Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

Community
Search
Notices
VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying Discuss VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying in this forum

Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

Im curious if their supplied motor is enough power, the video on their site does not work, and Im wondering if its enough, sure looks small..
Old 07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone flying the OMP Variable pitch unit yet?

John,
I just checked UPS tracking and mine should be on my door step when I get home. I will let you know how it works out. Should have it done early next week. I have my own Yak that it's going on. It has a little more wing area then the Shock flyer one.
Later,
Craig
Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 PM
JohnVH

Cool, did you get thier supplied motor? I finally ordered a AXI 2208/34 to put it on, I didnt want to have margional power
Old 07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
mdavies31

I ordered the Shock Flyer Yak, 4D prop and the S2 motor. UPS says it will be here July 12.
I'm planning to use Hitec 55's, CC 10 ESC and Poly-Quest 850ma batteries, 2.5 oz., hope their not to big. We will soon see.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:33 AM
ckoerner

I have a small problem. You have to slide two bearings over a brass tube. The tube got stuck in one of the bearings and the bearing came apart. I'll have to see if I can get another bearing from someone. I hate to have to buy another unit. The unit is pretty nice. The give you an extra pitch slider in case you brake one. The instructions suck. It doesn't show how to put it on the Ikarus motor with the prop saver built into it. According to the thrust numbers that come with the motor, it should be enough. Plus I think the weight savings helps also.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Carl.E

The supplied motor is enough power for vertical (in both directions) hovering and climbing, with a 3-cell pack. The PPS is definitely less efficient than a standard prop because of the lack of twist, though. Make sure you have your pitch curves set up right, because I KNOW that little motor has enoguh power to tear the PPS apart if it gets a chance to over-rev! [:@] Check your pitch servo and make sure it doesn't have any damaged gears before each flight, or you'll soon find out the hard way!

Carl
Old 07-11-2005, 04:26 PM
rc-eflyer

ORIGINAL: Carl.E

The supplied motor is enough power for vertical (in both directions) hovering and climbing, with a 3-cell pack. The PPS is definitely less efficient than a standard prop because of the lack of twist, though. Make sure you have your pitch curves set up right, because I KNOW that little motor has enoguh power to tear the PPS apart if it gets a chance to over-rev! [:@] Check your pitch servo and make sure it doesn't have any damaged gears before each flight, or you'll soon find out the hard way!

Carl
Carl,

I would be very interested in your throttle/pitch curves. I have had only marginal success with the S2/PPS combo on a YAK-54.
Yes, it will hover in both directions but only marginally. I've tried many pitch settings and have as yet found one that gives good
thrust for an 8 oz. aircraft like the Ikarus YAK. Also, what size 3S pack are you using?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
ckoerner

I should have mine done this weekend. I have to extend the wires on my pitch servo and that's about it. I will post pics of the set-up. I finally got my two bearings. If you need extra parts, you are better off getting another whole set-up. Those two little bearings cost $17.00 plus the shipping. It cost $27.00 by time it was shipped. OUCH!
[:@]
The hardest part is mounting the pitch servo.
Later,
Craig
Old 07-15-2005, 04:16 PM
JohnVH

Bummer! I just got in, put 3 packs through mine, 2208/34 hollow shaft on a Mini Pro Sukhoi, its alot of fun, cant get enough negative pitch to back it up, but I think flipping the blades and reversing the motor will help on that, but then might not have enough positive....

Either way, its fun!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
ckoerner

Finally got mine flying this weekend. The plane I'm using is my own design of the Yak. It came out to 6.3oz with a 2 cell 730 pack. The 2 cell is a little under powered. I was able to stop it coming down, but not able to get it to back up at all. It's pretty cool coming straight down and the plane stopping. I am going to try a 3 cell pack next.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
JohnVH

Flew mine a few more times this weekend, it was hot out and all it would do was slow down the vertical, no stopping it

Like to find one that will. From what I see, can t get enough negative pitch in it, design flaw, going to see if I can modify it to work.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM
ckoerner

John,
Are you running a 3 cell? It should do it with the Axi on there with no problem. The Axi has more power then the Ikarus motor I'm running. I know getting the pitch set up is important. The first time I couldn't get it to stop. I played with the pitch a little and finally got it. I just need some more power.
Later,
Craig
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
JohnVH

Yep, 3cell all the way. kinda bummed after spending the money, but it makes neat sounds I guess... Im fairly sure part of the problem is the blades as well, at least I was told that by a pro variable pitch jockey
Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 AM
ckoerner

John,
How much does yours weigh?
I finally got some flights on it this morning with no wind. On a fresh 2 cell I was able to get it to back up a little. I just have to get the 3 cell pack and try it.
Later,
Craig
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
JohnVH

really? wow. Ill have to weigh mine
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
ckoerner

I still think I have too much negative. When I got it to stop, I decreased the negative a little and then that's when it started to back up a little. Maybe it was a gust of wind? It wasn't much, but it did. This was only when the pack was fresh.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Spacey

Sorry guys I'm no expert on these things but I would like to suggest something. You guys tried one of the high discharge packs like a Kokam 3S 910mah? I am just wondering if the packs you are using can handle the amp draw and so on. The last one I tried to fly we ran into these problems with the small packs not being able to supply the power needed when the pitch starts goin on these things. We then switched to the 3S 910 kokam and it was much better. I didn't build the plane I flew though and we're still new at this thing so the prop ate the plane up before we could go into negative. Got enough power upright though
Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 AM
ckoerner

Here are a few picts of my set-up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37575.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	299813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99708.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	299814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40512.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	299815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37301.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	299816  
Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
mdavies31

ckoerner:
You have the pitch slider attached to the trailing edge of the blade holder as shown on Ikarus website, yet the exploded view in the instructions show it attached to the leading edge. I wonder if they show it both ways because it makes no difference or is one way better? I assembled my just opposite of yours, it works OK but now I concerned I have it backwards.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40919.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	299917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85650.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	299918  
Old 07-21-2005, 03:54 PM
ckoerner

I didn't notice that. You would get more positive pitch the way you have it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
JohnVH

Well, I flipped mine, and didnt have enough positive pitch to climb out.... Went back to origional setup with little negative.. Got to design a new pitch slider that allows enough negative pitch yet giving enough positive...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
ckoerner

The way mine is now, I get a lot of negative and a little positive.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:14 PM
mdavies31

Maybe by accident did something right. I used a amp meter to set the pitch servo end points at 10 amps both positive and negative, works out to 70% throw both ways.
Then I set the pitch curve at 90-90-90-90-90 in NORM flight which is about 9 amps on the meter and set the IDL1 pitch curve at 10-10-50-90-90, also maxs at 9amps.
I first tried pitch in IDL1 progressive, 10-30-50-70-90, but what I got was a RPM increase with little pull until full throttle and full pitch, both positive and negative. I figured it pulls full pitch at low RPM's in Norm so I made it pull full pitch, not progressive, in IDL1. Hovers and will pull out, slowly, in forward flight and if I slow it down while in level flight, nose it over and go to full reverse it will stop, hover and do one torque roll all by itself though I take the credit. Wish I was that good.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:43 PM
JohnVH

I made a little adjustment to mine, the plastic pitch slider was bending so I scuffed it a bit with sand paper and glued some tiny carbon onto them, it helped, still will never back up vertically, but was much better
Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 AM
ckoerner

I flew mine with three cells last night. What a difference. If I came down and hit full negative, the airplane would back up and then be horizontal. With the three cells mine is still under 7oz. Right now I have about the same vertical as I did with a regular Axi 2208-34 set-up on 2 cells. I think I might order the Axi with the Hobby Lobby set-up and give that a try. I was at a fly in and Scott Foster was pitted next to us. He was flying his and had plenty of power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.