Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Making wood propellers

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Making wood propellers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Henrik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making wood propellers

Hi Jim.

My maschine is 100% manual, hand operated. I made it myself, had a lot of troubles how to, but as you see it went out to work at last. I don't have any drawings, but I will give you the nessacairy help if you need it. Maybe Roger ( aerografics) still has the small drawings I made for him some time ago. Roger made one almost like mine and this maschine also works ok. Any way, I'm always here to give you help.

Henrik
Old 11-16-2002, 06:44 PM
georgemay

Hi Jim,

I still have parts from machine I had before. Shafts, linear bearings etc. No plans - sorry.

Here is my attempt to create prop blade from scratch.
All I can tell you it takes helluva time.
Using CNC is much easier

Old 11-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by georgemay
Hi Jim,

I still have parts from machine I had before. Shafts, linear bearings etc. No plans - sorry.

Here is my attempt to create prop blade from scratch.
All I can tell you it takes helluva time.
Using CNC is much easier

George, when I first opened the photo, I thought it was my machine.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Henrik

Hi George and Roger.

When I need a new type of prop. I always makes one single blade by hand, copies this in two halves to be my new masterprop, in this way the two blades will bee 100% equal. Making one blade of course takes a little time, but having done this a couple of times, it's easy. The masterprop will have epoxy and polished to give a strong surface for the router. Tomorrow i'll make some fotos to the forum, it looks like several is interested. By the way Roger, do you still have the small drawings? or shall we make a set for the coming propmaschinebuilders???

Henrik
Old 11-16-2002, 08:12 PM
georgemay

Hey Roger,
Great minds think alike!

Somewhere I have a picture of another great design. which uses rotary setup and dado blades to do carving. Stylus in this case is a plastic wheel. Original blade and wood blank rotate and all you have to is to turn the crank to move it along the x-axis

Right now my CNC is in pieces. I am upgrading step motors. I had geared motors with a little backlash. Within few days I will eliminate it. My next goal is to add 4-th (rotary) axis. This way I wouldn't have to flip the blank to carve the other side. This let me carve much more precisely and I will save some time I am loosing while positioning wood blank.

George
Old 11-16-2002, 08:28 PM
georgemay

Henrik wrote:
Making one blade of course takes a little time, but having done this a couple of times, it's easy.

Henrik,
One of my new props was 10 feet ( not inches ) long.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Henrik
Hi George and Roger.

When I need a new type of prop. I always makes one single blade by hand, copies this in two halves to be my new masterprop, in this way the two blades will bee 100% equal. Making one blade of course takes a little time, but having done this a couple of times, it's easy. The masterprop will have epoxy and polished to give a strong surface for the router. Tomorrow i'll make some fotos to the forum, it looks like several is interested. By the way Roger, do you still have the small drawings? or shall we make a set for the coming propmaschinebuilders???

Henrik
No I don't Henrik,
but it would be no trouble to make sketches with the dimansions.
Here is a view from my machine which I have since modified to raise the cutting platform.

I have also made individual molds with plaster for each end and each side of the master propeller for proper support at each end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35905_650.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	21521  
Old 11-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Henrik

Hi again.

maybe you are interested in my first attempt to make a propmaschine. This was made some years ago, made some wery nice props, but it was a little slow, especially when I had to align for bladeside 2. this maschine made one blade 100% finished front and rear side at one time, rotating the wood and the masterprop. Take a close look and you will understand my system. Unfortunately I only have some paperfotos, and no digis.
Henrik

Name:	35921_18123.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	21522  
Old 11-16-2002, 09:52 PM
georgemay

Herik,
I am thinking to rotate and cut both blades without removing wood blank from machine. Of course in the center of the hub there will be small area I cannot touch. Or maybe not. !?
George
Old 11-17-2002, 02:29 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Henrik,
I would like to thank you for starting this thread. I have been wondering how to make an easy way to copy props, and now I see your machine! Using your photo, I am allmost finished making a smaller version, allowing my to make up to 22" long props. I just have the counterbalance and stylus holder to finish and then I can try it out. I machined the bearing blocks and pressed in delrin bearings I turned on the lathe to fit the 7/8" diam. superior ground shafting I am using for my rails. The nylon bearings slide easy but not of course as easy as a linear bearing would. Here where I live these things are not available! You make do with what you have.

Sorry I cannot add to your discussion, but i can thank you for inspiring another fellow to try his hand at making props!

regards,
Andrew Coholic
Old 11-17-2002, 08:05 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Sears used to have something like this as a router accessory - it was/is called a Router/Recreator. I've also see gunstocks being made with the cutters moving in and out and the stylus riding on the master. Both seem like they would work for props too.

As I remember, the router/recreator had an attachment that would let you turn the workpiece and master as the router rode along the rails with a cable drive.

The problem I can see with this is that the stock and master have to be held by the ends instead of the center.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:39 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Props

So george how hard would it be for ya to whip up some 4 plade C-130 props hehehe I been looking for some scale props for aa AC-130 I planning on doing this winter. May end up using 3 blades but since they are short and with the cutoff tips I figure I should be able to fly it with scale props and have been on the look for places to possibly get some from

Joe
Old 11-17-2002, 12:46 PM
georgemay

Default Scale Propellers

It is not that difficult to carve custom 3, 4 or even 5 bladed props.
On CNC machine all you have to do is just to fasten the piece of wood to the table. Turn the machine on and watch it carves. I have a web cam in my shop so even client can watch it carved.

More difficult and time consuming is drawing 3D image necessary to produce cutting files and preparation of cutting files itself.
If you happen to have 3D drawing then most of the problem is solved.

Since those files can be used over and over how about if I draw them for free for you in my spare time?. All you have to pay is donation to RCUniverse for providing such a service to us. How does this sound??

George
www.propellers.us
Old 11-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Forgues Research

Here is a source of wood carver duplicator, you will understand why we made our own.

http://www.wood-carver.com/
Old 11-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Henrik

Hi Roger.
I think we both should say thanks. I'm just about to order 3 steppermotors with the nessacairy software/hardware in Germany, my maschine will be rebuild fro autorouting with this stuff. I will let you know when finished and you can rebuild yours to.
Henrik
Old 11-17-2002, 04:53 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default custom props

sounds good to me George. I dont even know for sure how big the plane will be when im done and ready to build I am thinking around 131" ws but not sure on the engine size.
Also where does a guy get plans for building one of them cutters.I could have a blast with one of thosedoing a lot of stuff for around the house not to mention rc stuff.

Joe
Old 11-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Henrik
Hi Roger.
I think we both should say thanks. I'm just about to order 3 steppermotors with the nessacairy software/hardware in Germany, my maschine will be rebuild fro autorouting with this stuff. I will let you know when finished and you can rebuild yours to.
Henrik
Thanks Henrik,
I will deffinately look into it.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:20 PM
georgemay

Default CNC Machine

Before you guys do anything just take a look at ShopBot
Old 11-17-2002, 09:39 PM
ajcoholic

Default finished mine!

Henrik,
Here is my machine, I finished it today. Only took me Friday evening, Saturday and a few hours today to finish up. Tried copying some APC props, I am interested in trying wood props after the APC design, since the fun fly planes I fly them on respond better to a lighter weight prop.

My machine will allow me to cut up to 24" props.

Regards,
Andrew Coholic

Name:	36089_10400.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	21523  
Old 11-17-2002, 09:40 PM
ajcoholic

here is a copy of the 12.25-3.75 APC prop.

Name:	36090_10400.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	21524  
Old 11-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Forgues Research

Man you did a good job on this, nice work,
Old 11-17-2002, 10:36 PM
georgemay

Henrik wrote:
I'm just about to order 3 steppermotors with the nessacairy software/hardware in Germany

Henrik,
My setup uses 4 step motors. 2 motors go simultaneously on the X-Axis. one on each rail.
George
Old 11-17-2002, 11:42 PM
ajcoholic

Originally posted by aerografixs
Man you did a good job on this, nice work,
Thanks, but couldnt have done it without the photo Henrik posted up - that got my brain going!

What a great thing, being able to share ideas with those all over the world.

Andrew
Old 11-20-2002, 12:22 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default AJ..The prop is awesome!

But the machine is several times more awesome!!

That is just incredible, shoot you made a machine to make props quicker than I could make one prop. Very impressive.

I don't know if you saw "Wayne's World", but.. I'm not worthy!! LOL
Old 11-20-2002, 02:59 AM
ajcoholic

Chuckauger,
Heck, I saw Wayne's world (both of them) a zillion times!

You know, everyone has their "things" they do, and I like mechanical stuff and when I saw that picture I thought I had to try it. I did find a place to order some linear bearings, and did today, so next week I will replace my delrin/nylon bushings with them. That will definitely make the slides easier to push around.

I apprecite the comments!

Andrew

PS. I checked out that commerically available copier - that is not cheap! Woh - you can definitely save a ton of $$ by making your own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.