Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

JR radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:58 PM
ciur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR radio

Woops

Do you think trying to balance the battery pack with a parallel conection to a seccond batery pack would be wise? Is it recomended? Or do you think I should better try slow charging?

Thankyou
Old 03-11-2005, 08:24 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Ciur,
I wouldn't do it unless recommended. I don't know if it is recommended. Try the slow charging, but keep watch of it or your pack may melt due to the severe discharging. I have had a few packs (NI-CAD) melt on me during a normal discharge.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:11 PM
ciur

Guys:

The battery pack is fine, and totally charged; the fuse is fine (Checked with the multimeter), then I'll send it for a revision at tha factory.

Another Isue:

I have a C20 ESC (From... Great Planes), I read the instructions wich said (for speed 400 and some 500 and 600 motors), tried it with a new plane (speed 600, at 11.1 v, 105 ma/h) and it won't longer work. I think I'll change my nickname to the burning guy or short circuit.. The led turns on with a proporcional intensity to the throtle, but any motor will work with it. Do you think I burned it?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
50%plane

Ciur,

I don't understand from what you wrote what your problem is. I have a c20 or c30 and I think it was meant for a 5-7 or 8 cell ni-cad or ni-mh. Could you have discharged the battery back (I assume li-poly) beyond where it should be discharged. The Great Planes(R) speed controls are not lithium safe. Try a regular battery pack in the correct range. If that doesn't work, try the motor via a direct connection. If they work, your c20 is shot.

When you get your radio back from the factory, let us know what the problem was.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Woops, Can you give me some specifics. That kind of service is not somethig we want to give and is not our norm. If I have specifics I can look into it and make it right.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
50%plane

Mike,

I can't give you specifics because I dont know them. I did see the damaged radio and don't know the name of the owner. He said he was going to try another manufacturer and junked his old radio. I have heard more stories of bad service that usually end in "I ain't going with JR again!".

At the flying field yesterday, a guy with a mini funtana had the shaft of the e-flite motor break during a landing. If you give good service to him and any others that I know, then I would say that your problem with bad service has been solved. At least according to my wallet. Remember, if (insert manufacturer here- that includes Futaba-) gives me bad service or a bad product I won't buy it. I'm sure that many others feel the same way.

With all that being said, if JR brings out a comparable radio to the 14MZ I might make it my first JR radio.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 PM
BobbyRichardson

Guys Horizon has a great reputation in our hobby. I wish we had more manufactors with the same customer service as they do. I've been buying Horizon products for a long time and they have always been fair with me. Mike has also designed some great products at fair prices for all of us to enjoy.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
MMcConville

Bobby, thanks for the kind words.

Woops, I'd really like to help in any way I can.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:56 PM
bentgear

Based on my dealings with Horizon I think that most instances of bad service lay on the individual making the initial call. If they call with an attitude thats just what they get back. Not just Horizon, every service center I have ever dealt with. Now, sometimes things go wrong - on both ends - its how the parties handle the situation that makes it win/win or this sucks.

I still don't understand why some folks start off an initial contact with any service center telling them how sorry their product is, how bad they expect the service to be, how they will never buy anything from them again and then expect the service tech to kiss their rear end and make everything right with new parts, shipped overnight, at no cost. You would think they could save that for someone up the chain of command if the initial contact didn't work out.

Ed M.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

As a dealer myself and talking to the customer and sevice, Horizon service is the best. I find it interesting that most negitive comments are made by people that heard something from someone they can't name and don't know the details. I find these people to have little experence and will believe anything they hear. Dennis
Old 03-15-2005, 07:01 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello guys, I been using JR for 10 years now 388,8103,10x now, an I always got great support from horizon, I had to send two radios back (one from a friend of mine), I did have problems with a Futaba G and the support was terrible, but I do not mean that Futaba's support is bad , maybe it was that they that guy, I don't know, but this can happen to anyone in any moment with any company.

I think the the Futaba MX it is breakthrough, as Mike said there's two computer there interfaced so it looks good, but at the end, I don't know of many people that can really get everything out of the 10X or the 9WC2, there's two many features that probably 90% or more of the people will not use, and I think my 10X still looks better in appeal, I don't know about the feeling of the radio.

By the way Mike, after the MX came out, I thought how nice will be to have this audio function in the radio, but, for example, if you could record a pattern sequence and move to the next maneuver when you hit a sw like the snap roll sw, most of us that practice alone will benefit from it, and imagine storing different patterns. Besides that I don't think 2048Bits can be feel while flying with the digital servos.

Cheers

P.D. It seems that there's more JR decals in airplanes that Futaba, pride???
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
mc3854
My Feedback: (6)

I didn't think you would be able to tell the difference between 1024 and 2048 but I'm here to tell you, you can!!!! I installed the new receiver in my Extra, measured all the throws so they would be exactly the same. I didnt' do this trying to see if there was a difference, I did it so my plane would be the same. The first flight was like I had been handed a transmitter with the plane set up very sensitive. I think its because the transmitter and receiver talk to each other 40% faster than my 1024!! Whatever, you can tell the difference!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 AM
50%plane

Mike,

Since all the JR fans keep ravng about JR, I will probably have to go with JR as my next radio. If JR brings out competion to the 14MZ, it will be heavly considered.(especialy if it's cheaper)
Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because it is a digital signal (computers) you have now doubled the resolution i.e. I'm not sure but I think I read that a digital servo has around 700+ points or possible positions in between the maximum travel, this number is obviously duplicated with 2048Bits, that doesn't mean the average modeler can take real and significant advantage from this (I think, I still have to try it), or at least not with my !QUOT!not!QUOT! world class skills.

Does it feels that sensitive after dialing Expo?, I'm wondering if after setting up the radio the felling and precision remain that crisp and if it still can be appreciated to improve the flying skills, Don't take me wrong I'm not saying is bad or not necessary,I'm wondering how good it is, and the resolution is probably the best or useful feature in the MX, of course in computers all number duplicates when increasing capacity, speed, etc. This 2048 will be the standard in all radios in the close future, and then 4096Bits etc. (Funny fact, when I was in college, microprocessor had only 16Bits(or 8?), if I remember well ,it was the Intel 8080, just look at we have in our radios today)
Old 03-16-2005, 10:11 AM
rjklein
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought a new 10X from Don's Hobby shop for less than $700. You can not beat the quality, or the price. The 10x does everything you could possible want, and you can program your plane without even getting the manual out of the box.

Rob
Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 AM
mc3854

Don't mean to take up the JR space here. There are other posts to talk about the 14mz! After a few minutes of flying I believe I became adjusted to it!!!! There are some things I now do on low rate rather then high. I guess the biggest thing I notice is how quick the rolls start and stop now. I assume because of the faster rate!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 PM
50%plane

rjklein,

What features beyond the 9C would you possibly want? I paid $320 for my 9C (less than half of what you paid for your 10X) and only use half of the features.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
mc3854

I don't have a 10X!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:01 PM
ciur

High again; It's ciur from México, Guys, I finally received my radio, the problem was that there was no conuctivity between the sockets of the fuse [:@], I checked it with a fluck and didn't noticed it, that was weird.

Regards
Old 05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
50%plane

Thanks for letting us know. I hope that you don't have any more trouble with it. Also, I hope that you will come to America legally some time. Please don't try to cross the boarder(especially with grandmothers sitting on lawn chairs using binoculars a mile away from the boarder). Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 AM
MMcConville

Woops, if that comment is supposed to be funny, its not. Please keep that kind of comment out of RCU.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 AM
50%plane

Mike,
If you are talking about the grandmothers sitting in lawnchairs comment it was litterally accurate and not meant to be funny. It was in reference to the Minuteman Project, which I believe has ended for the time being, but will start back up in a couple months on the ENTIRE southern boarder as well as parts of the northern boarder. If you paid any attention to the Mexican media( and I don't expect you to) these mainly grandmothers were maid out to be trigger happy mexican haters.(this happened some in the American media as well.)
If you were talking about the I hope that you don't have any trouble with it comment, It was sincere.(even though I currently fly a 9C I don't hate those who fly with JR)
And if you were talking about the I hope you come to America comment, That was sincere.I don't hate Mexicans.But this is your forum, and I respect your opinion so I'm sorry for what you feel I shouldn't have written and will try not to write anything offensive in your forum.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 PM
ciur

Thank you woops, I won't try. And I totally get it .
And Mike, I totally understand the issue, but don't worry I don't find it ofensive.
But let's keep political issues out of this, I used to work for a NJ company, and almost every single aspect of my favorite hobby is made in the USA, so I have no problem with our countries relation. And Woops though I've flown 2 o 3 times with that JR, most of my airplanes (electric) are flown with a 4 chanel Hitec.
Well see you then, excelent forum!!! Congratulations!!!

Let's see if you come to fly to Mexico City some day, its fun to fly at 8000 feet avove sea level, in a very poluted valley!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:38 AM
50%plane

Do you have any pictures of your field? If so I would love to see them.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 AM
MMcConville

8000 feet! That must be fun. Do you use DA-150 on 40 size airplanes? I'd love to try to fly at that altitude some time. And I thought Tucson was high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.