Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 AM
rotarypower3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

I'll answer for Jon!
Have a look here...[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355881&page=3[/link]
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 AM
mazakari

Hi Greggsy,

Here are a couple of pics. I use a Twister head on my heli and have mounted them on top of the head. The other pic shows someone who used the standard Walkera head and just turned the plastic nuts upside down. If you need any more info let me know.

Jon

Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM
mazakari

ORIGINAL: rotarypower3

I'll answer for Jon!
Have a look here...[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355881&page=3[/link]
Cheers rotary,

I borrowed one of your pic's. I hope you don't mind.....

Jon
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM
mazakari

Sorry about that batfalcon,

Try this site [link=http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/acatalog/RadioAccs_Servos.html]here[/link]. I have used them before and they are a good bunch of guys.

Jon
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
dragon_no_fly

Wow, that thing is sick Mazakari, thanks for getting back. I have watched a good number of videos with the TRex and it is quite impressive. The good thing about it is that
it has the belt drive, no more stupid tail motors and no more tail gears that can wear out. I have read a few threads about the Trex concerning belt drive life span, I wish I still had the link, but it is generally pretty high, say around 100-150 flights or more. With my current separates setup in my Walkera #4 I have made 41 flights on the same tail motor and it is still going strong. I keep a detailed flight log on it and have logged every single flight I have ever made since the first day that I bought it. You are right, the Walkera can be a nightmare to control, today I was practising on it and doing hard orientations in a small spot in my garage to keep me on my toes. That thing is still a blast to chase my cat around with!

Old 06-04-2005, 09:27 AM
greggsy2000

hey mazakari, thanks for the pics. They will help lots. I think I've got some aluminium out in the shed that I should be able to make a head stiffener out of. So you also reckon I should change the pinion on my motor. What are you running. I have the stock motor and have a 7.4v li-po pack 1800mah. what would you reccomend. Or should I spend a bit more and get an 11.1v and then worry about changing the pinion. I wish my blades would hurry up and arrive. Well thanks once again.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:38 AM
roozeken

Hey,

Can U give us some pictures of you mods?

ORIGINAL: oops

The servo's aren't great... Just replace them. I know it will cost nearly $50, but it's worth it.

I tried HS-55 and they were OK for a while, but are too sensitive to noise for the WK4.

I got some cheap ($22) "Manufactured in China" PFS-09 "Park Flyer R/C Servo's", which have been great. I originally bought them for the tail servo for my Walkera 22a (which flew for the second time today - last flight before I replace the tail gears...). They are good. Very resistant to noise.

Unlike all other servo's I've tried, they don't budge. If you turn the receiver on and off, they remain steady... Not a sound. And since you have center stick when you turn off the transmitter/receiver, they don't move when you turn on either. I literally have to swivel the stick to see them move.

They are a little slow, but fast enough for a WK4. And now I am getting some nice hover... Just dealing with the "Power Cut" problem now... I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad battery connector or maybe a broken aerial wire. Some time I will replace the copper wire with a multicore.

I've gotten mine to take off straight up to a stable hover now. Just add power... But like most Walkera 4's it needs constant attention.
Still I've flown it inside for the first time... Not bad with just 50cm clearance in four directions. Most flights end in grief, but I've kept it close to
center for a 10 to 12 seconds. You need about 1m to 2m clearance in each direction to fly it inside well.

I went through 10 tail rotors. I always buy one more than I have fitted. (Always keep a spare). The original had longer legs than the cheap replacement tailrotors I get from modelshops. I originally put a wire tail on, fixed in 2 spots, but it eventually got bent out of shape. I only went back to the stick today. I got some 1.2mm wire, folder the end 3mm, and stuck it in the hole next to the motor. Then I bent the end around in a half-circle and hooked the end around the tailstick. It keeps it from moving into the tail-rotor arc. A stick of 1m long 2mm carbon stick is only $8, so get some. You will need it. Make the tail stick a centimeter longer. And run a diagonal wire down the line of the tail flag (which I got rid of anyway) and make the end "Bouncy"

That slowed down the destruction of tail rotors a lot for me! Also, I've thought of gluing the broken hub center from a tail rotor to the bottom of the tailstick.

The Walkera 4 isn't too fussy about CoG. They are close anyway. Moving the battery isn't hard, but a few grams at the tail doesn't matter.

My Main rotors are badly chewed out now from impacts... I'm even starting to wonder if that's causing the Gyro to glitch, but the thing still flies, and
when it's not glitching, it's quite good to fly.

The biggest thing with the Walkera is to fix up the head. Clean up any extra plastic.

Also, you usually need to make the blades tight, and they work much better with a 8cell battery Much longer flying times.

Anyway, my experiences with the Walkera 4 have given me an idea what is needed in a training heli Maybe one day I'll design some simple changes and suggest them to the factories

David
Old 06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
woolfster2

I have noticed that the servos are twitching making control a *itch What is causing this? Please help before my plastic pilot realy gets hurt
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 PM
cptsnoopy

Hi woolfster2,

it's been mentioned many times on this thread and others concerning walkera servos. they are of bad quality. they tend to be very twitchy. they want to hurt your plastic pilot.

for the most part everyone agrees that you should immediately replace your stock walkera servos with some other known brand such as GWS, Hitec, Futaba, JR, etc. If you look over the thread you will see what others have used and have had a much better flying heli since then.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
woolfster2

THANKS MUCH I'M GOING TO ORDER REPLACEMENTS TODAY. DO YOU KNOW WHY THESE GET TWITCHY? IS IT THE WAY I HAVE THE ANTENA ROUTED? OR ARE THEY JUST CRAP? THANKS LOT THE REPLY I REALLY APPRECIEATE IT
Old 06-08-2005, 05:26 PM
leadsinga

I love my CH4 n she ant twitchy at all! ... or my dad's one now ether. What I did was run the antennia down the tail boom n back to the landing gear then coiled a little leaving about 5 in hanging free under heli.

It is a little twitchy if sitting on carpet but that is mainly caused by static energy! ... I mean the heli ant that high qual when it comes to electrics eh :P

But yeh I am yet to have any problems. I did this with the antennia straight away too! ... Have imported n onsold 12 of these and told the buyers to do the same and they also have not come back with any problemds like this ether!!!! (TOUCH LARGE WOOD LOG!!!)

Give it a go

Muz
Old 06-08-2005, 05:29 PM
leadsinga

Oh I also before flying the first time removed all servo arms and then turned on radio for the first time to allow it to set nertral positions for servo's with no weight on them! ... then I ran them through their full movements quate a few times before centreing trims and reconnecting arms etc.

Just my thoughts thou I know its a bit of luck of the draw with Walkera but man you get a lotta bang n fun for the money!!!!

Muz
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
woolfster2

THANKS FOR THE INFO I'M GOING TO GIVR IT HELL TOMMORROW AND I WILL REPORT BACK TO YA
Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
woolfster2

I'M HAVING A HARD TIME TRYING TO STOP A CLOCKWISE ROTATION FOF MY BIRD. AND NOW IT WANTS TO ROLL TO THE RIGHT. I HAD TO REPLACE THE TAIL MOTOR AND AS SOON AS I HIT THE THROTTLE A BIT THE TAIL STARTS TO MOVE LEFT
Old 06-10-2005, 05:29 PM
woolfster2

BIG DISCOVERY. I DISCONNECTED THE MAIN MOTOR AND WORKED THE THROTTLE AND FOUND THAT TAIL MOTOR SPEED COULD NOT BE CHANGED BY MOVING THE RIGHT TRANSMITTED LEVER LEFT TO RIGHT. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:47 PM
woolfster2

WELL DO I FEEL STUPID. THE SETTING ON THE LEFT SIDE STICK WAS OFF ALL THE WAS TO THE RIGHT I THINK I'M HAVING SENIOR MOMENTS TOOO SOON
Old 06-17-2005, 12:24 PM
stinknugget
My Feedback: (1)

Hey all. I purchased a walkera #4 and am waiting for delivery now. I must have read each post in this forum at least 20 times so i figured id post and let my experiences be known. This is my first heli. I plan on upgrading the servos almost immediatly. My big question now is in reference to the tail motor. Should i replace it from the get go and if so with what? I read about someone using a ducted fan but am not too sure how to mount it. Any other pre flight upgrades i should get? suggestions are greatly appreciated as i would like to upgrade this heli to the equivalent of its more realiable counterparts. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:36 PM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: stinknugget

Hey all. I purchased a walkera #4 and am waiting for delivery now. I must have read each post in this forum at least 20 times so i figured id post and let my experiences be known. This is my first heli. I plan on upgrading the servos almost immediatly. My big question now is in reference to the tail motor. Should i replace it from the get go and if so with what? I read about someone using a ducted fan but am not too sure how to mount it. Any other pre flight upgrades i should get? suggestions are greatly appreciated as i would like to upgrade this heli to the equivalent of its more realiable counterparts. Thanks again.
no need to replace the tail motor before it fails. it may last a long time it may not. you could just for the fun of it have a spare motor or other tail system around but some of ours have lasted quite a while.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM
stinknugget

I received my walkera #4 today from hobbyjapan2000. I am very pleased with my purchase. The helicopter is very well put together and is extremely durable (unless your a lunatic). After looking over the helicopter and making sure everything was level and tight, i popped the battery in and fired it up. My tx isnt working with the simulator but i would rather learn to fly it the old fashioned way anyway. After slowly giving it power i noticed the importance of trimming the rotors with the trims on the tx. After it lifted off the ground i gave it a little too much tail rotor and it spun out and crashed on the floor. No damage what so ever. The battery fell out and the blades collapsed like they are suppose too but no damage was done. I was amazed after reading horror stories for the past 4 days. I fired it up again and acheived a little under a five second hover. Crashed again. No damage. Unbelieveable. The third time i started it up and gave it a little power and the tail rotor snapped on the carpet. No biggie just super glued it. Charged the battery for an hour and a half and tried again. Hovered but crashed tail snapped again. once again i glued the tail. I am going to order the ducted fan and the carbon fiber tail kit from hobbyheli soon so i dont have to keep replacing the tail rotor. Also, the servos do twitch Alot, especially when the battery gets low. I am also replacing them with the gws naro servos. After running on a low speed for about 10 minutes my main motor, circuit board, batter and tail motor are cool to the touch. I am very happy with the #4 and plan on upgrading its components as it become necessary. I do have one question. Is the fin on the tail really necessary?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 PM
hrwatson68

Congrats on the purchase of the #4 SN. I really dont think the tail fin does anything on this bird in hovering flight. I think it is more for stability in forward flight.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
stinknugget

After gluing my tail rotors six times they finally will no longer bond together. Luckily i already ordered my servos and the ducted fan system and it should arrive soon. I plan on posting pics of my heli once i get the fan and servos installed. In the mean time i like to hover the heli while holding onto the tail boom with my hand. Doing this has taught me a great deal of the mechanics of heli flight. I am still extremely happy with my #4 and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn how to fly on a budget.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 AM
batfalcon

ORIGINAL: stinknugget

After gluing my tail rotors six times they finally will no longer bond together. Luckily i already ordered my servos and the ducted fan system and it should arrive soon. I plan on posting pics of my heli once i get the fan and servos installed. In the mean time i like to hover the heli while holding onto the tail boom with my hand. Doing this has taught me a great deal of the mechanics of heli flight. I am still extremely happy with my #4 and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn how to fly on a budget.
One of the most useful sites you can rely on is [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html]http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html[/link].

I studied my lesson right from the start and found out that it sure gives A LOT of info to avoid crashes AND expences.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Arghhhh!!!! fried my electronics yesterday! after so much plugging-unplugging the battery, the plastic connector started to get softer and it accepted the male plug reversed... (I didn´t paid the required attention) the white wires for both polarities in the helicopter didn´t helped
much either... so be careful guys, to not make the same stupid mistake!

BR, Enrique

Old 06-24-2005, 10:25 AM
stinknugget

Will have to watch out for that in the near future. Ordered my edf-40 and my cf ducted fan mount and some gws naro servos. should be here sometime next year. (at least thats how long it feels like). My stock replacement tail rotors came today so at least im practicing till they break. If i can hold on to them till wed i think ill be good. Next mod: learn to fly. then get some cf blades and paddels and do something with my canopy. AFter all is said and done with the #4 im buying a trex.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:02 AM
chench

Just got a new reciever combo board for my dragonfly; it came with a 72 MHz crystal so I changed it for the 32 MHz one in my old reciever, but it gives absolutely no response to the transmitter; does anyone know why this might be?
Cheers,
Chench

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.