Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:22 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Old Pattern Planes

The Tipo was designed for old style (non tyurnaround) pattern. It is ok today to get your feet wet in pattern but is not going to be a real competitive model. Reason being is Tiupos and models of that generation are smaller much more heavily loaded than modern designs. They fly a lot faster and are not suited for aresti (turnaround) type flying.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike,

got the info on that plane.

It is the XLT he has for sale. Model can be purchased with or without servos. He prefers to keep the engine , but will sell if really wanted. A new Irvine 61 with rear exhaust and tuned pipe. He also has the plans for this model. The model is ready to go as is.

If your interested or want more info lmk & I'll get a price and put you both together directly.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM
MMcConville

Thanks for the info. The XLT a a little newer than the models I'm looking for. Thanks though!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Well you have all got me thinking. I have about 10 vintage pattern planes hanging around and I am going to bring them all to Toledo. Look me up in the swap shop.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:06 AM
MMcConville

What do you have?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Mike,
There is a descent RC auction in our area this weekend. I will keep you in mind if I see anything on sat. Auction is Sun...
Last year there were a couple, one being a new EU1-A kit. If I see anything I will get a number and send a note to you Sat evening.
Scott
Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 AM
oo shee
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

Not one of the planes you're looking for, but I own a brand new, never flown Henry Piorun Eqinox from the mid eighties. It is the version with the upright mounted engine. Go power is a .61 OS VF. I did convert the plane from tricycle retracts to a tail dragger (I know thats heresy but I like tail draggers). I like the plane just for its novelty, since you're not likely to see another one around. I'm hoping to fly it this summer.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Mike Mc:

The Taurus was design for reeds ( You remember those radio's) and for propo,the rudder and wing were modified for this type of flying..I beleive the rudder were enlarged and the wing swept back a little more...Don't know how much..ask around...am sure you can find out the exact modifications............Enjoy
Old 02-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi, Mike. Name's Ken Wilson(Starfighter). I am a very pleased owner of a couple of your designs, the 33% Cap 232 and the Sukhoi. The CAP has a 3W85ib2, and the Sukhoi a 3W100ib2. Both planes perform excellently.
I have a vintage kit for sale, a Midwest Mach1. It is NIB, and still in very good shape(Midwest wood is surperb, and the stuff in this kit is flawless). THe canopy has clouded from age though, but could easily be painted over.
I also have a MK Blue Angel (fiberglass/foam), built but not finished. You see, at one time I was into pattern, but now I'm into 33% and larger acft. I will never build the Mach1, and I may finish the Blue Angel if I dont sell it.
If interested, send me a PM. Anyway, thanx for the CAP and the Sukhoi. They are the best value out there for the money.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:51 PM
GEMcLean
My Feedback: (3)

Hi, Mike!

I would love to have one of my old Tipos back. We really had a ball competing with them in the early 80's. (I think you were about 16 when my son, Jeff and I used to fly with you. I am currently flying a 25 year old Brushfire. (I think it is a Steve Rojecki design, right?)

Also building a couple of different sizes of P-51 Mustangs. Yup, Scale, can you believe it?

I miss those days when the crazy "Ohio Bunch" would travel the Midwest in the summer. Great memories.

I take it you are doing well. I see your picture lots. You have changed a bit since I saw you last.

Our best to you.

Gordon McLean
Old 01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

I bought an old pattern plane at a swap meet. Not sure what it is. It says "custom built by Ed Mills" inside. Looks like the fuselage was carved out of a solid piece of balsa!. Ever heard of this guy??
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 AM
MMcConville

Nope
Old 01-21-2006, 09:12 PM
mradcliff

Mike
A friend called this past week and has a P5 for sale. I know the plane and I believe it's in very good condition. If your interested I'll get him in touch with you.
Mark
Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM
MMcConville

Yes, I'm interested Mark.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:45 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Since we are on the subject of Tiporares.... Does anyone have the plans that came with the fiberglass Tipo 750?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Hey Mike,
David and I just took in a couple of old planes on consignment. We have a Taurus and a Cygnus. The Cygnus we have is the 1965 Best finish winner from Toledo. We also have the Oct 1965 RCM featuring the build acticle of both planes. The Taurus has never been flown and is mint condition. The Cygnus has a few dings, but is in excellent condition. The Cygnus come with the original Vecco .40. No electronics in either. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Brian
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Spun

Mike, Ive got one, I believe is a Curare, I was gonna' re-do it but dont have time. Its basically a "basket case" in Harley terms. I could let it go for damn near nothing( read as free). I have the old air retracts and all. You want pay shipping and its yours.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
MMcConville

Hi Gordon,

I missed your post in there till just now. Its great to hear from you!!!! Man, its been years. Its great to see that your still flying. How about Jeff?

Where do you live now days? Hey, scale models are great. Unlike we all thought back in the 70's and 80's, they can fly great.

Btw, The Brushfire is a Ken Bonnoma (sp?) deisgn, Rojo was a close friend of Ken's and flew it. Ken also designed the FYI Leaf bipe that Tony Frackowiak flew in the F3A worlds in '89 as well as the Reed Falcon that Rojo won the '84 TOC with.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:13 PM
MMcConville

Is it a fiberglass fuse or wood? Any photos?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
MMcConville

Yes, lets talk
Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 PM
GEMcLean

Hi, Mike,

Bonnie and I moved to Lutz, FL (Tampa suburb) 3 years ago. Jeff is a Major in the Air Force, doing counseling, not flying, and is currently stationed at Camp Sather, Baghdad, Iraq.

Would love to catch up sometime. My e-mail is [email protected].

BTW if you find an old (or new) Tipo, I'm interested.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Spun

Mike, its fibergalss fuse sheeted foam wings. I'll get a few pics of it up for you via e-mail. We had hit on it in a post last year. It was given to me but I just dont have time to mess with it. So, its yours if you want it.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Mike are you going to run the old pattern engines in planes or update to a Saito 90-125? I keep looking for a complete YS61 setup for my pheonix but think I may hog out the hatch for something modern.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
MMcConville

I want to run vintage everything except for the radio gear. The YS is too new though for the Phoenix and Curare era. I have two NIB Supertiger Bluehead 61s that I got a few years ago, so I'm good on the engines.

In that era, it was more Webra, OS, SuperTiger and Rossi I think. YS really came onto the scene with force in the 80's when the F3A schedules went to turn "turnaroud" format, which was in '84.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Two NIB blue heads, thats a rare find. I still have two well broken in Blue Heads one G and one X version..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.