RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Tips to make you a Better Pilot: (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11344479-tips-make-you-better-pilot.html)

EdwardLeigh 12-25-2012 09:44 PM

Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Hello Members,

Some tips to make you a better pilot:

* Pay attention to what your butt is telling you
* The nose is talking too. Understand what it is showing you
* Understand the airplane’s aerodynamics
* Be precise
* Be smooth, make love to the airplane
* Make your landings more accurate
* Take three hours of aerobatic instruction

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh

Warbird40 12-26-2012 01:37 AM

RE: Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

[quote]ORIGINAL: EdwardLeigh

Hello Members,

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh

Not sure about this one [&o]

Luchnia 12-26-2012 04:25 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Warbird40

ORIGINAL: EdwardLeigh

Hello Members,

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh

Not sure about this one [&o]
Yes, just over the edge ever so slightly. [X(] ;)

ceecrb1 12-26-2012 05:06 AM

OR to quote blackadder (private plane).

See this video at 50 secconds

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnAsdQiGzs[/youtube]

sensei 12-26-2012 05:28 AM

#1 rule practice, practice, practice.

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob

jester_s1 12-26-2012 05:37 AM

No, not just practice. Practice properly is the way to get good. Practicing when you don't actually know how a maneuver is supposed to be done is more likely to result is getting bad piloting technique ingrained in your mind instead of improving your flying. A smart beginner or intermediate pilot will bend the ear of every impressive aerobatics guy every chance he gets to learn how a specific move is supposed to be done. 5 minutes with an expert pilot who's willing to teach you will save you hours of trying to figure it out for yourself.

gene6029 12-26-2012 05:49 AM

Agreed, what jester said! Find someone to mentor you( that knows what they are doing) or help you practice correctly. Practiceing your mistakes doesnt make you a better pilot. ;)

MajorTomski 12-26-2012 06:02 AM

Learn to fly a really, really true wings-level straight line.

sensei 12-26-2012 07:12 AM

Tips to make you a better pilot:

Lets see here, going out and burning gas will make you more proficient on the sticks and a better pilot, Nobody said anything about flying through precision IMAC maneuvers. so how can you be doing it wrong if you are just practicing flying in general and having a good time. LOL

Bob

invertmast 12-26-2012 07:38 AM

The guys who taught me to fly said to not even think about buying a 2nd airplane until i was able to outfly the trainer i learned on. I flew that airplane so much it was literally falling apart when you would start. But! I could do every manuever that airplane was possible of and every landing was as smooth as grass.

IMO the way to become a better pilot has nothing to do with learning aerobatics (at first). You need to be able to:

1. Fly a wings level straight line without changing altitude
2. Point the airplane exactly where you want it in order to maintain the correct GROUND track parallel to the flight line.
3. Be able to make a consistent climbing or descending turn through 90, 180 and 360 degrees.
4. Be able to make a turn to final and be wings level to allow the airplanes ground track to go straight down the centerline of the runway with minor changes in heading and bank.
5. Maintain a consistent speed and descent rate through a descending 90* turn to final, this sets you up for a perfect landing everytime.
6. Flare the airplane for landing everytime so the wheels touch down as the wing stops flying.

While many of those items above seem really simple, 95% of the pilots i see around cant do one of them, let alone combinations of them! Being a master of those basic skills will set you up for success on flying near every airplane you come across.

Now when it comes to aerobatics, lots of stick time and some mentors really help.

speedracerntrixie 12-26-2012 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: sensei

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob
Yes yes and yes. I would just add a couple tidbits here. Learn to correctly set up your airplanes, use your left hand for more then just driving the airplane on the ground. When practicing get someone who knows what he's looking at and TRUST that he can see the airplane better then you. I see lots of guys perfecting the same mistakes.

dignlivn 12-26-2012 09:31 AM

I've noticed most people taking off from left to right, the
torque starts their left turn. Most people just follow the plane
instead of maintaining a straight heading down the runway.

Fly the plane,don't react to it. Make it go where you want
it to. JMO, Think full scale.

Bob

speedracerntrixie 12-26-2012 10:40 AM

So true, one of my favorite sayings is " Fly the airplane not the TX". 15 years of IMAC flying will teach one many things. It wasn't until I stared flying IMAC that I realized that my airplanes were set up poorly and I was flying them poorly.

pmerritt 12-26-2012 12:57 PM

<font color="#ff0000">* Be smooth, make love to the airplane

<font color="#000000">Now this is a whole new concept to the lunacy one sees at the club field.  I don't need to expound on what it looks like with 15 grown men knocking boots with their Biplanes.  Hopefully they haven't started their engines (the ones on the airplanes).  </font> 
</font>

rgburrill 12-26-2012 01:03 PM

Be consderate of others - all other rules are commentary.

mirwin 12-26-2012 02:01 PM

<span style="font-size: medium;">Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.

The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, water and trees.

It is much more difficult to fly there.</span>

kenh3497 12-26-2012 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: sensei

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob

I agree with jester s1. Bad practice is worse than no practice at all.

Ken

telejojo 12-26-2012 02:46 PM

Try to keep it under six beers...............................

matt43 12-26-2012 03:33 PM

Please number one thing to learn, and practice practice practice is LANDING!!! It amazes me everytime I go out to fly, how many can't land an airplane! Especially the jet rallies most have $10,000 plus in a jet that they either bounce down the runway or collapse a gear on! Good landings look great! Learn to use the left stick! Throttle and RUDDER!!!

HoundDog 12-26-2012 03:42 PM

<h3>Number one tip for flying R/C Model Airplanes "Learn to use the Left thumb for the other function rather than throttle" .... it's the ailerons that keep the plane level, and the <font color="#800000">Rudder</font> That keeps the plane flying straight (especially on landing).
</h3><h3>Now repeat after me <font color="#800000">Left Thumb RUDDER, Left Thumb RUDDER, Left Thumb RUDDER, <font color="#000000">Now keep saying that till you get it and you will be a better R/C Pilot.
</font></font></h3>

JMHO
</p>

matt43 12-26-2012 03:50 PM

Very nice rudder is important

akcub 12-26-2012 04:08 PM

left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER

HoundDog 12-26-2012 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: akcub

left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Finally some one that thinks like me It's the RUDDER that stears the ship (AIR).</span></span>

flycatch 12-26-2012 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: invertmast

The guys who taught me to fly said to not even think about buying a 2nd airplane until i was able to outfly the trainer i learned on. I flew that airplane so much it was literally falling apart when you would start. But! I could do every manuever that airplane was possible of and every landing was as smooth as grass.

IMO the way to become a better pilot has nothing to do with learning aerobatics (at first). You need to be able to:

1. Fly a wings level straight line without changing altitude
2. Point the airplane exactly where you want it in order to maintain the correct GROUND track parallel to the flight line.
3. Be able to make a consistent climbing or descending turn through 90, 180 and 360 degrees.
4. Be able to make a turn to final and be wings level to allow the airplanes ground track to go straight down the centerline of the runway with minor changes in heading and bank.
5. Maintain a consistent speed and descent rate through a descending 90* turn to final, this sets you up for a perfect landing everytime.
6. Flare the airplane for landing everytime so the wheels touch down as the wing stops flying.

While many of those items above seem really simple, 95% of the pilots i see around cant do one of them, let alone combinations of them! Being a master of those basic skills will set you up for success on flying near every airplane you come across.

Now when it comes to aerobatics, lots of stick time and some mentors really help.
This is the most accurate and to the point statement ever voiced on this topic. I normally see only a handfull of so called pilots achieve this.

rgburrill 12-26-2012 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: telejojo

Try to keep it under six beers...............................
That is not funny at all http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngry_smile.gif You should never drink until after you have put your planes away for the day. These may be toys but they can still kill.