it makes more efficient use of the fuel...

One upgrade I'd like to see stock is a servo saver built into the steering (like a Savage) instead of having to use a kimbrough servo saver.
A revised trans that has a smoother engagement would likely help the 8.0 clutch shoes last longer.
I know it makes popping wheelies easier when it snaps like that, but that's a pricey clutch to replace every couple gallons even with regular maint, and IMHO it's that snappy engagement in the trans that eats the clutch.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
cummins driver

I think im gonna sell my brushless MGT as a roller before long. I really like the MGT, but I can not make this truck handle or jump how i'd like for it too. I think a lot of the problem is that the shocks are mounted too far in on the a-arms, and the shocks arent big/strong enough for the weight of the truck. I dont want to spend $100+ perfecting these issues, and i get frustrated driving the truck at speed because of how it handles. Thinking im gonna look for a used truggy to take its place and put my electronics in.....
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
ausrcnut

LOL...yeah Slayer, Ive seen your handywork..!! You should be the nominated R/C test pilot...!! I thought the MGT had a servo saver...?? I know the Redcat does. It dominates on the track and for handling and holeshots, but bashing-wise breaks everytime. I totally ripped off the A-arm assembly, lost a drive dogbone...became frontwheel drive. lol.

One thing I have found out is the Rear-Shocks of the Redcat/HSP/Seben Monstertrucks are pretty awesome..!! They fit straight onto the MGT. The are larger diametre shockbodies, thicker springs and alloy shocktops as standard. They should stop the MGT from bottoming out. I have only one each side of the Redcat (mind you its half the weight) but I can drop the Redcat from 1.3metres without it bottoming out..!! So two on each side of the MGT should work wonders. I can totally understand what you are saying about spending out on the MGT, but its what has to be done to get the truck to PURE BASH SPEC & CREDIT...!! I have spent a fair bit on it including motor, but its an absolute weapon now, and gets 'cred' just sitting there. Only other mods will be some SavageFlux 17mm hex's so I can try some different wheels to increase its handling. If I found a wheel with a large offset, it will do the truck some justice. Any vehicle both R/C and fullscale requires $$$$ to get it to hardcore spec. Even my daily driver is requiring some hard $$$$ to get it to not break at the dragstrip. So I totally understand this.

The billet shocks I have, unfortunately were designed for racing, not bashing, and so it was a big disappointment. The problem is the shockbody diametre is smaller than the standard shocks but with harder springs. So they have a faster action rate but provide more contour over series of multiple bumps. I just changed one of each gold spring to a red, and its improved (1.25ft drop) without bottoming out. I will try both red springs next and test. Im sure will work out to at least 2ft total drop-off without bottoming out, and will search for singlehole plungers to increase dampening. They will work out better than the standard shocks with red springs because the billet shocks have less harsh dampening, allowing the larger springs to absorb the impact without the truck rebounding back off its wheels as they tend to do with the standard shocks/dual-redspring combo. Failing that, I will buy the Redcat rear shocks and be done with it. I have seen a full SavageXL on Ebay for $500 with spare parts and aftermarket shocks. Am VERY tempted to grab it as they are $899 here brand new...!! Then I will finally have my
SavageXL-Super Dominator-SLAYERDUDE-Extreme Machine... LOL. But $500 is a full roller-cam setup for my V8, so its a gamble.

With the Savage XL, I will install the CEN7.7 aftermarket shocks, a 9kg steering servo and an Associated LRP .32, or an OS-Max X-tec .30 with supported racepipe. They are amazing engines, internally weight-balanced cranks and all. My mate bought the XXL, and its almost faultless out of the box. Only issue is the gearbox (which is the XXL's downfall), he already has chipped gear teeth than jammed up the box. Apart from that, AWEOSME suspension and handling, but my MGT still gets it on a holeshot.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
SLAYERDUDE

The MGT and Tmaxx are strikingly similar, and I have Tmaxx springs that were custom wound on my MGT, it handles well with them.
Another reason I hold the Savage as superior.
Longer travel shocks and suspension...
In 13 gallons I have replaced ONE lower A-arm on my XL and after it cracked, I put a screw in it and ran another gallon.
You can't do that with a MGT or Tmaxx (same type of arms).
Broke a knuckle on the Savage, just switch to the other side and I was back in action within 10 minutes and spent $0.
Can't do that with the MGT either...
No one at an LHS carries MGT parts, there's another 3 days down when I fixed the same for free and in 10 minutes with the Savage.
Having a Savage XL and MGT 8.0, the Savage wins in all aspects.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
ausrcnut

Totally agree on the superiority of the SavageXL. Just look as how its constructed, (most will say complicated and hard to work on) but its pretty damn well impressively engineered...!! Someone definitely wanted to build a Spec truck, and put a hell of a lot into it...!! After owning the SavageX 4.6, it was my fav and stilll is. Totally agree with you there mate...!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 AM
cummins driver

I agree the savage is a stronger/better designed truck to bash in most aspects. The MGT is nicer in that its easier to work on, the differentials are much stronger than any of the .21/.25/older X savage trucks(pre BP gear), and I like the CVD's as well. Ill have to say mine rarely breaks though. Its been pretty tough. It may resemble a t-maxx, but its 10 times stronger IMO. My T-Maxx was always broke.

My savage suspension is bone stock and the truck basically never bottoms out, but its not so stiff that it handles bad either. Its just a good design.

And my LST2 i'd have to say has the best suspenion of any MT. Huge bore aluminum shocks and they are easily adjustable so withing minutes you can have the thing slammed on the ground or raised way up in the air. Very nice setup IMO. I also like the low range transmission, but I have had a couple transmission issues. Its a very solid truck over all though and it handles awesome. Its amazing how good it stays on its feet.

I may still stick with my MGT and work on the handling some more, i guess the handling just seems a lot worse with a brushless where the power is instant and can make the truck unstable at any speed. I had some stock t-maxx wheels on it and it seemed like it handled much better then. I think the low profile tires with less traction allowed it to spin and slide around instead of pulling wheelies and flipping in the turns. So i may try some more of those before i give up on it since the rest of the truck has been so good.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM
ausrcnut

****yeah... do that MGT up...!!! Seriously reckon Redcat Avelanche rear shocks will be awesome. I just bought the Savage XL...!!!! lol
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM
ausrcnut

I know Associated LRP's are awesome, but I might try out an OS-Max Xtec .30 in the XL. Talk about evolution... this thread is starting to evolve....to SAVAGE..!!! oooow....!!!! lol. [>:]
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
ausrcnut

Just bought some 60 and 80 weight oils for the MGT shocks. Will try a few combinations before I buy more springs or new shocks altogether. Got some alloy CEN shocks for the SavageXL, futaba 9kg metal gear steering servos and cotrol servos, CEN diff mod, gettin it all ready for the tough stuff..!! Now ill just wait till I blow up the XL engine before I buy the OS.30. XD

Has anyone seen an aftermarket Longer MGT chassis...? Ive seen someone remake a MGT but using a flatpan chassis instead. Due to the weight of it, not sure how long it'd last, but with the right dimensions Im sure could make something work out pretty successfully. I was also going to see if I could mount my pipe to the rear so I can fit another fuel tank in, or find another larger tank to take its place. I'd really like at least 8min run times.

Has anyone else done any other mods to their MGT..?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Voxmagna

i have a similar one on standby until i can get it duplicated
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 AM
ausrcnut

Where, How, Who, What...!!?? lol. Thats **** awesome..!! Detail me on this unit mate...!!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 AM
ausrcnut

Look out Savage, MGT's been pumped full of steroids....!!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Voxmagna

lmao its on standby because you will never find it, [link=http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=21015]production ended years ago[/link]. I agree with you 2” longer would be nice

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I made custom body posts on a lathe and installed springs cut in half to keep the posts and tower from breaking, they bounce up and down with the springs.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM
ausrcnut

I cant see why this hasnt been put into production yet... Soooo many people looking for a larger MGT...!! You can send me one if you like...!! XD
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
ausrcnut

Nice work mate...!! Does the application lend itself well to the result.? I was thinking of making my posts out of stainless so the posts would be more supportive then they and the towers would act like a roll bar... providing the towers were upto it.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Yes, you can do this with the stock towers and posts.
Just install the screw under the tower instead of thru the hole in the tower to allow it to spring down.
Haven't broken a body post since I've done this.
Only reason I made some posts out of alum was the boss at work bought a used lathe and I had some stock laying around lol.
(this design is not my original idea)

I was snapping body posts like twigs before this, even stole some off an old Tmaxx to keep it going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.