Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:24 PM
MaxMilli0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

I will give setting the trim to center before turning on a go... hadnt thought of that.

I have played around with the screw in the gyro and lots track... it just seems to go round and around never hitting a stop. Is that right??? Anyone know about the setting for this??

I will probably take it to bits to have a look and maybe replace with a better unit, i am going to replace the servos anyway due to lots of chatter which obviously doesnt help

MAX
Old 04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
MaxMilli0n

Yes i have had the same problem on occasion... flying ok and then all of a sudden WHAM the thing goes off full throttle and takes out the table, wall, pot plants ect... not good for the main blades or anything else for that matter

WANNA KNOW HOW I CURED IT...

Well it seems that the receiver is not so hot BUT.... if you run the aerial from the box down to the battery pack (where there are 2 convenient lugs for a elastic band) wind it round twice then run it to the back of the chopper to the bottom of the rear stantion. (where it meets the ground) and then back up to the battery pack luggs and wind it up. Leave about 2 inches hanging down.

AND IT WORKS A TREAT.

I think it is the receiver misinterpreting signals or just plain getting confused... but i have had not reciever or AAARRRGGGHHH full power stuff since i did this. Of course you could have your switches reversed in which case your power off it full power on

MAX
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
chench

No, its definately something in the circuit board or the motor itself; as I turn the throttle up the tail motor's speed increases. he other thing is, one of the wires to the motor has come off, probs cos of the vibrations the blades gave the poor thing while i was hanging onto it and the rotor was belting round. Obviously the motor doesnt work unless you touch it to the motor, but could this be the cause somehow?
Chench
Old 04-28-2005, 02:47 PM
MaxMilli0n

ORIGINAL: hrwatson68

I keep breaking tail rotors because I sometimes slide the tail on my living room carpet(still very green and already tried the parking lot training which resulted in trashing a set of main blades and a tail rotor). Is'nt it ok if I put some sort of extension on the tail stick and just balance the weight with the battery location? I was thinking some sort of skid to help the tail slide sideways instead of the fiberglass/carbon rod (I'm not sure of the composition) just poking it's small toothpick sized footprint down into my carpet.

Also, any ideas on where to find a servo gear set for the #4? If I move the right stick to the full up/right position on the transmitter, one of the servos will grind and click and you'll see the control surface move up and down accordingly
Old 04-30-2005, 04:47 AM
andyace

Hi got my walkera 4 a couple of weeks ago had lots of problems, the transmitter was all wrong , had to take apart and swap over the leads inside. Now seems ok. I suggest anyone who gets one 1st takes off the main blades and checks the controls are operating correctly. Secondly had alot of problems with balancing and stability, then I read an article about stability on the Trex helicopter. I fitted 3 3.5mm nuts on each side of the stabilizer bar to increase weight and centrifugal force, worked a treat it's like flying a different heli. Would recommend this for beginners and slowly remove weight as you improve.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:56 AM
JOSE-FLY

HELP! I am new to the hobby, with a #4. Very little documentation with the bird/radio.
1) Whats with the dip switches on the back of the transmitter? I can see no
difference on simulator when I turn them on/off. What position SHOULD they be in?

2) What are the two toggle switches on the front of the transmitter? Again various
positions produce no change on simulator.

3) Whats the small flat button just to the left or the right toggle switch?

Great forum !!! I will change out servos before trying to fly. Right now just
trying to take off and land on the simulator without crashing.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:16 PM
hrwatson68

I believe the 2 extra switches mean we got a 6 channel radio with our 4 channel heli. I don't know what the compatible reciever is though, Futaba most likely, but maybe JR??? Anyone know?

The dip switches are servo/channel reverse switches( it explains it in the crappy manual).
Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 AM
oops

The two toggles and the one flat button do nothing. They are not connected. Open it up and look inside. They make the cases with extra holes there. The switches fill the holes.

The first four dipswitches reverse the channels.

The last four do nothing.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:08 AM
hrwatson68

thats cool, now I have a couple extra switches for my XP6102.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
donoldenburg

This is the first heli I have ever flown. It is not great quality however the price is right. Mine was missing the shim sleeve between the body tube and rotor on the drive shaft. Boy does this cause problems. Check over the exploded veiw drawing and verify all parts are there. Being new I designed my own flight trainer using 4ea. 3 foot long carbon fiber rods with ping pong balls on the end. Nice easy stable flight. Heli still has good power. Ugly and cumbersome. I trimmed them back 6 inches at a time when I mastered hovering at each length. This allowed me to not trash any parts. I now fly without the trainer.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
chench

Whats an XP6102?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is my experience with this little helicopter:

Buyed it this week, about ten flights of 8 minutes average (last minute and half of flight it just can barely hover in ground effect ) using the stock 600 Mah Ni-Mh batteries.

Didn´t touched any setting of the heli, with the exception of the ciclic elevator and aileron swashplate throws, the pushrods are factory installed in the outer hole of the servo arm, I installed it in the middle of the servo arm, it made the heli less twichy and more suitable for indoor flying.

It´s a good idea to make regular checks at the main and rear motor mounting screws. they like to get loose. be careful to not overtighten.

I buyed a second battery pack, and slow charge them using a common Ni-Cd cycler at 50 Mah, for 15 hours, so every night at home I have guaranteed 16 minutes flying without being worried about burning down the house

Overall it is a fun indoor experience, I will try to fly it outdoors in the club this weekend in the late evening, when there is almost no wind and no light enough to fly the heavier stuff. I´ll post my results here.

Best regards, Enrique

Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 PM
hrwatson68

It's JR Radios 6 channel computer radio, and it rocks!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Planeidiot

I have the Walkera #4 Heli and about 3 flights into it the reciever/gyro/mixer got so hot it melted the battery and Main Motor leads off the circuit board... Anyone with a diagram? I'd like to see if I can solder them back on. Or what about another product?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
hrwatson68

planeidiot, I tryed to solder the little ic that popped off my walkera board, but it did'nt work, so I now have a gws receiver, and a gws PHA-01 3 in 1 mixer installed and working properly. You might also want to check the gear mesh on your bird, it sounds like it's way too tight. Now that I've checked my gear mesh, the main motor never even gets warm. The tail motor still heats up though, and I have a gws direct drive tail motor conversion in the works.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Planeidiot

Thanks Hrwatson68
I guess I'll have to buy seperate Gyro, mixer and speed controlls.... [&o]
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
JOSE-FLY

I have a simple and easy solution to the tail skid on rugs problem. I found a small plastic bead (8mm) in my wife's sewing basket. I drilled half way
through the existing hole so that it would slide over the skid rod. A touch
of RTV keeps it there without making it permanent. No more hangups
and it raises the blade another 4mm.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:08 PM
chench

You know the little whatdyacallit; the little L-shaped key thing; that comes with the #4, whats that for?
chench
Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: chench

You know the little whatdyacallit; the little L-shaped key thing; that comes with the #4, whats that for?
chench
i think you mean the "allen" wrench. you can use it to loosen and tighten the flybar weight collars and maybe some other "grub" or "set" screws on the heli.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:19 PM
hrwatson68

I think you can also adjust the stick height on the transmitter with it as well. Loosen the set screw inside the stick, then turn the stick in the desired direction to lengthen or shorten it. After you get the sticks where you want, don't forget to tighten the set screw.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:17 PM
servezvous

WoW... all this information is great!

Any clue how long I should charge the factory battery for the Walkera #4. I didn't get the instructions!

Got new blades, thanks for the tricks, need to twist them... The Helli wasn't lifting at all! Going to try that in an hour.

Any advice for wood blades for the Walkera #4. Seems they perform a lot better!

***---Message edited an hour later ---***

Well got it off the ground at leat, still need a lot of practice. How bad to I need to twist thoses blades to get the best performance. Gotta say that Heli is quite solid!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 AM
oops

Twisting the blades more? Hmmm. I think we have an alternate fault here...

I'm suspecting that some of the Walkera 4's might have a bad battery cell which is limiting power to the motor...

I know mine has problems lifting out of ground effect when the battery gets low, and it would be about the voltage level with a missing cell.

Those of us who have a good Walkera 4 know it will easily lift off with a second battery weight just hanging from the bottom.

Servezvous, does your battery get quite warm (at least hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch) when you charge it? If it does, then I suspect you have a bad cell in your battery pack.

If this is the case, try getting an 8 cell NiMH and attaching it instead of the 7 cell, and see if this makes a big difference.

They fly a LOT better with an 8 cell (8.4v) pack.

Regards
David.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:49 AM
hdeen

Bought a Walkera #4 thru E-bay. $140 posted. Got a friend of mine to come check the bird out , trim it and do the maiden flight. It flew stock standard. I have read the forums so I thought it was money wasted but my pal says it is identical to his twister and flys the same. The twister sells here in Aus for around $400.
For a cheap bird it flys OK. I am brand new to heli's so didnt want to spend too much money initially. However I am having a blast just learning and if I learn to hover this bird my friend says I can fly anything. So its going to be a challenge.

We met up with the E-Bay seller and my friend was so impressed that he bought a #35 CCPM on the spot. I am not going to name the shop 'cos this is not a sales pitch - I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents as I did spend a lot of time on this forum and appreciated what everyone had to say.
So if you remember the saying "you get what you pay for" this heli is definitely cheap but not crap.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:02 AM
hrwatson68

amen to that! I bought one for $125 shipped, and I have already replaced the radio system, and am not mad about it(I still use the walkera radio on my FMS simulator!) for what it is and what I got(extra battery and crash kit with training gear) You can't really go wrong as a first heli.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, tried it outdoors, and it flew ok while was not wind. this little copter is better suited for
indoor flying...any little turbulence or light breeze makes the W4 wobble and makes it less pleasant to fly. anyway it was fun. about 20 flights by now, average 7 minutes each, the only
problem so far with it is a strange oscillation induced by the tail rotor, (kind a excess gain in the gyro) that get bigger and end shaking badly the heli in all axes... I tried to change the trim pot
setting on the receiver, but it didn´t give any result. Only thing that helped a little was tightening
the rotor nuts, making the rotor absolutely square to the flybar and moving the flybar weights
2 cm inward. didn´t searched yet about this problem,did anybody experienced it or know why this happens?

Rgds, Enrique

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.