Notices

Raptor 30 clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 11:14 AM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 clutch problems

While spooling up my newly finished Raptor 30 ARF for its 5th flight the clutch broke. Whats up with this? I was using a Heliproz clutch shim to specifically prevent this from happening and it happened anyway? Is there a high defect rate in the stock Raptor 30 clutch design? Is there a tried and true better aftermarket clutch available?
Old 12-25-2001, 12:18 PM
Scotty740

It seems like the Raptor clutch has had it's share of problems. I don't run the shim but do file down the hub a bit under the shoes. I've run several gallons of fuel through my 2 Raptors without a clutch problem. I believe a lot of the problems others see is due to clutch liner clearance. I put one wrap of electrical tape around my clutch and insert it into the bell when I epoxy in the new liner. Some put a liner made of a business card in the bell before adding the lining. Keep the clearance small and I don't think you'll see many problems.

There are 4 other Raptors flying at my field and there has only been one clutch failure that I'm aware of.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:30 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had two with stock cluchtes that worked fine, I upgraded one just because of fear of it breaking which it never did, just peace of mind, they must have had a bad batch or something as there have been a few out there that have broke.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:32 PM
ShempHoward

Ooooppps...Spoke too soon based upon what an experienced friend thought at the field. Now that its apart the clutch appears OK. I still can't figure out why the mains won't spool up
yet the tail rotors would. Mre on this as it develops and I figure out whats going on with this thing.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:22 PM
Scotty740

It does sound like the motor was running backwards. I've had it happen especially when the mixture is too rich on the bottom. It would backfire and start going in reverse. Try setting the idle up a little higher and that should help keep it from doing that.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:47 PM
volare
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, those are the symptoms of a backwards-running engine. But you've probably tried restarting it, right? If you have and it does that every time there may be something really odd going on...
Old 12-27-2001, 02:29 AM
HeliDriver

Hey Shemp Howard,

I have put over 50 hours on the clutch in my raptor 30 and have only just recently put in the shim that you are refering to, I didn't notice a diferance and have never had any problems. I do remember some of the horror stories that came out when the raptor first hit the market. I'm pretty sure my machine was in one of the first runs and aside from any misshaps with the ground due to dumb thumbs I havn't had ant of the problems that they were having for a while. I think it has more to do with how you intend to fly it, if you fly it hard and ring it out every time you fly then you may see some design probs.

Heli on,
Shannon
Old 12-27-2001, 11:09 AM
ShempHoward

Well, Fitenfyr and Scotty740 were right on the money with their diagnosis as was Volare
too. I can't believe we didn't notice this problem with the engine running backwards at the field when it happened twice in a row - Duh! Time for some adjustments.

Helidriver - I bought the Heliproz shim based upon all the problems I had read about Raptor clutches self destructing about 1 1/2 years ago when I first bought my Raptor. I can't believe they charged $5 for this piece of sheet metal that did'nt even fit right until I opened up the center a bit more. I only recently put the Raptor 30 together so I had something to fly while installing the V2 upgrades on my Raptor 60 which I like much better at this stage.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:13 AM
HeliDriver

You are a bigger man than I, how was the V1 raptor 60 holding up? I have seen lots of them fly at fun flys and a couple of guys in our heli club fly raptor 60's and they seem to like them. I have been trying to keep track of the V2 upgrades and have decided to wait on the raptor 60 and let them get feild tested befor I purchase one. I was however very impressed with their agility as a stock heli. I haven't had the chance to fly one yet but would be interested in how they compare with some of the other 60 size machines in flight. Do you feel like you got your moneys worth even after you had to install the V2 upgrades?

Heli on,
Shannon
Old 12-28-2001, 10:09 PM
ShempHoward

Helidriver: My advice in the area of Helis is very limited. I first learned on my Raptor 60
V1 which I find to be more stable and easier to fly than the 30 but bigger flies better. The V2 upgrades will help some but mainly in the new head are where it should become smoother. Read the RCM (John Benario) review
for a more concise and informative opinion than anthing I could possibly offer given my limited experience. I think ths Raptor 60 got a real undeserved bum rap among many experienced Heli flyers when it first came out. It did have some problems but TT has stood behind the machine and passed along the V2 upgrades free and also provides good user support. I can't complain about the low parts count and parts prices relative to most other 60 size machines.

When I get to be a more accomplished Heli pilot (in a few years maybe) I would like to build an Xcell Fury but that's a pipe dream now.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:54 AM
HeliDriver

ShempHoward: Yikes learning to fly on a 60! You lucky duck, HeHeHe.

Thank you for the info I will look for the review.

Trust me just keep sparkin it, even pipe dreams can come true

Heli on,
Shannon
Old 12-29-2001, 03:39 PM
Tom Day

Though your problem wasn't a clutch afterall, I've had some experience with a Raptor 30 failure after fewer than 25 flights. Here's the drill as I understand it. The shim simply keeps the clutch off of the fan so that it doesn't catch--that apparently can cause some failures. My ARF and kit both have had shims included in them--so it's generally a problem that's known and taken care of.

The most common failure is the clutch stretching out so your rotor is always spinning. This seems to happen when the gap between the lining and the clutch is too big--so the clutch travel is high--hence the clutch gets too stretched out and doesn't snap back. Also, you might be fine, even with a gap that's a bit big--but on a particularly cold day find you suddenly stretch the clutch out--I think the cold affects the clutch clearance and the springiness of the clutch. Finally, if you take your head speed up very high--that can be the last straw if the gap is big.

Replacement of the clutch is pretty easy, but a new lining is tougher since the bell is hard to get at and get it off.

But--you don't have a clutch problem...

Tom
Old 07-22-2006, 01:07 PM
luisscazador

Default RE: Raptor 30 clutch problems

[X(]