Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini Quake 540 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
stewtheman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Quake 540 Conversion

For those who have been there and done the Mini Quake 540 conversion, I'm looking for some wisdom. I've got the SE Prebuilt on order (along with a 540 motor mount) as well as a Futaba MC330CR 13+T ESC and a Trinity Caliber 14T Double to be powered by 7.4V 2000mAh LiPos. Will this work and what kind of speed/performance can I expect? I also ordered some 40T spur gears and a 16, 17, 19, 24, and 25T pinion. Are there any weak areas that won't be able to handle the power? I'm hoping that the SE (not the RTR) is able to handle the extra power but I've read about spur gears not lasting too long. I've also come across an alloy spur gear (45T I think) and was wondering if that worked well with anyone. Will I be able to use a standard servo with the 540 or is there not enough room? Sorry if I've asked too many questions but I'm just really excited about this truck and eager to see if my setup will be successful. Everyone who knows anything please share the wealth! Thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
stewtheman

Default RE: Mini Quake 540 Conversion

So, I guess not too many people have done the Mini Quake 540 conversion? I figured it was kind of common but I guess not.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Jrgunn5150

Well the Mini Quake isn't all that common ion it's own right. You may want to check at one18th? It seems somebody on one of the forums I post on did it.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
hitman13429
My Feedback: (1)

I saw that motor mount on ebay and it looked wicked also! For the diffs since the se comes with ball diffs and CVD's you SHOULD BE ok there. As for the spur gear if u have the mesh correct it would be fine. Spur gears get chewed only if something gets in there or they move apart. As for room I don't know how high up the mount sits so once u get it put it in and see if there is enough room For the lipo u said u were gonna use it is a 1/10 scale or made for 1/18? If its for the 18th scale don't use it for the 1/10 scale electronics I belive the esc might draw to much current and there wouldn't be no cut off voltage and you might wreck the batt. Make sure thee gear mess is good and the 2 screws holding on motor mount underneath and tight and you should be ok
Old 06-25-2006, 05:50 PM
-Inverted-

For the lipo u said u were gonna use it is a 1/10 scale or made for 1/18? If its for the 18th scale don't use it for the 1/10 scale electronics
There is no scale difference in li-po batteries. Ni-Mh has Sub-C and 2/3a, li-po has only one size. However, due to the array of capacities only certain packs actually fit the battery tray. Basicly if you can fit it and your ESC can handle it you can use it.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
carmatic1

yeah, its the motor that draws current, not the esc, since your going up a motor size i'd look at the motor's max amp draw or something and compare it with your '1/18' lipo pack's maximum output...
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 AM
stewtheman

Well, my conversion is complete for the moment. This thing is stinking fast! Currently I'm only using rear wheel drive since one of my ball diffs got thrashed when my first ESC bugged out and wedged my Mini Quake under my bed at full throttle and kept at it for a good while before I could shut it off. That had me a little annoyed. I ended up putting an Associated LRP V10 14T Double in it instead of the Trinity and went with the 23T pinion and 46T spur gear. In order to mount my LiPo pack (which can handle up to 30A) I had to cut out the side of the chassis because it was too wide. Everything still seems really solid and it fits great now. I am very afraid to take it up to full throttle as this little guy absolutely flies! I've got a GPS coming tomorrow and I'm planning on mounting that on my MQ to measure the speed. I am very impressed and recommend this truck to everyone. In fact, Tower has it on sale right now for $125. Why don't more people have this truck? It seems like no one on these forums cares about them.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
stewtheman

I got my GPS today and measured the MQ's speed to be 33.4 MPH. That doesn't sound too fast to me but when this little truck is doing that kind of speed it looks and feels insane. It's really a lot of fun. Now I've got to get my front diffs fixed so I can have some fun off road.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 PM
dracohowe

ok next step is to stick a hacker in there and 11.1v lipo's. vroooooooooooooommmmmm
Old 07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
rusty savage

need videos!!! try using mini t adaptors to 12mm wheel hexes, and tossing some super rs4 rally wheels on there!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:58 PM
hands without shadows

Ya a hacker, or the new mamba maxx so you can tell people it has a mamba and then they'll get angry and say a mamba doesnt have enough torque, and then you can show them and say "this one does." Im sorry, thats just a really stupid post of me but man am I bored, busted spur in the stampede and busted bulkhead in the mini-t.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
stewtheman

I'm not so sure that I'm going to get more power out of one of those brushless motors. My 540 has plenty of power and is very inexpensive which definitely appeals to me. I have heard from many sources that the 540 conversion is just a better option both with power and cost. I guess maybe I should just say I'm satisfied for now. I have a short video of the MQ at night. [link=http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/stewbopper/?action=view&current=MiniQuakeNightDriving.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1]MQ Video[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19121.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	489300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60301.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	489301  
Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
dracohowe

if ur not gonna go brushless i say put a 6 turn in there. just for fun. but u might not want to run that on the road lol.