Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

hobby stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
dspaeth4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobby stores

who else hates thier hobby store besides me?!?!?!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 PM
ReaperGN

Default RE: hobby stores

I love mine. So much so I refuse to buy from online companies.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 PM
steed2-inactive

i hate mine also. but they are definately convenient. with the shipping to canada online (ebay) is generally more expensive than the lhs.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
guys2nv

The closest place to me is about an hour away but it does get bad reviews all the time so my "LHS" is currently ebay-lol. Although I will go there to get stuff like paint,fuel, various other stuff.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
dspaeth4

yeah,mine is about 5 mins away but he charges $7.50 for a glowplug
Old 05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
ReaperGN

If you just a customer small stores really don't care about you. They will help you out but they wont bother to give you deals. Especially if all you do is say "well on the internet". Now if you get to know them and help them out things get better. Go the extra mile to support your local store and it pay off. And remember its a business. Not your personal parts bin. So be reasonable with what you ask. Some parts have lots of overhead but not all of them. So 23.27 might be the best they can do while still making a profit.

Now if the owners are just jerks even after trying to get to know them then the shop is not worth going to. I also advise everyone to avoid the places where the hillbilly/redneck/little internet kids/ignorant/stupid/complain about a 3 dollar part/never spend over 20 dollars people hang out. Those people usually frequent places with bad service and limited supply. And for those of you that fall into that category CHANGE YOUR WAYS!!! A whole new world opens up if your not one of those people.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
masterhacker1989

My Lhs used to be good, then it switched owners, I used to get a nice discount, because I was in there almost every day, but the new owners a duesch, and doesn't have crap for parts anymore, and marked everything up Alot compared to the previous owner, its the most expensive hobby store Ive ever been in, I pretty much go in there to buy nitro fuel now, other than that I use ebay, or tower hobbies, The mark up on everything is ridiculous, He had a charger that I can get for like $60 shipped for like $116 , so i asked if he could do any better than that, and he said he wouldnt, Its not just me that feels that way either, alot of the customers that used to frequent his store no longer do
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
benjsmit77

My hobby store has been very friendly.  They've helped me start/diagnose two Nitro Revos (half hour of there time) and didn't even charge me.  I felt cheap so I have spent some money there.  I didn't even buy the cars there, but on eBay.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
steed2-inactive

my lhs is good in certain ways, they just have crappy people skills. they dont understand how to talk to customers, i have spent alot of money their and they appreciate that now, i will grab them coffee when i go there on a satuday, or i will shoot them an email with 50 plus part #'s and they go right ahead and order everything without a deposit or anything. over the years we have built up a good business relationship. but they have this chip on their nerdy shoulder's, i really cant figure it out, on the other hand, dealing with the public can have it challenges and test anyone's patience. ebay just doesnt work for me, for perfect example, i am looking for a savage x body HPI# 7768 and there is one on ebay for 34 dollars plus 25 shipping, see what i mean the shipping (which you dont have to pay at the lhs, kills my ebay possibilities, sometimes it works out though.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
MrBlargMan

My LHS is a Hobby Town USA. Man I love that place. The store is HUGE. They by far have the best in-stock parts inventory out of any other hobby store I have been to. The staff there is very knowledgeable and friendly. Every time I am in there they are helping someone with a vehicle. Lots of people with used craigslist crap, lol.

On the other hand though, I do use eBay for large orders. Being in the lower 48 states, I am generally able to get a much larger amount of parts for a much less amount of money. Sellers are also generally awesome about combining shipping on multiple auctions.

I always purchase my nitro fuel, bodies, and paint from my LHS. Parts are frequent though too if I am in a hurry for something.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

I have 3 LHS that sell planes and car stuff and that's what iam into but I use them to my advantage for need now items and on the weekends, there prices are way over the top, one of my LHS owners sells on eBay after he buys very amounts of items from Horizon Hobby and then sells it on eBay and talks about it all the time when your in the store, and makes comments about making well over 80K per year alone off of eBay, so the LHS owner is no different the me/us/you he buys at a low cost and then sells at a profit, so why should I feel bad using the inter net to get the best prices I can find, many time I save over 40 + on big orders or items , so again use them to my advantage for need now items and on the weekends.