Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Grass Runway Maintenance.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Grass Runway Maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:59 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal! You saved your runway and have some tasty treats in the process
Old 03-07-2017, 03:44 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm glad I caught these buddies. I was worried I would come up empty handed again. I've reset the trap but no new catch. Due to rainy weather, I deactivated the trap. Rain washes the diesel off the corn and deer may get trapped. I'll reset it when weather clears. This hog problem has created more work for me.

BTW, I've been watching YouTube videos of RC flying off grass and gravel type runways. I found that my runway is pretty smooth by comparison. I have a welding project I am starting soon. While I'm at it I am going to make a roller and see if I can make am aerator as you suggested. Work, work, work. I should be flying instead of working. I've been retired a long time. I've found I do more work retired than when I was employed. Something wrong with this picture. BUT, I would not change a thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
ETpilot

Today is a really good day. I have a beloved 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It is my airplane transport vehicle for club flying. For the past year or so it has been a nightmare. It started to just randomly stall out. Not reliable and dangerous to drive. I have been, methodically over time, checking systems and eliminating good systems as I did my troubleshooting. It finally lead me to the Power Control Module, PCM computer. Today I replaced it and Jeep is running sweet as ever. At least so far. Happy Camper but time will tell.

When I was actively flying, I built an engine starting station. It fit perfectly on my little utility trailer. So that is how I transported my plane to the runway. Last March I had an airplane mishap. I decided to build a longer fuselage. I also decided to, temporarily, give up on flying and take care of home projects that needed attention. So now I am ready to fly again. I retrieved my now decrepit starting station and find it is too short for the airplane. So I have to build a new one and make it a bit longer. I've measured all the planes I have built to make sure they fit. I now have to decide how long a fuselage I may build in the future. Then I can get this new project going. Always something.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2204512   Click image for larger version

Views:	36
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2204513   Click image for larger version

Views:	37
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	2204514   Click image for larger version

Views:	27
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2204515  
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM
ETpilot

I finally found some time to work on my engine starting station. First I want to show off my modified water hose reel. The store bought model did not last long before it started leaking. It seems most reels leak. I started this project 1 ½ years ago. I really need this utility reel now so I got back on the project by assembling my components. I had gutted the original set up and made a new feed tube and swivel out of PVC. Pressure tested to 75 PSI. Hope to give it an operational test soon. Not good looking; just a farm utility reel.

A couple of pictures on my new engine starting station. My old station was the bare minimum. I had no space for the starter, starter battery nor especially the transmitter. This new station will allow for all that plus a decent work area if needed. I still need to add the legs and wing trap. It will be a bit heavier but manageable. All my planes will fit plus there is room for larger planes. I'll post a final picture when completed.

Views:	33
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2206173   Click image for larger version

Views:	21
Size:	877.1 KB
ID:	2206174   Click image for larger version

Views:	28
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	2206175  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM
ETpilot

Starting station is done. It just needs a couple of smal wood pieces, fuselage hold down straps and some more screws. Anything else I might do to it will come when I put it into service. This should work out good. I have a welding project I need to start. Getting warm in Texas. I need to finish it before it gets hot hot in Texas. While I am at it, I will make a tail trap for the airplanes.

Views:	25
Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	2206318   Click image for larger version

Views:	23
Size:	868.1 KB
ID:	2206319  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking pretty good.

I wish it would get hot here. Made up to 60 this weekend but "normal" is mid to upper 40's.

Ken
Old 03-21-2017, 03:18 AM
ETpilot

The last cold day here was a few days back. Fired up the wood burning stove then let it burn out during the day. It may be the last burn of the season. Temperatures going up to the 80's this week. It is warming up fast here. It may be a direct change from Winter to Summer. Not good. Ken, you are free to send some cold weather this way. Lol.