Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 PM
captnem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods

I am installing a fiberglass pushrod in my airplane. I have it all setup, except for the connection to the servo. I am not sure how to securely connect it. The instructions say to measure and inch and then bend the wire 90 degrees and drill out a hole in the fiberglass rod...and put the plug and the wire in and glue it. Is this the best way??? That 90 degree bend will have to be very small (the diameter of the tube). Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I really want to keep this setup, just want it to be right. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods

Captnem --
I am not an expert but I have used these rods a few time. One thing I found out is to put the "plug" on the wire before you make the 90 degree bend otherwise you may have to enlarge the hole in the "plug" to get it over the threaded end of the rod. Here is how I how I did mine.

1. Cut fiberglass rod to about 2-3 inches from servo horn measured while other end is attached to control surface (sounds like you have control end completed)
2. Measure 1 inch back from edge of fiberglass rod and drill hole (per instructions)
3. I then installed clevis on threaded end of metal rod
4. Slide "plug" on to wire
5. Insert clevis/wire rod/plug assembly into fiberglass shaft
6. Push or pull wire in or out until the clevis aligns with servo horn
7. Mark wire rod at front of "plug" with Sharpie pen
8. Remove clevis/wire rod/plug assembly from fiberglass rod
9. Align the front of "plug" (pointy end) with the mark you made on the wire and make a pen mark at the rear of the "plug" (flat end)
10. Slide plug forward (do not remove plug from rod) and make a 90 degree bend in the wire at the rear mark
11. Use Dremel to cut of excess wire from the bent portion leaving 1/4"
12. Insert wire into fiberglass shaft "hooking" 1/4" bend in the hole made in step 2
13. Use thick CA or epoxy to secure "plug" in fiberglass rod.
14 Done

It took longer to type this than to actually build the pushrod.

Anyway -- that is how I do it. Maybe others will have a better way.

Mark
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 PM
nickj

Default RE: Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods

Mark has it down. I usually build them with one threaded and one unthreaded end, and the "plugs" seem to encurage that, as two have 1/16" holes and two have slightly larger holes for the threaded rod. I only need to measure the overall length within an inch or two, because I Z-bend the wire end (servo end) after the pushrods are installed in the plane, then cut off the excess.

You're correct that the hooks at the end of the wire have to be slightly shorter than the I.D. of the pushrod. Too long and you won't be able to fit it in the tube, too short and it won't go all the way through the hole you drilled. Better to bend it a little on the long side, then trim it to fit inside the tube. BE SURE, as Mark stated, to slip the plug on the wire before you bend the hook.

I try to drill the holes on either end along the same longitudinal line, and let the epoxy cure with the holes down (overhang the ends), so the epoxy fills in around the hooks (I use epoxy on the wire as well as the plug).