Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dust collector

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dust collector

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
gld2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust collector

I want to build a dust collecting table to do sanding on using this type of collector.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029

This unit is rated at 914 cfm. lets say my table is 24" X 36" ,,,,,,,,holes spaced 3" ...

How do I calculate hole size???????

Or maybe I will need slots instead of round holes??????

Help

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61182.gif
Views:	13
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	600187  
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dust collector

Figure out the size of the unit's intake hole. It will do no better than if the total of all your little holes equals the size of the intake.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
elcam84
My Feedback: (2)

I haven't used that particular DC but I seriously doubt it moves 914 cfm. That motor only pulls 6.25 amps and with the size of the impeller you are realisticly going to pull 300-400 cfm.

It will work fine for a downdraft table though. Don't worry too much about the size and spacing of the holes. You want the surface large and then you cover up areas you don't need suction in. You can use the Delta downdraft table as a guide but it's a little big. If you make it smaller in size it'll work fine. (I have the delta one but don't use it much) My sanders have very good DC.

There are many examples over on woodnet http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...earch.php?Cat= Unfortunatly the search funcion is the worst I have ever seen in my life.

If you need I can take measurements of my delta including hole sizes and post them. The holes are oval and roughly 1.5" long.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
gld2

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Figure out the size of the unit's intake hole. It will do no better than if the total of all your little holes equals the size of the intake.

Thought about using the intake hole for the calculation. Wasn't if sure that would good enough.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Bumstead
My Feedback: (2)

When we replaced our aging Jenn-Aire downdraft kitchen stove, I couldn't bear to throw away
that exhaust fan. I made up a 5 sided box out of 1/2 particle board, sized about 12" deep
and 16 1/2 by 26 1/2"
made legs out of 2x4's, cut out an opening in the bottom
of the box for the fan inlet and mounted the fan underneath.
I found a plastic crate that was about 16x25, (Or an plastic milk crate will do)
same size as standard furnace filters.
I stuck three filters in the bottom of the box and turned the crate bottom up and sat it in the box.
Presto! I had a downdraft sanding table.
I also put an old pillowcase around the exhaust end of the fan to catch any dust
that might make it through the filters.
So far So Good!!
I can also mount a false top and sit my band-saw on it to
catch any debric and cutting dust.

Sure beats wheezin from balsa dust