Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

160DZ Regulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160DZ Regulator Question

Hi Troy! I have a YS160 that was installed in an Extreme Composite Astral XX. After about 5 boxes of Coolpwer 30%, the bearings went bad. I sent the engine over to YS Japan to be serviced. I got it back from Mr. Yamada personally when I was over there for the CAOCC. He confirmed that the bearings were indeed replace plus a few other parts that he could no longer recall. I have not used the engine yet but am about to install in in a new Astral XX. What surprises me is that the regulator screw is now closed about 1 1/2 - 2 turns from flush with the housing meaning it has been richened. I dont want to question Mr. Yamada's setting but I go wanted to ask you if you have ever come across a YS160 with the regulator screw set this much closed. I have run and tuned/maitained 6 of these jewels but have never come across one whose regulator has been closed this much. Any thoughts? Should I run it as is or should I reset it back to flush and tune from there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jayjay
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 160DZ Regulator Question

Jayjay,

Its not uncommon to have the reg screw inside of flush....meaning richer than the flush with the housing setting.

I have a 160 that is that way. Its probably not 2 turns but 1 to 1.5. It really all depends on the spring. If Yamada rebuilt the engine and ran it its possible that it could be set. Or He could have just put it back together and not run it.

I would say you are OK to run it as is or set it back and run it Flush. You will know right away if it needs adjustment. If you know this engine well then I personally would set it back.

So many things will cause changes to this pump setting. The fuel used, the prop can even have a little affect. You local elevation, and temperature. Just a host of things that can cause it to be different. I always start my engines at the Troy's preferred settings. I keep good notes on my engines and mark them so I can tell which one I have in my hand. Pump settings and HS needle setting will be all over the place from engine to engine. swapping the pump from one engine to another will also cause a change in setting. Usually I don't have to tweak more than about 1/2 turn either way.

Since you have setup more of these engines you have experience with the pump being too lean and too rich....you know what that acts like and can make the adjustments needed. Its not a big deal.

By the way I have an Oxai Astral XXc and its a awesome flying model. Have not flown a Xtreme version, I know the Oxai version is closer to the Naruke XX plus. The changes in the 3 versions are all subtle, but I hope to fly a Naruke version this week. Bill Cunningham has a pair of them and he is coming to Phoenix AZ for a competition next weekend. I love the way the Astral XX rolls. Its a very good model indeed. I have my 170DZ in it at the moment and its a great combo. 4536g (9.97lbs without fuel)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94659.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	624958  
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 AM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Xtreme Astral XX flies very well and I am very happy with it. Having the settings of the top Japanese pilots made setting it up a lot easier. I have not flown the Oxai Astral XXc yet but will get a chance to do so soon. Two of my friends bought an Oxai Astral XXc and an Oxai Zeque which I will be setting up, test flying and trimming for them. The planes are already here but I dont have time to work on them yet since we are busy preparing for the Hirobo Cup Asia which our club is hosting this April 13-15. Between that and my job/businesses, I simply will not have the time till late April. I am really looking forward to flying them. By the way, how does the YS170 compare to the 160? In what way is the powerband different? I heard it has better mid-range torque. I have one coming soon and am looking forward to using it although I absolutely love the 160. I find that it has more than enough power to deal with any wind condition and is the best engine I have ever used.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

170 has a little more low end torque. As with all of Yamada's changes. A little more power here, a little smoother there.

They are always playing with things to make the best engines, with the best power, lightest weight and so on.

The reality is the 170 will likely replace the 160 but they are 99% the same engine. They bored it out to give more displacement. As a result some parts like the piston-ring-sleeve, case, head had to be changed all to fit the larger bore. Its not a case that the 160DZ is obsolete its just that the newer better power setup for the future is the 170. I know I will still use them interchangebly. The difference is just not that much. I have several 160's and don't see changing them out just to go to 170's. They really work the same. I run the same props, same fuel and they pull the same in how I'm flying the models.

The principles and ideas are the same since the 140DZ.

Larger displacement means you can get more power lower in the throttle band. This is where the 160 and 170 shine. They are brutes at pulling the models down in the low power curve of 25% to 66% throttle.

Troy