Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Disposable epoxy mixing palets

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Disposable epoxy mixing palets

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
acerpal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disposable epoxy mixing palets

Hi Guys I use small plastic condiment cups. A good substitute is take an old phone book and cut in to two 5 x 7 Pads with the binding in tact. use a page and tear it off. You can always find a phone book. I cut mine on my band saw
Old 11-24-2007, 06:38 AM
nhblacksmith

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Here is what I do. I seem to get a large amount of junk mail. Most of it has a pre-paid postage of some sort. I just mix up my glue on one of the enclosed documents. Then when I'm done I put the document back inside the ( included) pre-paid envolope and send it back to whoever. It saves me space in my trash can and maybe.just maybe it will get my name removed form someone's mailing list.
But if that happens then I use paper plates.
I use old printed circuit board for epoxy but a note on the junk mail...

When you send back those prepaid envelopes, don't forget to include some extras like I do-old can labels or clean crushed cans, other junk mail, any non-perishable garbage that will fit in their envelope. They get charged by the weight of the envelope so make it heavy and help cut your trash bill.

Neal
Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

I use stickit notes and they work great. You probally have some already and they are about the right size for most rc sized mixes of epoxy. When finished just toss in the gaqrbage and you are done. No pealing of dried epoxy, just that simple.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard anyone mention this method, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I cut an empty beer can in half, rinse and dry it out and then mix epoxy in it. When the epoxy cures, I just mix more on top of the hardened stuff. Every now and then when I have mixed too much, I'll throw my used #11 blades in the left over epoxy. Safer to disposs of that way.

If I have to mix a second batch before the first cures enough to mix on top of, I'll just get another beer can. (No, you can't typically find beer cans at your local hobby shop!)

Oly
The following users liked this post:
Atarget1 (12-17-2023)
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Oly, I have tried your method and it works fine till the next day when you inspect the glue up job. There is sometime epoxy all over the fuse and the wrok table, even some on the ole bluejeans, go figure. I think it has something to do with getting the beer cans empt. Next time I think I will try mixing the epoxy on the botton of the can before emptying it. It could make for a straighter airplane too.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:57 PM
Atarget1

Still a bunch of good info
Old 01-29-2024, 09:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, let's add some new info then,,

I've started saving some of the used the K-cups, remove the foil, rinse out and push the little hole closed, they work great for small batches
Old 02-08-2024, 06:50 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While not disposable I have been mixing epoxy on the same pallet for over 20 years. My pallet is is a 4 inch square gloss ceramic tile. Any leftover cured epoxy can be easily scrape off with a single edge razor blade.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:27 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

^ +1
Old 02-10-2024, 09:18 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

For small batches, I use a magazine. If I'm mixing something in the epoxy, or larger batches, I'll use yogurt containers. To mix, I have a box of tooth pics that I stir with and apply the epoxy. A few years ago I got a box of 1000 Popsicle sticks cheap on Amazon that I'll use for mixing. Turns out they are maple. A few have made it in a couple of my planes for reinforcement.

A side note, I wear an apron when gluing/painting. Turns out my apron is glue proof. Whenever I wear it nothing gets on it. Without, I'm covered in glue. I'm not sure how that works.