Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM
EdwardLeigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Hello Members,

Some tips to make you a better pilot:

* Pay attention to what your butt is telling you
* The nose is talking too. Understand what it is showing you
* Understand the airplane’s aerodynamics
* Be precise
* Be smooth, make love to the airplane
* Make your landings more accurate
* Take three hours of aerobatic instruction

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

[quote]ORIGINAL: EdwardLeigh

Hello Members,

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh

Not sure about this one [&o]
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: Warbird40

ORIGINAL: EdwardLeigh

Hello Members,

Thanks and Regards,
Edward Leigh

Not sure about this one [&o]
Yes, just over the edge ever so slightly. [X(]
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 AM
ceecrb1

OR to quote blackadder (private plane).

See this video at 50 secconds

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnAsdQiGzs[/youtube]
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

#1 rule practice, practice, practice.

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No, not just practice. Practice properly is the way to get good. Practicing when you don't actually know how a maneuver is supposed to be done is more likely to result is getting bad piloting technique ingrained in your mind instead of improving your flying. A smart beginner or intermediate pilot will bend the ear of every impressive aerobatics guy every chance he gets to learn how a specific move is supposed to be done. 5 minutes with an expert pilot who's willing to teach you will save you hours of trying to figure it out for yourself.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, what jester said! Find someone to mentor you( that knows what they are doing) or help you practice correctly. Practiceing your mistakes doesnt make you a better pilot.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learn to fly a really, really true wings-level straight line.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Tips to make you a better pilot:

Lets see here, going out and burning gas will make you more proficient on the sticks and a better pilot, Nobody said anything about flying through precision IMAC maneuvers. so how can you be doing it wrong if you are just practicing flying in general and having a good time. LOL

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The guys who taught me to fly said to not even think about buying a 2nd airplane until i was able to outfly the trainer i learned on. I flew that airplane so much it was literally falling apart when you would start. But! I could do every manuever that airplane was possible of and every landing was as smooth as grass.

IMO the way to become a better pilot has nothing to do with learning aerobatics (at first). You need to be able to:

1. Fly a wings level straight line without changing altitude
2. Point the airplane exactly where you want it in order to maintain the correct GROUND track parallel to the flight line.
3. Be able to make a consistent climbing or descending turn through 90, 180 and 360 degrees.
4. Be able to make a turn to final and be wings level to allow the airplanes ground track to go straight down the centerline of the runway with minor changes in heading and bank.
5. Maintain a consistent speed and descent rate through a descending 90* turn to final, this sets you up for a perfect landing everytime.
6. Flare the airplane for landing everytime so the wheels touch down as the wing stops flying.

While many of those items above seem really simple, 95% of the pilots i see around cant do one of them, let alone combinations of them! Being a master of those basic skills will set you up for success on flying near every airplane you come across.

Now when it comes to aerobatics, lots of stick time and some mentors really help.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob
Yes yes and yes. I would just add a couple tidbits here. Learn to correctly set up your airplanes, use your left hand for more then just driving the airplane on the ground. When practicing get someone who knows what he's looking at and TRUST that he can see the airplane better then you. I see lots of guys perfecting the same mistakes.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
dignlivn

I've noticed most people taking off from left to right, the
torque starts their left turn. Most people just follow the plane
instead of maintaining a straight heading down the runway.

Fly the plane,don't react to it. Make it go where you want
it to. JMO, Think full scale.

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

So true, one of my favorite sayings is " Fly the airplane not the TX". 15 years of IMAC flying will teach one many things. It wasn't until I stared flying IMAC that I realized that my airplanes were set up poorly and I was flying them poorly.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Now this is a whole new concept to the lunacy one sees at the club field.  I don't need to expound on what it looks like with 15 grown men knocking boots with their Biplanes.  Hopefully they haven't started their engines (the ones on the airplanes).   
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Be consderate of others - all other rules are commentary.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.

The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, water and trees.

It is much more difficult to fly there.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

#2 rule, see # 1 rule...

Bob

I agree with jester s1. Bad practice is worse than no practice at all.

Ken
Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
telejojo

Try to keep it under six beers...............................
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM
matt43

Please number one thing to learn, and practice practice practice is LANDING!!! It amazes me everytime I go out to fly, how many can't land an airplane! Especially the jet rallies most have $10,000 plus in a jet that they either bounce down the runway or collapse a gear on! Good landings look great! Learn to use the left stick! Throttle and RUDDER!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Number one tip for flying R/C Model Airplanes "Learn to use the Left thumb for the other function rather than throttle" .... it's the ailerons that keep the plane level, and the Rudder That keeps the plane flying straight (especially on landing).

Now repeat after me Left Thumb RUDDER, Left Thumb RUDDER, Left Thumb RUDDER, Now keep saying that till you get it and you will be a better R/C Pilot.

JMHO

Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
matt43

Very nice rudder is important
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM
akcub

left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: akcub

left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER left thumb RUDDER
Finally some one that thinks like me It's the RUDDER that stears the ship (AIR).

Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

The guys who taught me to fly said to not even think about buying a 2nd airplane until i was able to outfly the trainer i learned on. I flew that airplane so much it was literally falling apart when you would start. But! I could do every manuever that airplane was possible of and every landing was as smooth as grass.

IMO the way to become a better pilot has nothing to do with learning aerobatics (at first). You need to be able to:

1. Fly a wings level straight line without changing altitude
2. Point the airplane exactly where you want it in order to maintain the correct GROUND track parallel to the flight line.
3. Be able to make a consistent climbing or descending turn through 90, 180 and 360 degrees.
4. Be able to make a turn to final and be wings level to allow the airplanes ground track to go straight down the centerline of the runway with minor changes in heading and bank.
5. Maintain a consistent speed and descent rate through a descending 90* turn to final, this sets you up for a perfect landing everytime.
6. Flare the airplane for landing everytime so the wheels touch down as the wing stops flying.

While many of those items above seem really simple, 95% of the pilots i see around cant do one of them, let alone combinations of them! Being a master of those basic skills will set you up for success on flying near every airplane you come across.

Now when it comes to aerobatics, lots of stick time and some mentors really help.
This is the most accurate and to the point statement ever voiced on this topic. I normally see only a handfull of so called pilots achieve this.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: telejojo

Try to keep it under six beers...............................
That is not funny at all You should never drink until after you have put your planes away for the day. These may be toys but they can still kill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.