Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Brushless...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 PM
APEXdriver89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless...

hey guys i no this is rly newb and all but what is brushless?...its sounds so awesome and what do u have to do to get brushless and what r the pro's and con's of brushless thx alot guys...plz dont flame too bad
Old 12-16-2005, 05:51 PM
petembx5

Default RE: Brushless...

more power than a brushed motor. more power more speed equals more things breaking
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
homerboi
My Feedback: (3)

true.
But that's why one needs to beef up the drivetrain parts when there's a need for more speed - regardless of whether its brushed or brushless.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: APEXdriver89
hey guys i no this is rly newb and all but what is brushless?...its sounds so awesome and what do u have to do to get brushless and what r the pro's and con's of brushless thx alot guys...plz dont flame too bad
Brushless motor
Brushless speed control
Connectors, i.e. Deans Ultra Plug

Perhaps, also:
Receiver and/or Transmitter,
Pinion gear,
Motor mount, and
Motor heat sink.

Pros
Faster

Cons
Can you control it?
Can the RC handle it?
--> More parts!
--> More $$$
Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 PM
marzac2

Brushless motors came about because people wanted a more efficient and maintenance free motor.

Brushed motor technology is good but needed improvement. The problem is that the electric current has to pass through a fixed position "brush" to a spinning commutator, which is the electrical contact point for the brushes. This makes friction and wear. Users of brushed motors have to constantly clean and replace brushes along with other maintenance.

Than along came brushless. The electrical solution was to reverse the position of the spinning electrical wiring and fixed magnets in the can. By putting the magnets on the spinning shaft and the wiring fixed inside the can on the motor, it eliminated the need for brushes all together. Electrical current no longer has to pass through a friction point. This means no wearing parts except for the bearings of the motor. But with less debree being shot all over from the brushes wearing down and no holes for commutator/brush cooling, the result is that the bearings are more protected in a brushless motor and wear out less often.

So now you can decide which is better suited for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 PM
APEXdriver89

wow thx marzac...that rly did help...i think im gonna go with brushless....any brushless ideas for the following cars: electric rustler, electric stampede, electric mini madness thx guys
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 PM
MaximuM*AltitudE

Brushless motors can achieve a much higher RPM than brushed. As Marzac said, the magnets are rotating, and the wiring is in the can. Brushed motors will literally unwind and blow apart at too high of an RPM.

Now the brushless tends to have less starting torque, almost like a turbo lag. It won't just take off insantly, it takes a little delay to get the motor wrapped up, and then it's off like a rocket, whereas brushed will instantly take off. The difference in take off speed is hardly worth complaining about, the brushless gets off the line just fine, and continues to spool out longer if geared right.

They're a kick, all my micros run brushless and they fly!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Capgun_Slim

When you were asking about pros and cons, the only real con in my opinion, is price. I run brushless in my R/C planes, and my 18t, and soon to be my MLST.

Any of the minis will do well with the smaller AON brushless, or a Mamba, or Hyperion YC series. As for the 1/10 scale Stampede, I'd like to see one of those new Novak GTB brushless motors in one. I think that would ROCK! Maybe someone out here has done this already. But be prepared for a serious hit in the wallet. Motor/ESC combo $239.00