Practicing Autorotation Hyper Raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 PM
zorka
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practicing Autorotation Hyper Raptor 50

Hi,

I need to practice auto rotations with my raptor. Just started flying it and its great but have not had an emergerncy jet but want to be ready when it does happens happens as I been told it will happen!. Have my trotte hold pitch curve programed at -6 and maximum at the positive pitch (probably over +10).

Question: To practice the feeling of the heli gliding in auto if I fly high and hit the Hold button after I have glided the Heli for a bit in order to release the hold button and engage engine again to continue flying is it best to have the trotle stick at which percentage position when the hold button is disgaged to activate engine? lown end middle position 25%? Is there a rule of tumb for this? Dont want to try a test and damagee clutch at disingaging Hold buttond cause trottle to high up? Also dont want the heli to plumet down cause a very low stick when disingaging hold button would slow head speed down?

Want to start practicing with out actually landing the heli (Very high up and powering up at a safe altitude again),.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thx
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: Practicing Autorotation Hyper Raptor 50

http://www.ronlund.com/autos.htm

One trick I like is to bump up the throttle hold so the blades are spinning above an idle and teach people to shoot them right to ground, flare, then forward stick to level for landing.

As they get comfortable I lower the throttle hold setting until they are doing them with the clutch disengaged.

Just make sure to level out and give a hair forward stick at touch down. Also its good to get the blades a bit tighter than normal in the grips, both of those will help prevent boom strikes.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
WhtBronco

Yeap, I started with the hold a bit above where the clutch engages and quickly found I didn't need to. it did make me feel better though of course to have the blades powered when I bailed out. You might also consider changing the negative pitch to -3 or -4 degrees rather than -6. You don't need -6 for normal autos and may end up descending faster than needed. You'll be surprised at just how well the Raptor 50 autos. I sure was.

The other you could consider it flipping the switch while in a hover just 2m up. My first forced auto was from 4m and it was just like landing with power from that altitude. The risk of getting the headspeed too low from only 2m is low and starting out low may help you be more comfortable. It would also be a good idea to try it on a simulator first if you have access to 1.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
jez33

its funny as my 1st ever auto was a forced auto when the engine cut on my rap 30 v1,, though i did practice on a sim before i couldnt believe i landed it upright and with no blade contact..lol

later that day the engine cut again and again i landed it and this time was perfect...so this gave me the confidence to do them more..
Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
zorka
My Feedback: (4)

Thx Guys! Do have acces to XTR Reflex and have done the autos fine there from various altitudes but get different opinions from pilots in my local club and its always great to be able to expand those opinions in these forums. Will try the recommendations you guys have suggested.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
carlyle

I'm going to try and sugest to you to run -10 degrees of pitch in your throttle hold (or whatever your mininum pitch is in idle up). Doing this now will help you down the road. I had to switch over after I learn't how to do it with -6. When you start doing inverted autos, or anything like that, you will like having a even amount of pitch positive and negative.

It's just a thought.