Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Is this nice or what!!

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...vmain=Aircraft - ARTF &subcatname=ARTF - Seagull
Old 12-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Kmot

Default RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

38 views and no comments. Hmmm....... guess it won't be a big seller here!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom:

Lousy pictures, not much information, and a high price for a fancied up TwinStar.

Enough comment?

Bill.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:02 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, some better pics would be nice.

Is it available in the US? Does it come With a retract option. If it has a tapered wing and symetrical airfoil it would be pretty hot.

Good find, thanks for sharing
Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Kmot

Okay, sounds like you won't be getting one Bill!

I see it as a much better alternative than a Twinstar. Looks far better. Has clear windows and a cockpit could be installed. Larger nacelles hide the engtines better and look more scale. The airplane reminds me of a Twin Commanche. I like it. I see one in my future.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 AM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys

they available here in Oz and a club member has test flown one using 2 x .46 AXs for motivation ! As you could imagine it went like a rocket!
I took a look at one (NIB) at had a constant chord, symetrical wing, reasonable covering and looked quite Ok for a twin hack, although I would have to install retracts and paint some cammo on it !! (Twin Warbirds for me!)
They seem very lightly built (almost flimsy) and with a fliying weight of only around 10lbs they would/should be very easy twin to fly, next time I'm at the field I'll try and get some pics and post them.

cheers

Alan
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Kmot

spitmad: g'day, and glad you chimed in! Please do take lots of piccy's and post away!!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
guyglo

Hi from the UK

I have a Seagull Dual Ace which I bought a couple of weeks ago. It was bought on Monday and flying on Friday. I have fitted 2 TT GP42's (cheap plain bearing motors which are well used) and needed a touch on lead to balance the light engines. I balanced it 10mm back from the suggested 80-90mm at 100mm from the L.E. and she flies superbly. Very quick and highly aerobatic. I can prop-hang it and I am sure the passengers would not be very happy inside! Fellow club members have been very impressed and the sound is great. I have pasted some photos on our club web site in the reviews section www.hornetsmfc.co.uk. Motors are side mounted.

Steerable noseleg was replaced with a fixed 6swg home made one as it was useless on our grass patch otherwise I was very impressed with the quality and build. It goes together really well and the instructions are not too bad - not up to Hangar 9 standard but far better than the Flair Mosquito I am building. I used all the supplied hardware which seems well up to the job. I particularly like the glass nacelle halves which enclose the engine, tank etc and the servo for each elevator half. All up weight is 11 lbs and the handling is excellent with no nasty surprises. Last Sunday I had to stop flying as I put half a gallon through it and ran out of fuel!

I would recommend you take a close look at this twin as the box is a little unrepresentative of the quality of the model in my opinion.

Guy Glover

United Kingdom
Old 12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
William Robison

Guy:

A little bother to get to your club site, but I managed it. Then I had to find the plane. For those who go in, it's listed under "Projects."

To save others the effort here are the pictures, cleaned up a bit of course.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55752.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	372734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31647.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	372735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90231.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	372736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27820.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	372737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97103.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	372738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71837.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	372739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln10669.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	372740  
Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is good looking aircraft. I wonder why someone who is trying to sell a model does not include good quality pics. When I first saw the pics on the seller's site, I passed it off as "goofy" looking, but the pics added to the thread show it is much better looking.
I noticed the website mentions "channels-6", & "servos-7". Does this mean that it has flaps and retracts?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
William Robison

Terry:

In Guy Glover's write-up at his club site, he said he had used dual elevator servos. That, with dual aileron and throttle servos, makes seven adding the rudder servo.

To get to his site, click on his link first, then cut and paste the bolded URL (in the upper section) into the search box, click "Go." Then click "Projects" to see the next link that takes you to the report. Needlessly complex, but that's what I had to do.

Bill.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Kmot

The link to Guys site is dead now.

Bill, thanks for capturing and posting the pictures! That is a handsome airplane. I definitely see it in my future now. Just need to get one stateside.

Guy, thanks for chiming in and making your pictures and performance known! [sm=thumbup.gif]

TLH101: talk about goofy pics on the box. The Phoenix F-20 has about the goofiest drawing ever. I got the plane and inside is nothing like the drawing. Of course it is much much better. Phoenix really needs to can the drawings and stick to photos of the real model!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM
William Robison

Tom (and others):

Sorry, I missed a couple steps to get into Guy's site. Just went in gain, and made screen shots along the way.

1) Click on the link in Guyglo's post.
2) Cut and paste the club name into the search box, and click "GO."
3) Even though this looks like you've been sent back home, click on the club name.
4) Now click on "Projects (etc)."
5) Select the "Seagull Twin,"
6) And there you are.

Sorry for the error.

Bill.

Name:	Nl28637.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	372844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65650.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	372845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82038.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	372846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50078.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	372847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25946.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	372848  
Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 AM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys
called past the local hobby store and had another look at the Dual Ace, retails here in Australia for $270 which is good value for a twin (considering that alot of single engine .46 size ARFs are $250ish , the only other ARF twins are the ESM/KMP B25 @ $560, the ESM P38 @ $640 and the CMPro Mosquito @ $450.

The model is VERY light weight for a twin (bordering on flimsy!), I contemplated splashing some cash as it is so cheap (as I have spare engines, servos etc to build with no extra cost )but decided that it was too much work to fit retracts (all the extra strengthening of U/C Mounts) and the covering looks like it will peel easily........It looks like it would be a nice 'reliable twin hack' that you could fly with minimal maintenance ........I'll think I'll stick to high maintenance twins (My B25, P38 and Mossie) for now and finish the projects on the bench (TF GS P47)......then again I may change my mind tomorrow

cheers

Alan
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 AM
guyglo

Hello again from the UK.

Sorry some are having trouble getting to the Hornets web site for my Dual Ace pics. If you type in www.hornetsmfc.co.uk into your browser it works fine. It is only the link from this site.
Anyway thanks for putting them on to this forum.

There are three servos in the fus, rudder and 2 elevator, in the wing there are 2 throttle and 2 aileron. No flaps and retracts.
The wing halves slide on to a substantial alloy tube and are fixed in place with 2 large nylon (?) screws each from inside the fus. Canopy in held in place by 4 set screws. Throttle and aileron servos have to be connected up once the wings are in place. All pretty quick really.

No spinners are supplied in the box

Just for those who may be interested she fits fully assembled into the back of my Chevy Lumina APV - but only just!

Cheers,

Guy Glover

Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Kmot

Cheers, Guy. Thank you! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Kmot

Great News!

I contacted Horizon Hobby to inquire about them importing the Dual Ace and guess what!!

Tom, Hello and thank you for your question. We will be getting the Dual Ace from Seagull around late February early March. We will not be picking up the Sea Fury at this time. Thank you for your interest in our products and we continue to look into the new and exciting models from the Seagull company. Hope this answers your questions and have a good day.

Thank You,
Horizon Consumer Sales Division
800-338-4639

Old 01-09-2006, 09:42 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

Not a bad looking airplane.Its a shame there is no option for retracts though.It looks very simular to my Twin Comanche

Steve
uk

Name:	Lj23311.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	384150  
Old 01-14-2006, 09:08 PM
PeterC

While scrolling through this forum the other day I saw mention of the Dual Ace. I liked the pictures (box art is awful) and thought I might like one. Today in my cruise through one of the local hobby shops one was sitting there so I had to have a look and I liked what I saw so I plunked down my money, (a rare occurance) and took it home. After a quick glance through the manual I quickly saw I didn't like the way they did things so I was going to do it in my own order.
The first thing I did was to remove the canopy and notice that all the hardware is metric which is OK and it does seem to be of a reasonable quality. The canopy (cabin roof) removed cleanly giving access to the innerds; plenty of room in there. I noticed all the visible glue joints had a fairly wide bead extending out from the actual juncture so there seemed to be plenty of glue in there although I do wish I knew what it was.
I just had to rough assemble the main components to get an Idea of just how big this plane was going to be when finished. Plenty big by the looks of it although a pair of 45's which I happen to have might just make this thing ballistic. The first task regarding effort in the building department was to remove covering where the wing tube, servo leads and stabilizer pass through the fuselage. At first I thought the covering might be Ultracoat (good) but on closer examination I think it is some form of Eastern film used on hundreds of other ARF's. It was so tough that my scalpel had trouble cutting it cleanly; tough stuff. The second thing I noticed is that there were a few wrinkles, mainly in the stabilizer and a couple in the wings. I hope the heat gun will do it's job when I attack it.
Anyway, that's it for about an hours poking about, I'll post more as I come to it. If you have any questions or advice which I might use please post it here so we can all learn. So far I'm happy with it.
Peter
Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 PM
jephry

hi all here is my config, have got it last nov and madien.. since done 2 flight.. flies really well though

Servo JR 539
Engines: 2xSaito 72
Prop: 2x12/6 Mas

here is the link to the video
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11306

Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Kmot

jephry!! That is so awesome!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Thanks for posting the video. What a sweet plane!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 PM
fearless fly

Hi Jephry,yes,an exellent video.Started assembling mine last night.Hope it flies as well as yours.
Googled up the Piper,and doesn't it look like the Seneca.Have been trying to work out which full size plane it resembled.Now I know.

Cheers,

Fearless Fly
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
PeterC

Yes, the video is excellent. It seems to fly like a Dualist. I was wondering if there is any tendency to tip stall with the flaperons deployed? They are fairly far out on the wing and being a tapered wing and all.
I think those wheels inthe kit will have to go! 2" diameter and soft foam rubber. I think one session of flying off hardtop would rip them right off.
I got the tail surfaces hinged and glued on last night along with taking the wrinkles out. The covering seems to respond to lots of heat so all may be well. I can't say I'm fussy of the pushrods, especially the rudder and was thinking about pull pull.
Peter
Old 01-16-2006, 09:39 AM
jephry

yup the wheel i am using is 70mm, too short will not clear the prop nicely, Flaperon is set at 30% and so far no tip stalling issues... land with bou 15 - 20% throttle will guide it down with scale looks.. take off at 60% for long runway and scale looks
Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Anybody know if availble in the US?If so where and how much.Does remind me of my Twinstar buy bigger and more scale looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.