Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER TWIN BUILD

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER TWIN BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM
gypsey9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER TWIN BUILD

Hello All.

I am completly new to this hobby and this site. I am starting this thread because after a little bit of searching online, I purchased a kit for Cessna 337 Skymaster from General Hobbies. The kit arrived few weeks ago and was pretty good overall. Packaged and dlivered to my door in Canada for about $230. The kit was $189 and shipping was about $40. Thereare some wrinkles on the covering, probably due to the cold weather during the shipping travel.

I did not even know the lingo or what woul be involved, but I just wanted to occupy my spare time in the winter.

After the kit arrived, I did some more research online and visited a local hobby shop. At the advise of the salesman,I purchased 2 OS .46 engines, 9 servos, props, grow starter, glow fuel and various other supplies. total ran to about $800.

So then,I went to work on getting things started. I got everyting set up in the basement and will post some pictures soon.

Hope I can get some help from experienced builders.

cheers for now.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER TWIN BUILD

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=114997
Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

If I read correctly, this is your very first model??? If so, you should put this one aside for a year or two, and pick up a sig LT40 Kadet, a Nextar or an Alpha to learn to fly on...... If you like building, the Sig Kadet comes in a kit form and is very easy to put together....

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM
gypsey9

Thanks, but I am committed to this now. I will get an experienced pilot to test fly first. I hav flown some basic RTF electric kits and have a private pilot license. I just want to have somethning to do over the winter to keep me busy, so if it takes 5 months, i'm ok with that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70347.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1698697  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
gypsey9

I made a mount and a jig to test start the motor. Have put the landding gear and front gear on
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM
gypsey9

Name:	Mj24723.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1698702  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
gypsey9

My imediate problem is this. I installed the aeleron control horns on both of the wings. I already dilled the holes on the aelerons and installed the horns, but now i find out that since both aeleron are going to run on the same channel( i have nine servos and 6 chanel radio) I will need to wire the 2 aeleron servos together. Do i ned to move the control horn? i,e: one on the inside, parralell to the servo arm and one on the outside.

I had mounted these on the inside, parralel to the the servo, assuming that i can switch the servo direction electronically.

Name:	Ec87941.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1698704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79080.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1698705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80260.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1698706  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
terry.mortimore
My Feedback: (1)

Hi there, welcome aboard:

Yes, you'll have to change one of your control horns. When you wire the servo's together they move in the same direction. You have to somehow have the ailerons move in the opposite directions. You can move the control horn to be inline with the servo arms new position. A little white covering material will hide the holes from the previous location.

Another option is to buy a servo reverser to hook inline with one of the servo's,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN1&P=ML

but that is a little clumsy. Easier to just move the control horn. In the big scheme of things you will never notice the screw holes once they are covered over.

Enjoy the build, and keep warm out there. Terry.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
gypsey9

Thank you,

the holes are no problem, i was going to use some wood filler and fill them in actually and then put the covering on.

my concern was that this may upset the balance of the wings slightly, as one horn will be closer to the fuselage, than the other, but i suppose one plastic horn, 3 small screws and the pushrod being 1.5" farther away should not make a significent difference.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
terry.mortimore
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, now I have myself confused. I went back and looked at your pictures again, I think you had it right to begin with. You want the servo arms to both be pointing either outboard or inboard. Looking at the middle picture, your aileron servo arms will both be pointing inboard which will give you the movement you need.

You better have a look at your flap control horns. I think you will have to move one of these to be correct.

If in doubt, hook up the servo's without mounting anything and visualize their movement. It will make sense then.

I'm going to bed now, it's been a long day. [&o]

Cheers, Terry.