Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Have not had my XS out for a while, May need to give her a run.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

To each his own. Like I said, my son and I had tons of fun with our Pede 2WDs so this 4WD shouldn't dissapoint.
This XS was just too small for me.
The 4x4 pede is nothing like the 2wd as is it is based on the slash design, and I know how bad those trucks are. I had the 2wd pede as my first vehicle and it was fun I was looking forward to the 4x4 until I found out it was just a slash made to look like a pede.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM
redfisher1974

Just had a good run, Other then the real cold pavement making it hard to hook up.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 PM
hereticgod

Had the xs out for 3 packs in the dirt great fun.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM
nitro-rob

I had mine out for some jumps today.  The 2s battery is a lot better with the crappy stock tires when its cold.  Forget it on 3s.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

I keep popping out the front left axle.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM
nitro-rob

I watched a traxxas slash 2wd review from those guys.  They are definitely very biased towards Traxxas.  Their arguments in both videos makes me think they are insiders or something.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I watched a traxxas slash 2wd review from those guys. They are definitely very biased towards Traxxas. Their arguments in both videos makes me think they are insiders or something.
Yeh, it's a conspiracy
Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM
nitro-rob

Their videos are pretty funny.  Most of the time when they review a traxxas product it has mods on it to cover the weak points and they brag about how great the truck was with a little work.  For all other manufacturers other than HPI they run it stock and say its okay or give it good marks for a very specific application. The savage XS is the only hpi review.  Enough time spent on them.  I like the ultimate RC guy better.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I had mine out for some jumps today. The 2s battery is a lot better with the crappy stock tires when its cold. Forget it on 3s.
Yeah I was drifting like mad on 3s.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Ptec

Guys, Iwas playing around today in the park with the wood chips. Doing some brody's and stuff. Then all the sudden one of my front wheels stopped spinning. The other front wheel started spinning really fast and Ipopped a tire because it ballooned so hard. Icant get my other front wheel to spin. Its locked in place. When Ilook at it the axle going to that wheel seems to be sitting lower then the other side. And the shock does not compress all the way. Ihavent tore it down yet what you think is wrong with it?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 AM
redfisher1974

You will find out, [&:]
Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What got me about the review was if you weigh up the good and the bad, I don't see how they can end up not liking it...

1) Steering servo...yeh, like there is an RTR in existence that has an appropriately specced steering servo...next!

2) Rocks get in hard to reach places...well, yeh, but where a rock can get in, it can also get out...sure it might be annoying, but it hardly makes or breaks an RC.

3) The tires...on the one hand they said that the tires wer bad, on the other they said they were traction rolling...er, which is it? Also, these are all purpose tires, they are not supposed to be outstanding on anything in particular, just hard wearing all surfaces...

4) Speed control...this is the big deal breaker and they played it down...wth?

On the plus side they said...

1) Fast as hell

2) Great fun

3) Cheap

4) Indestructible...

Oh, and they also had a non specific diff problem, which may or may not have been in their imaginations. Clearly traxxas anboys, so take the review for what it is with that in mind...

Jang at URC basically said similar things, that he had a bunch of non-specific problems with it, but it was fast and fun...so er, the only thing we're seeing for certain is that...

1) it is is normal RTR with everything that includes, such as a substandard servo and a dodgy ESC

2) It is very strong

3) It is competitively priced

4) It is very fast

Hm...[&:]
Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 AM
redfisher1974

I am happy with mine, May step up to a full size flux someday. Going to Cuba this week but the wife said noway to taking the XS[&:]
Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 AM
BiKESEAT

I bought one in the UK a couple of weeks ago, second run on 3s 5000mah 25c smoke from the ESC. Quick replacement from HPI, they said it was an updated version and so far it's fine - almost 3 packs with no smoke. Overheated once, but considering how it was been driven I was fine with that =) Let it cool down and off it went again ...

So it seems there are esc's out there that will handle 3s just fine.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

What got me about the review was if you weigh up the good and the bad, I don't see how they can end up not liking it...

1) Steering servo...yeh, like there is an RTR in existence that has an appropriately specced steering servo...next!

2) Rocks get in hard to reach places...well, yeh, but where a rock can get in, it can also get out...sure it might be annoying, but it hardly makes or breaks an RC.

3) The tires...on the one hand they said that the tires wer bad, on the other they said they were traction rolling...er, which is it? Also, these are all purpose tires, they are not supposed to be outstanding on anything in particular, just hard wearing all surfaces...

4) Speed control...this is the big deal breaker and they played it down...wth?

On the plus side they said...

1) Fast as hell

2) Great fun

3) Cheap

4) Indestructible...

Oh, and they also had a non specific diff problem, which may or may not have been in their imaginations. Clearly traxxas anboys, so take the review for what it is with that in mind...

Jang at URC basically said similar things, that he had a bunch of non-specific problems with it, but it was fast and fun...so er, the only thing we're seeing for certain is that...

1) it is is normal RTR with everything that includes, such as a substandard servo and a dodgy ESC

2) It is very strong

3) It is competitively priced

4) It is very fast

Hm...[&:]
ThunderbirdJunkie suspects that the only reason anybody doesn't like the XS is because they have a first-run model.

Two guys at the LHS were pondering what to get, ThunderbirdJunkie recommended the XS, and he also said "Dunno how it's gonna hold up on 3S, so don't go 3S. It's just stupid on 2S, there's no need for it anyway."

They both bought XS's and loved them. Come to find out they both ran 3S and smoked their ESC's.

Is the truck even drivable on 3S?

Anyway, apparently one of the trucks' rear diffs wasn't shimmed properly from the get-go, and it'd barely move under its own power. BTW, R&P are the same as the Bullet's.

Other guy had no issues...until he ran 3S.

Supposedly neither ESC smells fried, it just doesn't power up when you plug it in...which suggests to ThunderbirdJunkie that it has a weak BEC.

So he totally believes that it's an MMP now[&:]

Redfisher...the big Savage Flux is an awesome truck. ThunderbirdJunkie has driven several, and he needs to get off his duff and finish his electric 1/8 Savage (just need batteries...$250 for Orion 3S packs is the big hurdle[&:])
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Foxy

TBJ, I'm using these...sick packs dude, fit like a glove in the boxes, 40C, not expensive... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9962

CLARIFICATION FOR READERS: while I believe I could shoehorn one of these into the little Savage (the length isn't really 150, it's more like 147), I'm talking about using them in pairs in the FULL SIZE Flux.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Ehh, Foxy, ThunderbirdJunkie has had enough issues with HK batteries

Plus, the Orions have a snazzy CF-looking finish on the case and they're made to fit the fullsize Flux boxes[&:]
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 AM
redfisher1974

I have been running 3s only and have been ok, I do run mostly onroad and watch temps etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Ehh, Foxy, ThunderbirdJunkie has had enough issues with HK batteries

Plus, the Orions have a snazzy CF-looking finish on the case and they're made to fit the fullsize Flux boxes[&:]
Meh, I got 6 of em all flawless but hey, if you got money to burn...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 AM
hereticgod

I got a first run xs and love it my favorite little basher just behind the full sized flux. I put a mamba max in last night going to try 3s today and see what it's like. I was having some really bad cogging issues couldn't hammer it it would just chug with the stock esc.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Ptec

The cogging issue is ESCrelated Iam sure of that. After installing my mamba max Ihad something that jammed up the fan. ESCstarted to run hot. It took about a full pack to get it hot enough but the cogging started. Ifixed the fan on the MMP and havent seen cogging since.

My Dad's brand new Slash 4x4 that he bought around the same time Igot this truck. His ESC just went bad. So its not just HPIRTR's they all have things that can go wrong and Ithink this lil truck is still awsome.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Ptec

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Is it coming out on the hub side?Ithink this is what Ijust did.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Ptec

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Is it coming out on the hub side? I think this is what I just did.
Yes that is where mine is coming out at. I checked everything out and either the rubber spacer they had in there fell out or it melted.. LOL.. so I had a small piece of hard foam padding to fill the space. And so far it has done just fine..
Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Ptec

Icracked the little cup the front axle sits into. Looks like Iwill need a replacement. It is cracked and all mushroomed out. Does not spin free. Or maybe ill just make it a 3 wheel drive monster truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.