Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

one way bearing problem on revo 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM
tommie!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one way bearing problem on revo 3.3

Is there a problem with the one way bearing for the starter. I'm on my third one on my third outing with this revo 3.3. Is the bearing design not robust enough because the needle bearings seem to get damaged and just fall out upon removal.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 PM
6speednissan

Default RE: one way bearing problem on revo 3.3

I took mine apart when I had just under a gallon and it looked like brand new. I gave it a wd40 bath and put it all back together. Did you maybe not put something back in that was supposed to go in?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 PM
nitro fanatic

wow i have yet to go through a OWB on my revo 2.5 and i got it when it first came out
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM
DaveG55

It sure seems like you've hit a bad run or something. I've got a Revo 2.5 with a TM and a T-maxx with the 2.5 and the owb's have not given me any problems at all. Also an LST and a Savage and aside from the ocassional cleaning when I was using Traxxas fuel no problems there either. The only owb I've had an issue with is in the T-Maxx transmission and it just wouldn't stop slipping, it never came apart or anything.
You should call Traxxas and get them to send you replacements cause I know they're not cheap to replace.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM
tommie!

Thanks for the replies.

I did call Traxxas after the first one went and they are sending me one, but now I guess I have to call again...I'm surprised because the truck is pretty good otherwise.

I guess the more annoying thing is packing up not because you smashed or broke something but you can't start the thing...

I have not touched the motor or starter myself. My local hobby store is working on it.

OWB is 30 bucks at the hobby store!

Did someone mention 10 on ebay?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:00 PM
nitro fanatic

a OWB is 16 at mine LHS
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
DaveG55

You should start working on it yourself, otherwise it will be spending more time in the shop than you will running it. This is a hobby and a hobby requires quite a bit of "hands on", a lot more than a toy does. These trucks are way more complicated than any toy and if you don't jump in and start learning it will be a lot more frustrating and expensive than it needs to be.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 PM
tommie!

Good advice. I'm a car mechanic by trade and do work on my own rc stuff occasionally. I do have a rather substantial rc fleet and sometimes due to time constraints I have a hobby shop dude I trust work on my stuff...

Do you have any advice regarding the OWB failure? The first failure occured on tank 6 just after break in. The second failure at tank 13...

I've had OWBs slip occaionally (TNX, LST2, 4.6) but never failures like this...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 AM
ttoks

you need to clean and oil the OWB regularly to get good life out of them, clean them with clean fresh gasoline, then soak them in good clean high quality motor oil overnight (i use mobil 1 because thats what dad puts in the cars) then in the morning hang it up with a piece of wire or something and let the oil drip out for about an hour, then reinstall in the car, i do that once a gallon.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM
eagle-TSI

2 gallons, and i'll be on my 4th OWB as soon as traxxas send me my engine back....

they are 30$ here each...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Revo Madness

ttoks do they need to be reoiled as soon as they come out of the packaging? i bought a new one the other day and installed it as it was, is this not a smart idea or are they pre-oiled?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM
DaveG55

I never oil mine. I clean them, blow them out with compressed air and install them dry. Been doing it that way for 20 years with several different engines and vehicles and no problems that were not caused by too much oil content in the fuel.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 AM
ttoks

i'v always oiled mine, the one time i didn't it dropped a roller and welded it to the shaft so i tend to keep mine oiled.

normally though i can see the oil from the fuel oiling it, just spray a little wd 40 on it the first time to give it some lube before the oil can get in there on the first start up, i would still clean and oil it regularly but it's user choice, i probably always will, dave hasn't and has had great success so in the ed it's up to weather or not you wanna go to the extra trouble.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 AM
tommie!

I ended up fixing it myself. The starter shaft was the problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: tommie!

I ended up fixing it myself. The starter shaft was the problem.

Bingo. If you go through 5211R's repeatedly, replace the shaft. A tiny nick in the shaft will cause you to damage the OWB. When my OWB wears out, I replace the shaft (5277) and the OWB at the same time since they wear together similarly to a piston and sleeve.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
tommie!

Yep, very true.

It is too bad the hobby store who worked on my revo wasted my time and money on something they should have realized instead of crazy gluing the THIRD one way bearing into the gear and making a mess of it. Kudos to Traxxas reps on the phone and giving me the time of day.

Much appreciated.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!