Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
 Duratrax Vendetta vs. Team Associated 18B vs Mini Inferno >

Duratrax Vendetta vs. Team Associated 18B vs Mini Inferno

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Duratrax Vendetta vs. Team Associated 18B vs Mini Inferno

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax Vendetta vs. Team Associated 18B vs Mini Inferno

Pics of my Vendetta, runs on 1/8th scale dirt track, so its dirty.

http://www.binaryterror.com/binaryterror/vendetta
Old 12-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's dirty? Not in my book.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

THe buggy looks pretty nice =o) I almost got one of them, but i heard that the alloy in the aluminum parts was cheap and there won't be many hop-ups for it. Was worried about the durability of it too. It has to be much lighter than the KMI therefore would go faster with some mamba power =o) if the drive train can handle it
Old 12-22-2005, 01:58 PM

It's not super dirty...but just a wanring, some people only run these little RC's on carpet..what a waste!

I've had none of the Aluminum bend, and likely the people who think it's weak don't even personally own one. There are tons of Hop Ups as well, carbon fiber, more aluminum, tires, sway bars...and the normal stuff. We'll see if the after market picks up on it as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: paper_boy

You have a point there, the 18B is really small. So do you have any suggestions on what to buy first if I was to get a Mini Inferno? Do you agree with me the mini inferno is a better car in the end after hop ups?
If you buy the Mini inferno, buy aluminum shock towers, bearings, a 8 cell battery, an AON 4900 motor with a Mamba 25 esc, and a radio.

That's all you will need

Ohhh yes, stupid me. Oil filled shocks are a must on this car.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Binaryterror, my cars look that "dirty" normal. I don't know about you, but that's pretty clean
Old 12-22-2005, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac
If you buy the Mini inferno, buy aluminum shock towers, bearings, a 8 cell battery, an AON 4900 motor with a Mamba 25 esc, and a radio.

That's all you will need
Don't forget oil shocks!...and thats all? Come on some of that should be included, like the Bearings...decentstandard ESC/RX/servo set up.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:09 PM

Myself, I'd rather purchase a kit so I can install my own electronics. If I have to purchase a RTR, then I would rather have it come with cheap electronics anyway since I will end up replacing them--I just ordered three more new Nomadio Sensor receivers last night. The same could be said of cheap shocks and bearings--ever price out Boca Bearings ceramics? And if you go brushless and use lipos, it doesn't really matter since that will be an additional cost to any RTR RC Car stock out of the box. Quite frankly, I'm still waiting for a local to install the same type of brushless set up I have in my KMI and run it on the same 1/8th scale off-road track simply so I can see how well it holds up. And don't get me wrong, I'd like to hope it will handle a brushless motor better than my MLST and at least somewhat close to my KMI though I still have my doubts, especially after seeing one broken after apparently being run in a motel room. The former owner definitely didn't want to keep it or exchange it for another when he returned it to HTU. Either way, good luck with your Vendetta. At $130, I though about purchasing one but I preferred to order the extra transceivers and I ordered some more Airtronics servos as well. Soon the 777 Full Size will be hitting the track along with the Mugen--all of which have center diffs. Shouldn't the Vendetta have that as well?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:20 PM

The Vendetta is the winner in my opinion. It comes with parts which is hop ups for the Mini Inferno and the 18B is too small! So as soon as I make it to my local hobby shop I am picking one up. Anybody have any suggestions for battery etc I should I get for it?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:34 PM

I run an 11.1v 3-cell lipo in my mini-buggy, but that suggestion is probably not a good one for a stock mini-buggy.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM

For the Vendetta you need a 6 cell stick pack, basically anything that fits in a Mini-Quake.

I run a custom IB1200 pack from www.cheapbatterypacks.com I alslo upgraded to using 15awg wire throughout and deans full size connectors, for obvious reasons.

I'd run Lipo, but the cost and then the lower weight will effect what I think is pretty amazing handling.

The Diffs and drivetrain of the Vendetta are beefy...though the plastic CVD's might not be up to it...As it is now, no one at the track has a chance against the Vendetta, either the overpowered Mamba RC18T's or the stock mLST's, but there is a KMI coming...though I'm honestly not the least bit worried.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 PM

I'd be a little worried =o) I'd bring my KMI over but i'm a little far from Michigan =o) Ok... i'm bluffing.. I have a broken front shock tower at the moment i went full speed down a sidewalk and hit some 1/1 scale cars muffler that was just sticking out. (car is fine) Got carbon fiber on the way.... don't want the extra weight of the aluminum towers. i love upgrading!! i think i drive most of the time just so I can clean and work on my stuff!! too bad i have to mail order everything. I wish I could try the Vendetta out... afraid I blew my RC funds on pre-orderng the new Xray NT18.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 PM

I made my own carbon fiber front shock tower since there were none out yet when I broke mine doing one two many 1 1/2s instead of 1s. [] Eventually, I replaced it "for show" with a matching pair of Kyosho shock towers. However, I can always put my original cf tower on my spare KMI. Keep us informed as to how the nitro Xray runs on the other thread after you run it.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:28 AM

I don't know about you paperboy, but I'd rather have those cheap parts on the car, because I can upgrade them with whatever I want to, and I'm not paying extra for something I might not want.

For example: Most cars come with bearings. That adds another 5-10 dollars on the total price of the car. sometimes even more. And those are usually the cheapest, crappiest bearings the company can buy to put on the car. People are like,"well it has bearings, so why upgrade now?"
On the KMI, you don't pay for those trashy bearings, and can chose whatever bearings you want for it. Whether Avid or Boca bearings. And you don't pay for it. Same for the batteries. In the Vendetta, you have to pay extra money for that trashy 600mah battery, and the stupid charger. On the KMI, you get to purchase your own Stuff.

Essentially, the KMI is really a "kit". It just needs to be upgraded a bit before you can have it going fast. And I like not having to pay for all the crummy stuff the companies stick in their cars. Like those trashy little metal shielded bearings.
At least Traxxas put some rubber shielded bearings on the REVO.

Just my 2 cents on the issue of the KMI
Old 12-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Wow, did you know Rubber sheilded bearings increase drag? Sure they are nice to keep dirt out, but at a loss. Small cars in my opinion NEED metal sheilded with a good owner who cleans and oils them frequently.

Also stock bearings are fine on my Vendetta, not loose or gritty.

Vendetta wins hands down to the guy who wants to play around, simple as that. Possibly might win in a race, equally hopped up, though the KMI has the leg up being that has been out longer.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM

And all I want to do is play around....I am only 13!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: binaryterror
Vendetta wins hands down to the guy who wants to play around, simple as that. Possibly might win in a race, equally hopped up, though the KMI has the leg up being that has been out longer.
The KMI also has a leg up being designed by a company that produces high quality 1/8th scale buggy kits and actually designed a true 1/2 scale or 1/16th scale mini-buggy, not to mention the center diff that the KMI also has which the other current mini-buggies do not have and apparently have NO option of installing. The downside is that non-racers tend to be cheap and don't make up most of the market. Consequently, other companies producing cheaper products and/or less expensive products attract the basher market which is probably composed of a lot more members than the racer market. Quite frankly, it appears that Kyosho anticipated KMI owners trashing the stock electronics since they included different servo mounts for different brands. And in my opinion since Kyosho products do tend to be of better quality than the Duratrax products I've seen or own, Kyosho probably didn't want to add all their brand Kyosho option parts since the average basher wouldn't have purchased the "optioned" KMI anyway since it would have been out of his price range or at least more than what he wanted to spend in the beginning. I've seen the same thing happen with 1/8th scale buggies--someone will start out cheap, keep trying to upgrade, then sell it, and purchase a different buggy later. The difference being that 1/8th scale buggies are more expensive from the start than a mini--some 1/8th scale kits are more than 1/8th RTRs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the RTR is better because it runs out of the box.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Kyosho also technically lost the worlds Buggy race to an Ofna Hyper 7 (though the driver was found to have a .1cc illegal tank, still in heavy debate). Saying Kyosho and it's high priced kits and "knowledge" can not always beat a much lower priced Ofna kit.

I wish I could race Tigger...we just all bicker back and forth about the racing issue.

I think that both are great in their own rights.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 PM

If that RC had an illegal tank, it was illegal and should NOT be allowed a win. Simple as that. Of course, you know as well as I know it is also about driving when it comes to racing though better equipment helps--then again, so does a larger full tank especially when someone else has to pit for fuel. Either way, Kyosho/Mugen/Ofna-Jammin' probably all have center diffs and that list doesn't even include Duratrax. One more question then: How many World Championships does Kyosho have compared to Ofna or even Duratrax?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Yeah, if the tank is any bigger than the legal 125 cc tank, is obviously has an advantage over the other buggies, because that little bit of fuel can make the few seconds difference on each lap, so that the Ofna gets to drive a lap or so more, before it has to pit, while the other cars have to pit. [:@]

Illegal is illegal, and therefore the Ofna Hyper 7 didn't win anything
Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 PM

LOL has a Duratrax anything ever won... well ANYTHING??? LOL i'm just kidding.. I had a nitro evader st and it was very fun in its own right.

I'm sort of curious why Kyosho didn't just make the inferno a straight up KIT.. It makes perfect sense what MAYHEM said about why they put crappy electronics in the inferno cuz people would just scrap them anyhow. In comparisons with the others... The KMI is a RACER, without a center diff and the smaller size, I just can't see the Vendetta competing with it at all in the hands of two equal drivers (while both hopped up of course). Why can't KYOSHO make mini KITS?? or ARR's ?? They are a giant name people trust! XRAY does it just fine! Its almost a joke to make it sooooo lousy as an RTR, waste of time really
Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Schmernst

LOL has a Duratrax anything ever won... well ANYTHING??? LOL i'm just kidding.. I had a nitro evader st and it was very fun in its own right.

I'm sort of curious why Kyosho didn't just make the inferno a straight up KIT.. It makes perfect sense what MAYHEM said about why they put crappy electronics in the inferno cuz people would just scrap them anyhow. In comparisons with the others... The KMI is a RACER, without a center diff and the smaller size, I just can't see the Vendetta competing with it at all in the hands of two equal drivers (while both hopped up of course). Why can't KYOSHO make mini KITS?? or ARR's ?? They are a giant name people trust! XRAY does it just fine! Its almost a joke to make it sooooo lousy as an RTR, waste of time really

Exactly schmert. I mean, you'd think that Kyosho(Big K) would make a kit right after the RTR. But so far, no sign of a Kit. At least the ST will have better diffs, and oil shocks
Old 12-23-2005, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac
Exactly schmert. I mean, you'd think that Kyosho(Big K) would make a kit right after the RTR. But so far, no sign of a Kit. At least the ST will have better diffs, and oil shocks
Perhaps--Three consumer levels. The first one being the simple beginner or someone who doesn't have a lot of room to go fast (remember Japan is a very small country when compared to the US)--slap batteries in it and run it. The next level--one who is willing to upgrade, but is reluctant and doesn't want to spend a lot out of the box. And third, the racer who really doesn't care since he is going to trash the electronics and spend the money on the buggy whether or not it is a kit since he sees the potential.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 PM

From a marketing point of view though... look at all of us suckers who bought it anyways regardless of what it came with because we saw the potential. I think all these companies know that us crazy folk will buy it anyways if it says "Mini Inferno" even if the thing is powered by a mouse running a wheel.. at least then TNB can feed it to one of his cats when he upgrades The KMI is great tho once you go through the steps to make it great.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 AM

Hey folks. I am a new user to the board and i have been racing RC since the beginning of the summer and now an addict.

I recently bought a DT Vendetta and I'm very happy with it. Ive raced it a couple of times at a local indoor off road (dirt) track and it handles like a dream.

The only thing that really needs upgrading are the Batt's the 600mah pack it comes with just doesn't cut the mustard. Throw a pack of matched Trinity 1100's in it and you have a very competitive racer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.