Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-maxx Help With upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 PM
kkaz642

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-maxx Help With upgrades

Hi all I am new to the forms and I am returning to the hobby after a long break and want to get back into it. I recently purchased a Tmaxx off Craigslist locally for $65.00. I believe its a first generation it has the .15 engine on it please see the attached pictures. So like i said I don't know what model it is for sure. I Decided to upgrade the chassis and engine to the newer wider longer setup. I ordered a upgraded kit off line 4909 was the model number. I opened it up today to find out that this is the same chassis that I have already. So now im confused can someone tell me what the correct Chassis is for the upgrade? I want the Newest Chassis for my truck. Also im upgrading the Engine and then i want to upgrade things as they break. Does anyone have a List the of the Parts i will need to upgrade or change out for combat-ability not because it will fail, like i said as it fails ill upgrade them. Thanks in advance Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2063094   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2063095  

Last edited by kkaz642; 01-11-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Photos added
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by kkaz642
Hi all I am new to the forms and I am returning to the hobby after a long break and want to get back into it. I recently purchased a Tmaxx off Craigslist locally for $65.00. I believe its a first generation it has the .15 engine on it please see the attached pictures. So like i said I don't know what model it is for sure. I Decided to upgrade the chassis and engine to the newer wider longer setup. I ordered a upgraded kit off line 4909 was the model number. I opened it up today to find out that this is the same chassis that I have already. So now im confused can someone tell me what the correct Chassis is for the upgrade? I want the Newest Chassis for my truck. Also im upgrading the Engine and then i want to upgrade things as they break. Does anyone have a List the of the Parts i will need to upgrade or change out for combat-ability not because it will fail, like i said as it fails ill upgrade them. Thanks in advance Daniel
Ive had that older version,but not long enough to really get to know it.I know that the newer ones were extended,I think.

You may can just buy a newer xtended chassy,an swap the parts over,but then again,thats a lot of parts,an money,an
also labor to do so,just buying the original upgrades for that is going to be a cost.

All of the xtended parts,newer versions,an hop-up parts can be had for those on ebay...LOL.there is so many
parts for t-maxxas,that its an epidemic on ebay.Im quite sure though that you can use the newer version
suspension parts to get your stance out of that rig.Theres also big block chassy's conversions.
As of part numbers,I cant help...Oh,those blue a-arms are an aftermarket hop-up,The brand of those are RPM's.

Last edited by cbaker65; 01-11-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
kkaz642

Ok I just want to make sure that I don't already have the wide upgrade correct? Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the wider control arms?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM
westoakmech

You can go to traxxas web site, and look under support, and find all of the exploded views, and parts list for the t-maxx. There are alot of model numbers, out there. For the arms, there is the old narrow, and the newer wide, on the chasis there is basicly two, the long and short. It can get confusing. It looks like you have the 2.5 t-max. Short chasis, wide suspension. So you should be able to go off from the t-maxx classic parts list, and exploded views to get what you need. I am not sure of the exact model that you have. You see very few t-maxx's with all the original parts on them.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by westoakmech
You can go to traxxas web site, and look under support, and find all of the exploded views, and parts list for the t-maxx. There are alot of model numbers, out there. For the arms, there is the old narrow, and the newer wide, on the chasis there is basicly two, the long and short. It can get confusing. It looks like you have the 2.5 t-max. Short chasis, wide suspension. So you should be able to go off from the t-maxx classic parts list, and exploded views to get what you need. I am not sure of the exact model that you have. You see very few t-maxx's with all the original parts on them.
The truck is an original (the first) TMaxx, a Pro.15 model with the narrow arms. It has RPM arms on the front but they are the narrow versions. There are also 3 different stock chassis, the Pro.15, the 2.5 (TMaxx Classic) and the 3.3 extended chassis. The suspension will bolt onto any chassis. The Pro.15 chassis is the same as the 2.5 chassis except it doesn't have the holes in it for the throttle linkage post needed for the slide carb 2.5 engine. The 3.3 extended chassis is extended in front of the transmission and uses a different transmission with a different mounting pattern. You cannot directly bolt your black transmission into a 3.3 chassis, you need adapters or a 3.3 grey transmission.

I don't know part numbers, but on Traxxas.com look at TMaxx Classic parts. Besides the engine, throttle linkage, the suspension arms and tie rods are longer but all other parts are the same. I don't know of any "upgrade kits" but TMaxx's are meant to be mixed and matched. Stock arms kind of suck, get RPM arms, they're only available wide now I believe. Maybe RPM bulkheads too. Then go on eBay and get 3.3 style knuckles and driveshafts. You'll now have a wide truck with much better durability than stock.

Chassis wise you have some decisions to make. If you want a longer truck you have a couple options. The stock 3.3 chassis needs a grey trans or adapters for your black trans. There are big block kits that are largely discontinued and only found on eBay, but RD Logics may still make one. But you need a big block engine to go with it, a small block won't work. Your differentials won't like the big block power much either though. They can be upgraded with aluminum outer cases but new riffs from a 3.3 or better yet an EMaxx can be had on eBay as well.

Homestly I'd just get it running and have some fun with it stock. Maxx trucks can easily be money pits when you start upgrading and you're starting with the bottom of the barrel. If you try upgrading it to 3.3 status you'd be much better served selling the truck in running condition and buying a 3.3, you'll spend less.