Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding rc18mt/T or mini desert truck

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Need help deciding rc18mt/T or mini desert truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Kenmtb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding rc18mt/T or mini desert truck

Hey-
I have been looking at some of the less expensive mini trucks like the HPI recon/Turnigy/Helion.
The look great but do not seem to be really durable plus there may be problems finding parts and upgrades.

My dream trucks are no longer around (vendetta&lst2) <- Waaaaaah . So I have narrowed the search to the Losi mini desert
and Associated RC18MT or RC18T. Both companies have a good source of parts and upgrades.

I would like to have a small "track" indoors and build a track outside. I have owned 10th scale for years but I like the minis.
Can someone please tell me about the pros and cons of the losi and associated trucks? The last mini I had was a mini baja. Cute
but not too hardcore.

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM
moezer

Default RE: Need help deciding rc18mt/T or mini desert truck

I havent owned any associate trucks or any thing they have made, but the RC18t is so old now and its kinda hard finding parts other then the net.

As for losi I really hate there product line, i dont look at there RCs as top notuch but to each there own, there crawlers are good tho.

I have bought a mini Lst2 and the thing was a nightmare, I wish i never bought it, but its fun as **** after i spent about $250 on top of what I paid for the thing and now its bullit proof.

But if u want something new and durable id go with the Mini Recon, I have one but i dont really like it that much but its still there.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: moezer

I havent owned any associate trucks or any thing they have made, but the RC18t is so old now and its kinda hard finding parts other then the net.

As for losi I really hate there product line, i dont look at there RCs as top notuch but to each there own, there crawlers are good tho.

I have bought a mini Lst2 and the thing was a nightmare, I wish i never bought it, but its fun as **** after i spent about $250 on top of what I paid for the thing and now its bullit proof.

But if u want something new and durable id go with the Mini Recon, I have one but i dont really like it that much but its still there.
weird my LHS carries all the parts to the RC18's
also don't the B, and T share the majority of parts?

as for the recon being durable............ I wish I could say it was from my experience
I've broken a shock tower, an arm, the little piece that holds the arms on that screws in under the bumper, shattered a rim, among other things in 2 runs... The main thing that is preventing me from telling people its a good RC is the cost of parts due to how HPI grouped them. Its like $25 a parts bag, and the parts bag IMO don't make any sense in how they are grouped. For what I broke on my 2nd run the cost would have been greater than buying another recon to repair it (seriously) till I found the megatech parts. BTW that isn't counting all the diff issues I've seen people posting about.

could get a megatech megapro from rchobbyexplosion,com (they also stock parts) those are $50 or so new its 95% the same parts as the recon, and seems to have a better motor mount (actually this is the main difference between the megapro, and recon)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RC18T. it is a great little truck. They can be made to run very fast and are very durable as far as 1/18's go. I have put mine throught the ringer and it keeps coming back for more. Losi make great stuff aside from what other people may say. Every losi I have owned has done what it was ment to do and more! I would take the 18t/mt over the losi though just because the mini t is 2wd while the rc18 is 4wd. On a vehical this size that can make a big difference with handling. I don't know what that guy was smoking when he said parts for the rc18 are hard to find? and then sayig to go with the mini recon? LOL! The mini recon is a descent truck from everyhting I have heard but it is still a new model so parts will be more difficult to find than the RC18. The RC18 and the Mini T both have tons of aftermarket parts support as well. IMO you can't go wrong with an RC18!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Kenmtb

I narrowed my choice to losi or associated. Do any owners have some pros
and cons about the desert truck vs the rc18MT
Thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
mrbonez

they are both nice trucks the losi is a little long and handles rather lazy in the front but its a 1/18th so no biggie the biggest con i see is the losi is 2wd and the associated is 4wd out of the 2 i personally liked the associated 18t best it handled better imo out of the box and is a bit faster as well . but then again the 2wd means only one diff to rebuild and i think the dt comes with lights for what its worth anyway hope that helps some
Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Kenmtb

Thanks
Looks like the Associated is a better deal. I wonder if you can convert it to 2WD for just running around on a track.
That would cut down on diff maintenance. One of the versions of the rc18t2 comes with a Reedy 5000kv brushless.
Is this a good motor or should I get the brushed version and upgrade later.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trust me as someone that mainly owns 4wd RC's 4wd converted to 2wd do not handle well at all, and you put additional stress on the diff, and axles.

If you want a 2wd IMO you will be way better off just getting a 2wd one instead of 4wd.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Kenmtb

Thanks, good advice.
Man this is hard. Now I see Losi is comming out with a 1/24th truggy.
That looks like a nice indoor runner.
I still think I may get the RC18T2 brushless. It looks like a solid truck