Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Favorite method for fiberglassing wing center sections

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Favorite method for fiberglassing wing center sections

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Capt. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite method for fiberglassing wing center sections

What is your favorite method for fiberglassing wing center sections? I have used regular resin and finishing resin but this is my favorite to ensure a smooth, bubble free application.

After sanding the center section, mark off the location of the fiberglass tape.
Mask off the rest of the wing with tape and newspaper
From 12 inches away spray a light coat of 3M Super 77 adhesive on the tape area and let dry for about 15 minutes.
Apply the tape and position and press smooth. Don't wrap the tape around the wing, do it in two pieces.
Coat the tape with thin CA glue. It will spread evenly over the tape as you apply it. No need to spread it out.
The fiberglass tape color will change from white to balsa colored so you can see which areas still need CA.
Add some thin CA to the balsa area next to the tape to aid in sanding.

This takes a lot of thin CA and generates a lot of fumes so do it in a well ventilated area or best do it outside.

Last edited by Capt. Bill; 04-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 PM
digital_trucker

Anything that securely bonds the cloth or tape will do. I've used resin, epoxy, Titebond, CA, and Ambroid.

Titebond stinks the least, Ambroid sands the best.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut Carbon Graphite fabric on the bias so the weave runs + - 45 degrees. Laminate the fabric with an epoxy laminating resin, peel ply, bleeder fabric, and vacuum bag. The lightest, strongest way to reinforce a center section joint. Not that much more work for a much better result.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:34 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
The Ca glue metod is no good! Its messy and the surface gets to hard.
A much better metod is to just lay out several layers 25g glass Weave (or 105g satin weave) on the center section, shaped to a diamond form for strongest and stiffest structure, and then pour on some 24 or 30 hour epoxy, spread out with SIG plastic spreader or soft brush.
No contact spray is needed or should be used. When the epoxy has dried after one or two days it's hard but easily sanded with 240 paper. Oracover plastic film is then easily fastened to the glass surface.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	klä med plastfilm 1 008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	2158238  

Last edited by jaka; 04-20-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

o.k but what do you do with arfs? I just epoxy the wings together as instructed and have never had one separate. Even in a mid air collision they have stayed together.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Capt. Bill

Originally Posted by raptureboy
o.k but what do you do with arfs? I just epoxy the wings together as instructed and have never had one separate. Even in a mid air collision they have stayed together.
ARFs are designed differently and the center ribs are often plywood, many balsa kits the fiberglass is the main thing holding the two wing halves together.