Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Deans mini connectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
brushless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deans mini connectors

Does anyone see a problem using the Deans mini connectors instead of the regular sized connectors? I would be using them in my Mini-LST with the Hyperion 6000 and the Mamba 25 controller. I was just wondering if the mini connectors would allow enough current to flow through them.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM
captanabolic

Default RE: Deans mini connectors

Matt,
Personally I think those are two small for this type of application. I would stick with the regular sized DEANS. Those are more for the 180 sized motors.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Since guys were having problems with the stock wiring/connectors getting hot and smoking/catching on fire in stock Mini LSTs, I would say standard Deans are MANDATORY for even a stock Mini LST at this point.

I would also recommend no smaller then 16ga motor and ESC/battery wire.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
brushless

OK, but the dang things are so hard to pull apart, my wires come disconnected from the larger connectors sometimes.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Just need to take your time and get a good solder joint. I haven't had a single problem. They are a pain sometimes until they break in. Make sure you only pull the connector apart with the connector itself, don't pull on the wires.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
brushless

I was thinking of using a cable tie around each end of the connectors to pull them apart, but I'm not sure if they would go into each other enough to prevent them from coming apart by themselves.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
drksyd

You could use the mini Deans if you wanted to, they will handle both a stock setup and brushless setup. The stock connectors are not the same quality and material of the Deans. I'm quite sure you won't be pulling more than 20 amps on a brushless so it's actually a personal preference. I'm using the regular Deans because all my plane stuff is like that now but I used to use the micro Deans and they are much easier to get apart.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brushless
Does anyone see a problem using the Deans mini connectors instead of the regular sized connectors? I would be using them in my Mini-LST with the Hyperion 6000 and the Mamba 25 controller. I was just wondering if the mini connectors would allow enough current to flow through them.
The Mamba-25 is rated at 25 amps continuous and 50 amp surge. The micro and mini connectors probably don't have that high of a rating. I don't think the 4-pin is rated that high either. Simply put, I use the Deans Ultra Plug, which if I recall correctly has a 30 amp rating, when running the Mamba-25 and a brushless motor. You can always search google for a chart detailing how much each Deans connection is rated.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
R/C Crazy808

this is right off the Deans site,

Ultra Plug

The industry standard in high performance connectors. Rated number one by R/C Car Action, The Ultra Plug actually has less resistance, including the solder joints, than an equivalent length piece of 12 gauge wire.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
brushless

I would like to find where gives the current ratings for the normal sized ones compared to the mini ones.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
R/C Crazy808

this is what the Deans site has to say about the micro plug,

Micro Plug

Deans announces the Mirco Plug connector series. Designed for many popular models including; Slow and Park Flyers and 1/18 scale Micro cars, the Micro Series replaces the 1000 Series connector line.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some information from Bishop Power Products.

Deans Micro Connectors
Perfect for applications requiring up to 12amps continous current, the Deans Micro connectors are ultra light-weight and easy to use. Each pack comes with two connectors and heat shrink tubing.
http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?..._%23deansmicro

Deans Ultra Male Connectors
Perfect for applications requiring up to 80 amps continuous current and beyond, the Deans Ultra connectors are recommended for all applications requiring more than 12amps in continuous current. Comes with two Male connectors and heat shrink tubing
http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?...eansultra_male
Old 01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
brushless

Great. Thanks! I guess I'll keep the standard sized ones.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:40 AM
drksyd

Safest would be to go with the Ultra Deans since the micros are rated at only 12 amps. I know they'll handle 16-18 amps as I've run them at that level before, again got them because they're much easier to get apart and to save on weight.