Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Lizzie Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:53 PM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got ahold of Flying Models to see if they have digital copies of their plans to send off to a kit cutter.

They replied no, but said they had recently acquired a laser cutter and could put together a complete short kit.

Sounds good to me!! They said they should have more info for me next week.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Thayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it has taken a bit more time that I had hoped, but I am very close to finalizing the part cut files for the 52-inch version of the Twin Lizzie II for Shaun. At this point I plan to offer a full set of the sheet balsa parts, with mat board templates for some of the blocking. Watch the Flying Models plan site for updates and pricing. The Flying Models Plan Store

Thayer
Old 11-04-2019, 03:51 AM
[email protected]

Box of parts ready for assembly

Front left

Back right

Front right
Hello together

I am now officially resurrecting this thread, as another Twin Lizzie is being built.

After having stumbled over Denis build thread of the Twin Lizzie 2+ by accident last spring, I kind of couldnt forget about the plane and ordered the plan set too. After studiying the plans, which by the way were of excellent quality, I decided to stop searching for a kit cutter and going old school with the build.
So after having finished the ongoing project ( a 27 feet glider also in wood construction) I started cutting the parts in early September. The build kind of grew on me and after about two months I am now already at a stage where I can see the end already.
Except for the nacelles all mayor components have been finished and given a rough sanding and the nacelles will be ready for installment too.
I have to say, I am enjoying the build greatly, as this is a well thought out plan /plane. That must be also the explanation why I did get this progress with a full time job and a family with two kids...;-) Anyway, I have now ordered the cowl from Fiberglass specialities and I looking forward to their delivery.

In general I followed the plan pretty closely, the only deviation yet is the installation of two small 9gramm servos in the elevator for the rudders instead of the pouchrod assembly, and the construction of a battery hatch in the nose as I intend to go electric.

This brings up my main point for this post. Did anybody build, or know about a build of the TL2+ with electric power? I am looking around for possible options for a power train. I am looking here more for endurance than for raw power.

Lookig forward to your feedback.

Best regards

Robin
Old 02-04-2020, 05:06 AM
[email protected]

Hello together
While this winter is a rather mild one and allows for quite some flying, I have still plugged on with the Lizzie build.
At this moment the plane is actually awaiting better weather for its maiden flight. (Of course the weather had to turn bad the moment the plane was ready...)
The powersystem consists of two 7 ounce 550kv motors with counter rotating 12x8 APCE propellers and a 5 cell 5000mAh battery. The take off weight is 4,4kg (~9 lbs) and therefore a bit over the design weight of 7,5-8lbs. Still 9lbs are quite a good value for a plane of thius size and wing area, so I am not worried.
The additional pound is due to some mods I have introduced duing the build. I made the tailplane removable and also installed two micro servos in the tail to drive the rudders. Also the Robart tailwheel unit is rather more sturdy than the one proposed in the plans, but it was what I had available at that time. And I can get the CoG without any nedd for lead with just the positioning of the battery. I also exchanged the planned landing gear with a commercial unit.

All in all I am very happy with the plane, and I have to say, that for a plan build it went very well,l which is also reflected in the total build time of a little under 4 months all in all. And I have a family with two smaller kids and a fulltime job next to the hobby...;-.)

Now I am looking forward to the maiden. And of course I will report how it flies.

I have some pictures that I took just before and after covering and before installing the electronics and and mounting the windows.

Best Regards
Robin

Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 AM
[email protected]

Hello together

On the past weekend the LIzzy had her Maiden flight and a few more. All went well, the plane just need two clicks of right aileron trim. Thanks to the counterrotating propellers, there were also no issues with the take of. As expected, once airborne the plane behaved like a big trainer. Stalling is a non event, as the plane even with full elevator will just go into a nose down attitude an mush downwards while rmaining controllable.

The final all up weight was abit above the weight given in the plan (9 lbs instead of the 7-8 lbs given in the plan). But thats due to my changes that I have introduced, like the removable tail unit, the commercial landing gear and the 5 cell drive.
But the plane does bear the weight rather well . Anything less, and it would practicall thermal...;-)

With a 5cell 5000mAh battery, there were on average 40% remaining capacity after a 7.5 minutes flight.
All in all I am very happy with the plane and it will for sure become one of my favourite planes of the coming season.

See some pictures further down and few low qulaity videos of the maiden. Maiybe they will convince somebody to try its hand on this plane too.

Greetings Robin

Maiden part 1

Maiden part 2

Right side

Front

Left side

In good compnay

Top left

Maiden part 3