Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

My 18T needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:36 PM
CleofisRandolph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 18T needs help

Thanks to all the cool threads on this mini i decided to pick one up. I'm very happy with the truck out of the box but i noticed something strange...its smoking fast in reverse and not as fast going forward. Whats up with that? I reset the speed controller several times and nothing seems to fix the problem. Its funny, in reverse the thing is uncontrollable, and forward it just burns out a little. I also checked the diffs to make sure they were set properly and everything is good there. One last thing, i picked up a Trinity Micro Monster motor...is that worth putting in? or should i just throw it in the box for a spare?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Ahab

Default RE: My 18T needs help

I am not familiar with the electronics on the 18t.

but all I can think of is that you have the motor wired backwards or your throttle/break channel is swapped on your Tx(but i would expect that to just plain not work, rather than exhibit the symptoms you describe)

A
Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 PM
CleofisRandolph

yeah i checked those two both....neither. Im baffled by this one
Old 01-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Ahab

let me get this straight.
you squeeze the trigger - and the car goes slow-ish backwards - if you push the trigger the car shoots off forwards?

so if you have tried the Tx reverse switch, and have ensured the motor is the right way round, it must be that the signal is getting swapped between the reciever and the ESC....

is there a connection between the reciever and the ESC that could be in backwards? - they usualy have lugs that stop them going in the wrong way, but like I said, I dont know the 18T electronics.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:09 PM
CleofisRandolph

haha, no. If i pull the trigger it goes forward. However, its not very fast (its not slow per say.) If push the throttle forward (normal reverse motion) it burns out insanely in reverse. The throttle positioning and motion is normal. All the wiring in correct. It just has waaaaay more power in reverse than forward
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Ahab

<scratches head>

its not uncommon for the reverse to be less agressive than forwards. So it sounds like your truck has reverse and forwards swapped somewhere and that the motor is also swapped to make the truck go in the right direction.

I think I am stumped too.

does left/right work the way you expect them to?

I think I would try unplugging everything, and then plugging it all back in......
Old 01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
CleofisRandolph

yeah, everything else is working fine. Thats what i dont get. I talked to my friend who purchased an 18t the same day as i did and he said his does the same thing. Maybe thats the way its supposed to be? But why they would want it to be faster in reverse than forward i dont know. Im lost
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Ahab

I have never tried this, but I think i would want to try swapping the ESC round. - I might be way off. but it sounds to me like if you swapped the wires between the esc and the motor round, and the wires between the Rx and the ESC, then you should get the fastness in forwards....

that or learn to drive backwards....
Old 01-31-2005, 09:50 PM
CleofisRandolph

hahah. The more i fool with this thing. I think its just a matter of poor electronics. It seems like there is no range of power in reverse. There is just so much more torque. In forwards there is a smooth range when i hit the throttle. I wonder if i should just pick up an xrs? or something other than the xps
Old 01-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Ahab

if you get a smooth throttle curve in forewards (and the car goes forwards with a smooth acceleration) and in reverse you get a slight pause then all the power in one lump then that may well be how it is supposed to work..... I have the same thing with my Mtronics ESC - I get smooth forwards acceleration, but if I push it into reverse you get a slight pause (as the ESC goes through a brake cycle) then it gives a lump of power in reverse.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
CleofisRandolph

i want a lump of power forwards, haha. I know someone around here is bound to say put a mamba in. I dont want all that though. Any good motor recommendations?