Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

MJX T34 Co-axial rotor heli helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

MJX T34 Co-axial rotor heli helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
ghost123uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MJX T34 Co-axial rotor heli helicopter

Firstly, here is a picture =

I usually fly r/c gliders or control line aerobatics, this "was" just a toy, but read on...

In brief, local super store having a clear out sale, picked it up for £39 (~$45) supposed to be around £80 (~$100)

Early on learnt :-

NOT to try and fly it in ANY wind.

NOT to crash it, they do break (unlike the blurb) fortunately spares are easy to get.

They NEED a bigger tail rotor (easy to source) to make then fly forward and backwards properly, though this mod makes them a bit harder to control = less like a toy though

Then I discovered how much fun it is to fly one in the (fairly large) "beer garden" at our local village Pub in the evening. The ultra bright LED "nav lights" make it fly'able in the dark once you get used to it = great fun and the regulars love it

So, all in all a good toy for grown up boys to play with.

BUT The batteries that come with it are 2 x 1100mAh Li-on cells (= 7.4 volt) - but the current draw is over 5 amps and this rapidly kills them, like in 10 x 10 minute flights [>:]. Standard batteries are ~£14 [X(]. I assumed the r/x would have the usual low voltage cut off, so I bought a decent 13,00 mAh Li-Po (same weight). It lasted around 6 flights I then found out the r/x doesn't have a low voltage cut off. NICADS are too heavy. So, a shame as it was fun but I ain't going to keep spending on batteries at that rate !

Just a blog really - unless anyone has any ideas ?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM
ghost123uk

Default RE: MJX T34 Co-axial rotor heli helicopter

Sorry for the "back to back" posting

I now discover that the LiPo is not cream crackered, it is summat to do with the Heli []

I put it on a 10 amp bench power supply @ 8.4 volts and it is simply lacking in power. Now the funny thing = I completely stripped it down and checked everything. I swapped one of the motors for a spare I had, re-assembled, taking great care to check everything for alignment and / or binding etc.

I took it out for a test flight = great - it worked fine

I then did have a bit of a crunch on landing, no damage but blade(s) will have been stalled against the ground very briefly.

Now it's back the same, not enough power to take off even. I have checked the battery and tried the Heli on the bench PSU again, but no go. It's not connections as I have checked voltages under running conditions at all relevant points.

Very frustrating as I like "messin about" with this bird, at night, in the local village pubs beer garden (it has nice bright nav lights )

I wonder if there is a similar craft but better engineered ?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM
jeeper80

One thing about Lipos is that you have to let them cool for a while before putting them on a charger. Don't try to charge them hot. I don't know if a power supply is the thing to charge them with. Lipo's are not like Nicads on Nimh.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: jeeper80

One thing about Lipos is that you have to let them cool for a while before putting them on a charger. Don't try to charge them hot. I don't know if a power supply is the thing to charge them with. Lipo's are not like Nicads on Nimh.
Ah, no, you misunderstood, I used the bench PSU (an expensive and accurate one) to "phantom power" the heli, no LiPos were in it at the time, just to see if a hefty ampage @ 8.4 volts would prove / disprove whether a lack of supplied power was the problem. It wasn't. btw, I do use a proper balence LiPo charger as I use one for my fleet of electric R/C planes (I also fly Nitro planes too, both R/C and Control Line aerobatics)

Now, I should have posted back, (sorry) because I did find the problem. It was the cog for the upper blade slipping upwards on the shaft causing the upper spacer (just under the upper blade) to "bind". I stripped it right down (again !) and re-seated the cog, tightened the screws up as tight as I dared and used some Loctite thread-loc on the actual shaft to cog mating surfaces. I now have 1/2 a mm up and down movement of the upper rotor compared to the lower one and all is fine again.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:43 AM
Terry4227

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but I have just got a 2nd hand T34 with this same problem - after about 25% vertical power is applied the rotors go no faster and it just sits on the ground. Fully charged battery is 8V and the seller swears it worked 2 days ago!!

Any ideas, and anybody got a manual?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-22-2016, 06:35 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Hi Gus, my best to all of you,I don't know anything about this helli but for my money Inmy humble opinion is anything with the syma brand .I think for the beginner they cant be beat.Rugged well built and a wide selection.Oh did I mention price? most are in the $25.00 range.Thier Quad a bit more but a hoot to fly and easy for the beginner.Hope this helps Keep em flying Smoke Trail Charlie