Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Silicone O-rings for RC18T Factory Team Shocks

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Silicone O-rings for RC18T Factory Team Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:52 AM
dynomike
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicone O-rings for RC18T Factory Team Shocks

I'm building a factory team RC18, and noticed that the standard rubber o-rings that come with the shocks create quite a bit of friction/drag on the shock shaft. Even after exercising the shock for a while, they don't seem to free up much...

Does anybody know where to get silicone o-rings that will fit these shocks? They are 4mm OD, 2mm ID, and 1mm thick.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
thumpin347
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Silicone O-rings for RC18T Factory Team Shocks

ORIGINAL: dynomike

I'm building a factory team RC18, and noticed that the standard rubber o-rings that come with the shocks create quite a bit of friction/drag on the shock shaft. Even after exercising the shock for a while, they don't seem to free up much...

Does anybody know where to get silicone o-rings that will fit these shocks? They are 4mm OD, 2mm ID, and 1mm thick.

Thanks,

Mike
actually the friction comes from the binding of the titanium turnbuckles. alot of guys cut a couple threads off to free up the suspension movement. i just turn them in 2 more turns than the manual suggests. also, tighten up the coil of the spring with the thread...that'll get the rebound of the shock back to its original position of full travel.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
dynomike
My Feedback: (61)

Thanks for these tips, but the shock has quite a bit of friction in the seals, even when not installed on the truck and without the spring installed (just working it back and forth you can feel the heavy friction drag - not just the damping drag which is speed-sensitive).

Mike
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM
thumpin347
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dynomike

Thanks for these tips, but the shock has quite a bit of friction in the seals, even when not installed on the truck and without the spring installed (just working it back and forth you can feel the heavy friction drag - not just the damping drag which is speed-sensitive).

Mike
i've noticed the drag too...but i dont know what kind of shocks you are comparing these to. they oil filled shocks so they wont have the more "free" movement of mini t shocks. i'm sure you lubed the o-rings too before assembling the shocks...wish i had more troubleshooting answers for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 AM
gerwen

Did you try some green slime on them? I put green slime on the o-rings and shafts and mine are pretty free.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I'm building a FT-18T for my LHS and I'm noticing the same drag. I think I'm going to rebuild them and use Green Slime instead of oil. One thing I noticed is that the tierods are just a bit too long. When you thread the camber links, they start deforming the ballcup and making it tight, just as mentioned earlier in this thread.