Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

dirt track layout

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:21 AM
rockynz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt track layout

Hi all. I'm new to RC cars having just got a second hand Mini-t and awaiting the arrival of a brand new LST! Anyhow I'm hooked and now I want my own track. I have a very small area of land to work with on my section but as I'll only be running 1 1/8 electric on it this may not be a problem. Can't see my neighbors being into me running a nitro truck at all[&o] I'd like to hear from anyone who would have any opinions as to what the track should look like. I have seen a few videos on sites such as this and have a few ideas but have no experience of driving on a track yet. Here are some photo's of what I have to work with!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	238306  
Old 03-05-2005, 06:23 AM
rockynz

Default RE: dirt track layout

Heres pic no. 2

Name:	Ig12369.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	238307  
Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Richie-EB4

Looks very good.........and welcome to RCU

One of the best ways to start with a track is cut back all the grass etc as short as you can...........then use your garden hose pipe to lay out the track design to see if it works and is driveable...........then take what action you want..........ie remove the grass for a mud track etc..........the choice is yours.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM
PillowPants

ya i just did the same thing...except the fact that the land kinda belongs to the government...oops. just keep it simple at first like double-double, launch, tabletop, kicker, woops. and it looks like ya got a lot of grass/weeds there. definately get rid of those. be sure to level the ground pretty well and use a rake. also, be sure to fill in any pot holes. another tip that i found works is if when you are building a ramp, go up and down with a bike on all the sides and especially the launch then pack it really well. one of the most important parts of a ramp for an RC car is the lip so be sure to shape it well. good luck, post pics when you finish.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:30 PM
rockynz

Cool thanks, I like the hose idea, and watching a video clip last night I saw 4" black PVC drainage tubing used! I think this stuff is available in smaller diameters and comes in 30 meter lengths. I'll have to look into cost but it would look great and its my favorite colour too!! Then all I'd have to do is nuke the whole area with weedkiller, lay out the pipe and start making jumps and burms. This is where I could use some technical help as I'm not too sure what exactly makes a good jump? Something along the lines of a Moto-X stadium track is what I had in mind. Lots of air time but with at least one long straight to show off the speed of my latest purchase, a 6800 mamba package! Anyhow its raining here at present so won't get started today........................later

Oh by the way I've been around the RCU forums awhile now thanks Richie! Had a lot of fun and saved heaps of time and cash too!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:11 AM
djeurofoeva

heres mine

... can i come over?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Richie-EB4

Looks good........dont think the wife would let me dig the rear garden up
Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 AM
rockynz

Yeh man, thats sort of like what I thinking of! Looks like you have plenty of jumps and banked turns in the area available to you. Can't wait to get started on my section. Went to local garden center this afternoon and got me some weedkiller, just have to wait untill its not too windy as I don't want to kill everything in the garden!! Got a long weekend coming up soon for Easter so should get a good bit done then. I'll keep you posted as I progress!!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:34 PM
djeurofoeva

yeah i got brick laid out to heres some better pics this track is great its perfect for me lots of speed fast wide turns and smooth jumps

And you can race in oval or take the turns what ever you feel like
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Matt G

That is SWEET! My wife and I are expecting a son in june, think she would believe it was for the kid?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 PM
djeurofoeva

prolly mu gf belived it was for my little cuz and thought it was the nicest thing of me to do hahaha, i love how slow blonds are lol
Old 03-08-2005, 01:25 AM
rockynz

Way cool track man! I've sort of settled on a different approach to my track now. Wish I could draw good then I would sketch it up and post it. Thinking of a large oval shape (big end connected by the longest straights I can possibly make to a little end). Then I'm going to remove the topsoil and grass, flatten the whole area and bank up the circumferance. For the jumps I was going to try timber frames covered with old conveyer belting! What do you think?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:33 PM
CapUSA

ORIGINAL: djeurofoeva
i love how slow blonds are lol
I RESENT THAT! lol.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:13 AM
sik_tamiya
Banned

that trak is bad that one is sik good job bro thats what me na dmy buddy r gonna do but he has like 10 aceres we can use so its gonna be big trak for mini-t's

Name:	Fc90128.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	240869  
Old 03-09-2005, 05:11 AM
rockynz

Thats gunna be one hell of a long walk if you roll your truck on the far side of the track eh?