Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC18 first run problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:06 AM
jaymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC18 first run problem

I have the RC18T team kit with an AON motor, quark esc and 1/10 touring card wheels/tires and have just charged up my battery and gone to run it for the first time. When I turned on the esc and checked steering and throttle it seemed to sound and run smoothly but when I put it on the ground to give it a run it sounds like its just spinning - it moves but slowly but the motor sounds like its working. I'm only newish to RC so I dont want to pull it apart without asking a few questions first. I did put the front of the car against a wall and slowly move the throttle and noticed the pinion and spur gear spinning but wheels not moving - any ideas before I operate [X(]
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 AM
KRO

Default RE: RC18 first run problem

Sounds like the pinion gear on the motor is loose , are you SURE the spur gear is turning ?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 AM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: KRO

Sounds like the pinion gear on the motor is loose , are you SURE the spur gear is turning ?
I just tested it again indoors and not only the pinion and spur turn but the main drive shaft does as well, its like as soons as you put a small load on all 4 wheels the stay still and everything else spins!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 AM
MN_Gumby

The diffs are too loose.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 AM
KRO

The diffs are too loose.

That could be , but you said this was the cars first run ? Did you disassemble the diffs ? You can tighten them on the car , just remove the dogbone on the side with the screw .
Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 AM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: KRO

The diffs are too loose.

That could be , but you said this was the cars first run ? Did you disassemble the diffs ? You can tighten them on the car , just remove the dogbone on the side with the screw .
Its the team kit so I put it together from scratch so I could have done something wrong there ie: not tightened them enough. This is the cars first run, so should I just remove dogbones from front and back and tighten with screw driver - should I just tighten slightly, try and run it again and so on till it works?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:56 AM
abjones413

jaymac, I'm not sure if the AON motor is brushless, but I'm assuming it is seeing you have a Quark ESC. If that's the case, CompetitionX.com recommends tightening the diff all the way down. If it's NOT brushless, tighten it all the way down then back off 1/4 turn. The factory RTR setting is 1/2 turn, which in my own opinion offers too much slip.

Without taking too much apart (2 tie rod/turnbuckle ball studs, 1 in each gearbox top plate), you can easily tighten the diffs while still in place. Remove the left rear (battery side) dogbone and the right front (servo side) dogbones to access the adjusting screw. Seeing you put the kit together yourself, I'm sure you know what to remove to get the wheel to flop down and the dogbone to pop out.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Irlsh
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: abjones413

jaymac, I'm not sure if the AON motor is brushless, but I'm assuming it is seeing you have a Quark ESC. If that's the case, CompetitionX.com recommends tightening the diff all the way down. If it's NOT brushless, tighten it all the way down then back off 1/4 turn. The factory RTR setting is 1/2 turn, which in my own opinion offers too much slip.

Without taking too much apart (2 tie rod/turnbuckle ball studs, 1 in each gearbox top plate), you can easily tighten the diffs while still in place. Remove the left rear (battery side) dogbone and the right front (servo side) dogbones to access the adjusting screw. Seeing you put the kit together yourself, I'm sure you know what to remove to get the wheel to flop down and the dogbone to pop out.

have to agree 100%
Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: irlsh

have to agree 100%
Thanks Guys, I took one wheel off to expose the bolt only to discover that I could not find the hex key to tighten it so I'll get one today and try tonight. AON4900 is brushless and I bought a 7 cell 1400 8.4v pack to go with it so I almost fell over myself getting out the front door to try it for the first time - hope the fix will work!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68437.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	588437  
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
jeep2003

those wheels could also be putting too much strain on it. They look like 2.2 wheels and tires. I have those exact wheels but i was told not to bother getting tires for them because it would be too hard on the truck. If they end up working well for you let me know so i can go forth with running them. Also what gearing and tires are those? Thanks- Bryan
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: jeep2003

those wheels could also be putting too much strain on it. They look like 2.2 wheels and tires. I have those exact wheels but i was told not to bother getting tires for them because it would be too hard on the truck. If they end up working well for you let me know so i can go forth with running them. Also what gearing and tires are those? Thanks- Bryan
I'll see what happens when I tighten the diffs. The tyres are Kyosho rally block and wheels 26mm HPI mesh, I got the tyres off ebay for about $2 a pair a while back and just thought they would go well on the truck, the tread is'nt that chunky so they should be ok. I know a guy that runs the mlst wheels and tryes on his Rc18 and they are bigger than the HPI with more tread on the road so hopefully theses will be ok. I put the gearing as 12/60, any other suggestions for gearing is welcome (just bashing off road).
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Seek and Destroy

I bet you it is the diffs. I had the same problem before. What I always do is take the diff out and pop off the gold (in your case blue) rings around the diffs. then stick the 1.5mm hex key into the long end and put a flat head screw driver threw the other end so it doesn't allow it to turn. Then I tighten it all of the way down, and then back off 1/8th of a turn. Works really good. And every now and then I would check the diffs by put the truck on the floor and holding the back of the truck. The gas it some and see if all of the wheels spin the same speed. If they do then I know thats it's still tight enough.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: rc18t145

I bet you it is the diffs. I had the same problem before. What I always do is take the diff out and pop off the gold (in your case blue) rings around the diffs. then stick the 1.5mm hex key into the long end and put a flat head screw driver threw the other end so it doesn't allow it to turn. Then I tighten it all of the way down, and then back off 1/8th of a turn. Works really good. And every now and then I would check the diffs by put the truck on the floor and holding the back of the truck. The gas it some and see if all of the wheels spin the same speed. If they do then I know thats it's still tight enough.
Thanks for the advice! Cant I tighten the diff by inserting the hex key through the hole after removing the dog bone or do I need to expose both ends?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Seek and Destroy

You need to expose both ends. Because otherwise you will have a hard time stopping the otherside from spinning, and the only way to do that is to grab the dogbone (if you haven't taken off the otherside) which I am sure you don't want to scratch the aluminum. But I like to take off the top plate because it's much easier. You don't have to hold the sides with your finger, just stick a small flathead screwdriver all of the way through the short side, and the hex key into the otherside.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
abjones413

Hey rc18, he doesn't HAVE to take the diff out, even though it's pretty simple work. Just hold the opposite wheel while tightening the hex screw. The dogbone won't allow it to spin...
I know what you're talking about though, and I did that myself after I messed mine up from tightening too much that time and stripped the short outdrive threads. Remember that? I took the outdrive sleeves off and put one of the small hex wrenches horizontally through the dogbone slots and tightened the hex screw. Jaymac, please don't tighten too much. Stop when you think it's tight enough, because it probably is. The threads are plastic and will strip out. If you screw it up, I have a thread somewhere I'll link you to to repair it easily, OR you could just order some MIP Super Diffs, titanium diffs or aluminum diffs. I actually heard any of those metal diffs are a great idea if you run brushless, which you are...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Seek and Destroy

Hey rc18, he doesn't HAVE to take the diff out, even though it's pretty simple work. Just hold the opposite wheel while tightening the hex screw. The dogbone won't allow it to spin...
I know what you're talking about though, and I did that myself after I messed mine up from tightening too much that time and stripped the short outdrive threads. Remember that? I took the outdrive sleeves off and put one of the small hex wrenches horizontally through the dogbone slots and tightened the hex screw. Jaymac, please don't tighten too much. Stop when you think it's tight enough, because it probably is. The threads are plastic and will strip out. If you screw it up, I have a thread somewhere I'll link you to to repair it easily, OR you could just order some MIP Super Diffs, titanium diffs or aluminum diffs. I actually heard any of those metal diffs are a great idea if you run brushless, which you are...
Yep, you don't have to, but I like too. But I very rarely took mine apart so I just took it down to inspect whats in the cases and whats on the gears and if the gears are still meshing well. Good point on not over tightening things. [ something I am good at]
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM
abjones413

Hey rc18, did you see my posts with the hop-ups installed? I put a few easy upgrades on... - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5186092/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Seek and Destroy

Yep I did, Are those actually 2.2's?

Heres a size comparison

Smallest to largest
micro-t tire
mini-t tire
rc18mt tire
tc tire
rusty tire
t-maxx tire
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 AM
abjones413

Yep I did, Are those actually 2.2's?
Well, they're actually 58mm, but that is equivalent to 2.2" and they're 33mm wide rather than the standard 26mm t/c wheels - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCEA1&P=7

The tires themselves are actually listed for the Super Nitro RS4. They are also wider than the standard 26mm t/c tires, which is what I was going for. The specs on Tower do list them as 2.2" tires, so that pretty much makes the above wheels 2.2" - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZK77&P=M
I left the included foams out to lessen some stiffness. Seeing they're such lo-pro tires they have barely any sidewall flex, so now the suspension will be working overtime (like me) to compensate for the lack of the squishy stock setup. I may need to put some lighter oil in there...
Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Seek and Destroy

Oh, I may need to get those. Tell me how it works. It looks like you could almost drive the thing upside down with the body off.[>:]
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
jaymac

Thanks for the feedback, I remember when I assembled the kit I paid very close attention to the instructions to tighten the diff hex bolt and then loosen 1/2 turn, if I re-tighten and loosen say 1/8 turn only, would this generally make a big difference?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
abjones413

Oh, I may need to get those. Tell me how it works. It looks like you could almost drive the thing upside down with the body off.[>:]
rc - Works AWESOME! Totally awesome. No strain on the stock motor with stock gearing. Handles great. Drives over almost anything.

jaymac - yes, that will make a huge diff erence. Get it? DIFF erence... Anyway, when I was messing around with mine, fine tuning the diffs, it was very touchy. It took a little time to get it just right. Even less than 1/8 of a turn is noticeable!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM
jaymac

rc - Works AWESOME! Totally awesome. No strain on the stock motor with stock gearing. Handles great. Drives over almost anything.

jaymac - yes, that will make a huge diff erence. Get it? DIFF erence... Anyway, when I was messing around with mine, fine tuning the diffs, it was very touchy. It took a little time to get it just right. Even less than 1/8 of a turn is noticeable!
Just out of interest - if I over-tighten, what will happen?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
abjones413

It will strip the plastic threads in the opposite side. The screw will just spin and spin and spin and the diff will be at it's loosest setting. You will then have to find a 2mm nut and thread the screw into it. It's not fun...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
abjones413

It will strip the plastic threads in the opposite side. The screw will just spin and spin and spin and the diff will be at it's loosest setting. Your car will barely move, only being driven by one diff. You will then have to find a 2mm nut and thread the screw into it. It's not fun...