Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Xmods they are in the stores

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:54 AM
slugbugg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xmods they are in the stores

I bought an xmod (red supra)last night and it is not to bad for $50 and being a RS car.I also picked up two awd kits and the stage one motor kit.I wanted bearings but this RS didnt have them so I'll look around today for them.

My first impression was, pretty cool but a bit sloppy.

The steering knuckles and suspension in general is a bit sloppy but I guess thats better than binding up.
The front has limited suspension travel and only an upper a-arm.
The rear suspension is a swing axle type but has more travel than the front.
I'm hoping th bearing kit takes away some of the slop.
it is a bit noisy (gears) but it works smoothly and has decent control and the tires are sticky.
The cars components are packed tight.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Hobbysect
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Xmods they are in the stores

I know what you are saying the only thing I like about the x-mod is the modding that you can do to it. If and when I buy mine I will be getting the awd kit get some bigger tires and get or make a truck body. This will the be the only thing I would want it for. My goal is to make a Offroader with it. The preformance of it isn't too bad but I prefer my Mini-Z still. From messing around with the x-mod and then going back to my mini-z there is no comparison mini-z stomps all over it hands down but you are look at a big difference in price. $50 is a great price for it, but the bearing cost between $12 to $15. Thats a big price hike for some metal bearings. The only way I will get it is if it goes on sale. This is just my opinion but someone elses could be different.

Tony
Old 10-18-2003, 11:16 AM
slugbugg

I bought the two AWD kits mainly just to make a mini 4x4 and it looks very promising.

I dont have a mini-Z, I have almost bought an overland several times but just cant seem to do it.kyosho has left me hanging to many times with vehicles, they release one and it seems just as soon as you get it all set they discontinue it.If kyosho was to bring back the bajabugs I'd jump all over those in a heartbeat.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:57 PM
injectedsmile16

where can I find more info on the x-mod?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:18 PM
slugbugg

Xmods are an RS (radio shack) exclusive product.Go to the shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?MSCSProfile=745D84CBF04D14A48AA6FF9C8 9D722C0BA68C1B04FE384678A5285FCD6E056B17AF21627FDA BE316B90B3C038D68EBD6B7F9F3BD1712EAA9951ACB2590A05 C6517EFE46941FEFDD1985D4EFD6321F5E70B4DE9B6C1D4551 2A2E2690A6961FCE431BEF004BF029C30B1BE2E9D854412F7C BAE7C1E527DC52318C7AF58278A9911030CC13C90AD9824&cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F006%5F009%5F001%5F000&Page=1&find=xmods(keyword)

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...0CC13C90AD9824

http://www.xmodsrc.com/
Old 10-26-2003, 10:35 PM
caseyjholmes

gotta add my 2 cents..
I've been playing with my xmod for a day now.
The first impression right out of the box... I was pissed!
the car had the metal axle in the rear right plastic dogbone half and wouldn't let me tighten the rear wheel nut on!. I had to remove the rear dogbone within the first 5 minutes of opening the package, saw a groove though it into the metal rear axle shaft, and glue it with CA to get the axle to stay in place inside the plastic dogbone housing.

After about 4 tries, I finally got it to stay. If I was some little kid who couldn't fix it, I'd be mad, but I figured out a fix for the dogbone and re-assembled the car. I tried it out on my kitchen floor and found that it doesn't exactly turn as tight as a mini Z, or go as fast, but it had good traction, and it seems like a few mods would help alot. I dig the cars looks alot (Nissan Skyline) but it doesn't outperform the Mini-Z. I do like some of the cars design, like in the suspension and movable battery tuning positions, A arms and overall chassis looks.

I just bought the 4-wheel upgrade, suspension upgrade and the stage 2 motor upgrade. well see how this stuff does on the car. it will be nice to install the quicker turning steering rod, as the turn radius sucks stock. I'll post more when I try the new mods.
casey
Old 10-27-2003, 04:54 PM
injectedsmile16

Ok so I am guessing with all the comparisons to the Mini-Z that that the X-Mod is 1/18 scale. Or am I wrong? I went to the RS website and to the X-Mod site and it didnt say but from hearing yall talk about it I am guessing its 1/18. Also does anyone have any petter pictures or their X-Mod because I cant seem to find too many good detailed pictures...Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 PM
caseyjholmes

Ok, heres my pictures of my xmods skyline from radio shack.
I bought all the mods except the bearing kit and body kit.... and it still doesn't even go as fast as a Mini-Z!
the 4wd kit just makes the dang thing go slower, and doesn't even really help that much. You can make a stock Mini Z "burn rubber" but never an Xmods! get the picture =>

yes, they are 1/18 scale. They do look pretty dang cool, but if your looking for fast, these arent it. get a mini-Z... I know from experience
Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 PM
caseyjholmes

ahhhh, it's not letting me upload right now, I'll put the pictures up in a few...
Old 10-29-2003, 01:09 PM
rogotiz3

Yes they are in stores now, check out the new unofficial site dedicated to the new xmod! The potential is great due to it's marketing! So aftermarket parts will soon be abundant.

www.xmodrc.com

For the exclusive car go to
www.xmodrc.com/exclusive.html
Old 10-30-2003, 01:33 AM
injectedsmile16

I think I might get one just to play around. Is it worth the 50 bucks and the extra money for the upgrades?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Hobbysect

Ok guess what I bought one. It was on store display and broke. I bought it for only $5.00 with batteries. Thats right only $5.00 I brought it home and fixed it. One of the dog bones broke. Fixed it and time to start to modify. First experance of taking it apart was not to bad. I found out that the rear can be extended or shortend. Not bad bigger wheels can be put on the rear. Now the front is a different story. The wheels come in to close to the chassis as it stands. I have already tried a different motor. I used a 50,000 RPM Gold Champ 700mAh motor. It handles it great. Much much better but I had a 8 tooth pinion gear on it and it was noisy. So I took it back out for now. I tried to use a different controller. The Kyosho Prefex will not work with it. I exchanged the cristals and nothing.

Thanks
Tony
Old 11-10-2003, 12:35 PM
Se7en

hey I'm new here, but I just got an xmod and some upgrades. I never drove a Mini-z so I don't know how they compare but I can tell you this. I have a white supra xmod and I put the stage 2 motor in it and I did a 5th cell battery mod. It's definately too fast for indoors now. With 5 cells and stage 2 with the tallest gear ratio, I can still spin the tires effortlessly indoors. The 5th cell really added some extra punch. The only other upgrade I have so far is the tire kit. Soft and hard rubber tires in both slicks and tread. There is a guy selling what he is calling "Stage 10" motors on the internet. Check ebay. People are already experimenting with stacked FET's and the like. I predict that several months from now we are going to see a ton of non-shack mods for the xmods.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 PM
gamester55

Default RE: <span class=

I've been reading all of the posts about the xmods, so I thought I would go out and buy one this weekend, I went to several stores in the DFW area to find out they are already sold out, the same story at evvery store was someone had come in last week and brought all of them, I went online and ordered the Skyline, but some of the upgrades, like the suspension kits and wheel upgrades are already sold out. And whats the deal with the Blue Civic I cant even get that one online. Seems Radioshack cant handle the demand, and we are still 7 weeks from CMAS????
Old 11-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Hobbysect

I have done another mod. I have mounted an external turbo from my Mini-Z (both are 1/28 not 1/18th) Wow I dont have enough room to run it now. I need to get it out and on a freshly pave parking lot or road. Next I am adding ground effect light to it. Cant wait to post pictures for everyone to see. Some one has done this on another forum but they did a sloppy job of put the wires places.

Tony
Old 11-17-2003, 08:53 PM
ign0rantjerk

my friend just got an xmod and thought he could beat my z... the xmod just makes me laugh... however, i do like the body kits they come with... the all wheel drive thing sounds cool, but it makes go slower... =/.... might have to buy one so i can race w/ my friend so my friend doesnt spend $400+ to compete w/ my z...
Old 11-23-2003, 02:28 AM
FociD00d02

I'm on my 2nd Xmod. I currently own a white supra, and a silver RSX. the RSX is made for like a course race thing. my Supra is straight up straight-line. If anyone wants to know anything I'll be glad to answer it. My supra will go approx. 31 mph, and the RSX (since it has no "homemade mods" ) will only go about 21mph with all the mods from RS but stage 2 motors and bearings (this includes AWD which slows the car down a tad in straight line)

~~~~

'97 Supra
9v mod (useable for drag only .. it seems unstable)
7.2v mod (6 1.2v rechargeabel xmod batts for fun)
Old 11-23-2003, 05:44 AM
raceme

deym it goes that fast. if you say a miniz is way faster then an xmod, i juss might get one
Old 11-27-2003, 06:05 PM
gohon

hey new member im gohon i got a red supra it halle but when i first put it together then i put a
stage 2 moter in it and it wasent as fast so i put the old one in it and it was still slugish
anybody know how i go fast agean i lesf the heat sink on
Old 12-01-2003, 07:21 AM
gohon

[>:] well i fixed it and i also got a nisson skyline gtr v.specs i love it im gonna get another any suggestions??????
Old 12-01-2003, 02:22 PM
VisionAPunkArchy

Default RE: <span class=ALL

HI, I have An XMod Red Supra With all The mods You can get. I keep The all wheel drive off cuz as you all know it slows the thing down. Now i have added 2 extra cells one on each side. Not to Bad i say. I then thought what if i just take all the cells out and add one 9volt. Rechargeable 9volt that is. So i did so. I used the 9volt plug for the spare battery in my alarm clock as a quick plug in the car. I must say the 9volts dose give it that extra punch. Using a Stage 2 Road Race motor. That got old fast. So i put a Kyosho motor in her with the road race gears. I must say. This ****er keeps up with the mini-z's just fine. In fact sometimes blowing the lower end drivers out the water. I'm still trying to find the perfect matched motor thats not made by kyosho to run in this car. //Now. Y Am i posting this you might ask. Cuz , my goal is to make my XMod more powerful and reach much greater speeds then the Mini-z. As of not this project is just in the making. I plan on having this project done no later then this time next year. Hopefully pulling in and drawling as much followers as i can. That is people as set on taking a cheaper car and making it greater then one of the finest. Look out Kyosho Cuz Shack-Suicide is heading your way and fast.
To Join E-mail me and Let me know some info on you and your car and i will Send you Stickers for your XMOD That sponsor and look great. Hopefully bye this time next year There Will be a teams united from place to place in desperate want to taste Kyosho Blood.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 PM
gohon

hey waz up i waned to know what other xmod should i get that has the most parts out
Old 12-03-2003, 06:40 PM
VisionAPunkArchy

You should Get A White Supra And Get or make Black body kit for it. Looks Hot. You should alsow grab some ballbarings and the stage two moters.... Just to get a start. Then get two sets of lights , the first your average Xmod light. The 2nd get some color lights they make for miniZ's ... depending on body kit you put on you might have to add little holes for the 2nd set. Anyhow it will look great. Then Get some clear decal papper from a craft shop. Paint your own stickers and stick um to the basterd. Your car will Rock. Now if you realy want some more pwer... Go to Http://www.speedmart.com or http://www.hobbyect.com if your local hobby store dont have things like what your looking for. Most every MiniZ upgrade will work or fit on your XMod. But hey.... Try to get things not made bye kyosho... That way you can realy Kick a MiniZ in the ass when you fly past In your Decked out XMod. ;-) ... Oh , if you realy want to look good. Take a little clear pice of that cool shink tube. You know that stuff you heat up and it srinks to the shape and size of the wire your covering. Now you cut it to the size of your side skerts and front/back bumpers. Now you take the second set of lights. The color ones... And you put one light in each tube slowly rotate over steam till you have the light fit snug. Presto !!!! you Just made a Neto Set of Neons to drop under your StreetX MOD
Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Panzer84x

I know how to make your Xmod front wheel drive if anyone is interested"Life is a street race, you have to live it a quarter-mile at a time.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Panzer84x

Will Mini Z bodies fit on an Xmod?
"Life is a street race, you have to live it a quarter-mile at a time"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.