Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Pull Cord Slipping??? I THINK

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
SENMERI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Cord Slipping??? I THINK

i just got a revo 3.3 and i think that the compression on it is bad... Everytime that i pull the Pulll Cord it slips(LIke It missed one of the sides) and then i prime It and No Fuel comes to the motor... Then i Took out the High Speed Needle (After Blowing and clearing the Lines)and no fuel comes up....??? I Am planing on takeing it to the Hobbie shop tomorrow but i was woundering if you knew anything about it...!!!!
*THey say that you can pull the pull cord up and the truck should come with it???

Thanks for your response....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pull Cord Slipping??? I THINK

Don't all new Revo 3.3s come with EZ-starts?

In any event, since apparently you have a pullstart - open it up and see if its working properly. The pawl could be messed up somehow, just be careful not to damage the recoil mechanism.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
SENMERI

I got it with a electric start But, What woud you think about a rotto start Adapter...?? It came with one of those or would you go Electric? Could it have to do with anything about compresion?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
sheograth

Wait how are you having problems "pulling the cord" if you have an electric starter?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
SENMERI

I do not have an electric start it came with the truck... It has a pull cord on it now and it came with the roto start and the electric start.....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
sheograth

Alright - I can't figure it out lol, hopefully someone can understand this better than me.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 PM
malibuboats4

to me, it sounds like the one way bearing is slippign on the cord... mine does this some also
Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
SENMERI

Yeah that sound right... When i pull the pull Cord it slips And then it catches But sometime It catchs all the way and then more times then none it does slip though.... I have been reading about compression woudl that me something to do with it..
Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
malibuboats4

no i dont think so... you can test compression by just turning the crankshaft. if its hard to turn, then you have good compression
Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 PM
SENMERI

and if i don't have good compression then the pull cord would slip??? Again i try to pull the Pull Cord and it catches turn the motor over and then it slips like a lose string... Then sometime it pulls all the way.... But i can't get the truck started.... When i try and Prim it (Putting my finger over the pipe there is no fuel entering the motor.... ????
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the one way bearing is striped then the motor will not turn over. Regardless of how many times you pull the cord. Your gonna have to get a new one way bearing.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 AM
MAXXCHEVY

ok man i have the same prob sometimes, its the one way bearing if the pullstart is to tight it will cause it to stick you need to loosen the pullstart screws a lil bit also you need to unloosen the glow plug when you CANT pull the cord out and it will loosen the compression letting the cord release out. Also when the one way bearing sticks and the cord just slides up u can also loosen the bearing by tapping on the engine block with a screw driver a few times and it should loosen. Try that and see what happens
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
cdubs

Deffinately sounds like your one way bearing to me. However, I would forgot the beating on the side of your engine to try to fix it. It is a simple fix of spending approx. $10 on a new one way bearing and taking off the pull start mech. (4 screws), slipping the old one way bearing off and replacing it with the new. Should take about 5 minutes.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
SENMERI

Cool Thanks Guys i will try that....
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

Also I find it easier just to get the truck started is to blow into the exhaust line to get the fuel into the engine...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Quickywd01
My Feedback: (3)

Take off the pull-start which is easy. Then remove the OWB (one way bearing) and clean it out with denaturated alcohol and lube it with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (some people put it in dry because the fuel from the engine will lube it) and see if that solves it.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
cdubs

yeah you can try cleaning it, but IMO that is just prolonging the inevitable and not long enough to take all the trouble. Replace and be done IMO. Unless your short cash or something then clean it and settle till next payday.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
MAXXCHEVY

ORIGINAL: MAXXCHEVY

ok man i have the same prob sometimes, its the one way bearing if the pullstart is to tight it will cause it to stick you need to loosen the pullstart screws a lil bit also you need to unloosen the glow plug when you CANT pull the cord out and it will loosen the compression letting the cord release out. Also when the one way bearing sticks and the cord just slides up u can also loosen the bearing by tapping on the engine block with a screw driver a few times and it should loosen. Try that and see what happens

The fix i gave you by tapping the engine block is a quick fix for when you are out in the dirt bashing and dont have the ability to pull the motor and remove the one way bearing. im not telling you to beat on the engine just give a it a couple taps to loosen the one way.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
SENMERI

Well i cam to a conclusion on the problem there was no gas goin to the exhaust... Thats why it didn't want to start ??? Any Fixe's? Ideas how to clean or fix this problem.... What he did was just blow on the Pipe Line... And i guess that pushed the gas to the Carborator... As well i have a roto start... that i am thinken about installing....Would i just take off the pull cord and just bult the roto start on there??? THanks for your responses.... As WEll Much Props to the Sale Forums i got a baD Ass Truck That turns on a dime and just blew my mind about the Truck.....
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Itsme7

Kinda confusing by how you said it, but by blowing in the fuel tube that goes from the exhaust to the top of the tank primes it. If you do it too much, you flood it, and you need to clear it out. Possibly from it being flooded you yanked on it too hard and stripped out the oneway hex, or you jsut have a slipping one way. The cheapest fix would be to take off the pullstart, take the oneway bearing and soak it in some denatured alcohol as it is too much oil causing it to slip on the shaft. Blow it out and dry it off and try that. And while you have the pullstart off, check to see if its stripped out. If it is, that is the problem. To fix the flooding problem just take the glowplug out and turn the engine over a few times with the car upside down so the excess fuel causing the engine to hydro-lock comes out. Put the plug back in, and try starting it. If it doesnt start, try priming but watch the fuel line going from the carb to the tank, watch to see when the fuel hits the carb, and stop. If it doesnt start after that, its either a fouled glowplug, or the engine it out of tune. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 PM
SENMERI

Would you put a roto start on or an electric start?