Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

NZ connection!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:45 AM
thatguyiscool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NZ connection!

Hi guys, im fairly new to electric rc and i have a couple of questions about chargers for batteries. I live in New Zealand and I've just purchased an rc18b from America. I'm wanting to purchase a seperate charger, rather than the one that comes with the kit. In New Zealand our power source connections are differnet to yours in America, my question is, if i buy a charger from america and purchase an adapter so that i can plug it into my wall at home will the charger still work properly? (im not too sure if the voltage output in nz is different from that in America). Also can anyone tell me what the best charger is for a mini NiMH battery for 1/18 scaled cars ?(rc18b), price range around $80. Thankyou!!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 AM
Makuku68

Default RE: NZ connection!

If you can get a Dynamite Ultra Peak AC/DC charger? You can use the alligator clips for the DC current and plug that into a 12Volt car battery or smaller battery for like a motorcycle. That might help you.

Mike
Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 AM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello thatguyiscool,

I am pretty sure NZ has a 230v ac mains which is the same as Hong Kong. NZ is a lovely country which I love to visit again by the way.

The mains in the US is 110v ac, so if you have to purchase your charger from the US, make sure it will work with both voltages. Not all chargers accept 230v.

However, you can always consider buying one from Hong Kong.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
nedMX

or australia.

but i reccomend going the DC charger route. can be a run off a 12v battery or a AC to DC power supply. i too had this dilema and ended up buying a DC charger from the states and modifying my old computer PSU to a 12v power supply.
if you want to do this, follow this great How-to.
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

the best part is, computer power supplys are a dime a dozen and extremely cheap.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 PM
normanski

Hello NedMX,

Great info on that power supply. What kind of current can you get out of your 12v PSU? Enough to charge your 1/18 battaries I suppose.

Normski
Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 PM
thatguyiscool

cheers guys, thanks for all your help. I might end up buying a charger from New Zealand even though ill have to pay an extra $100, at the moment it just seems less hassle!!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Mr. Mugen

Well I have a buddy that is leaving here on the 6th of july headed to your land. He owns a house there and goes there in the summer quite often. I may take him up on his offer to go next year. Looks like I should bring a 12 volt battery if I come eh?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:10 AM
thatguyiscool

so to my understanding, most peak chargers can be used with a 12 v battery, is this right?, if so, how long will the 12 v last before it dies and has to be charged again? (while powering the battery charger?).
Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 AM
normanski

Hello thatguyiscool,

If you have a real car, all you do is start the engine to recharge the 12V lead acid battery before it runs too low. You won't want to not able to start the car when you want to go home, would you?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:53 PM
thatguyiscool

cheers normanski, i forgot about car batteries. I would still prefer a charger you can plug into the wall however. I saw a super brain charger in New Zealand that had an american power cable with a nz connection on it, ill have to have a look into it. Do you think a Super brain 977 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML) would be good for charging mini batteries?, is that plug the right one for fitting mini batteries?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 AM
thatguyiscool

hmmmmm it now seems to me that most good chargers dont actually connect straight into your household current, is this right?, to me it seems you have to use 12 v power supplies, such as a car battery. For example, i know this charger (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LG2751&P=1) is a good for charging any sort of battery (in the future i might want to use lipo batteries, so im looking for a charger that will charge these), does this charger feed directly into a household curent?, or does it need to connect to a power supply? One last question! I have also noticed that some power supplies eg. (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLP2&P=M), actually connect into a household current, does this mean that this power supply dosnt ever need to be charged?, please help im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!, also it would be apreciated if you could give me a website with articles on rc batteries and chargers and how to use them etc.

thankyou!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:33 AM
thatguyiscool

ok guys i've done some more research and i understand a bit more. I'm going to buy a dc charger from the states and find a 12v power source here in New Zealand. I'm probably going to try convert a computer power supply, like you sain nedMX! its worth a shot considering i can get one for $25. By the way nedMX have u had any problems with your power supply?, is it easy enough to set-up? the charger that im interested in says that it will need at least 15A to run at its full potential, how many amps will the computer power supply produce???
Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 AM
nedMX

mines a 350w power supply and it says on the 12v circuit it puts outs 15A.
make sure its an ATX power supply as well. i havent tested it on anything yet but its putting out the correct power so far.
it would probably be the easiest thing i have ever done. all it envolves is collecting the minimal supplies, drilling the holes for the connectors, soldering the wires onto the connectors and the power resistor and then trimming all the excess wires off.

heres some pics of mine i just finished.

[img]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8605/dsc012468dn.jpg
[/img]