Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Help choosing a great bashing motor for 18MT

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Help choosing a great bashing motor for 18MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM
subyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing a great bashing motor for 18MT

Just got a used RC18MT in the mail today (all stock.) I took it out and bashed a little bit. I am impressed with the speed stock, but want a little bit more power for the conditions in my yard. I have a lot of steep grades, jumps, and grass so more power is needed. I am looking for a low maintaince, high torque, good speed motor. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the setup since it will only be used for bashing, not racing or anything like that. I also want to get decent run time and do not want lipo batteries.

So, what sounds like a good motor based on what I have said so far and what supporting mods would be good to do at the same time? Thanks a lot!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Haulin Azz

Default RE: Help choosing a great bashing motor for 18MT

i would say get the cobalt b brushless motor and [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270061503202]THIS[/link] esc, i got my whole brushless setup for $80.00
Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
subyman

I'll have to look into it, but I was hoping to go along the lines of just a drop in motor. What about the Orion Baja? What is the good bashing set up most people go with?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Haulin Azz

brushles is drop in just drop in esc and motor, maintence free totally, no brushes to have to deal with or comm cuts.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM
-Inverted-

Orion Baja is a great motor.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
subyman

I just really don't want to spend 80 bucks + shipping on a motor + ESC when I only paid 100 for the truck itself. Maybe later down the road I will upgrade to that, but right now I just want to have enough power to bash around the yard. I'm not racing or anything like that. Thanks for the input though!

Inverted, I've heard a little bit about the Orion Baja, about how much faster/quicker will it make my RC18MT? Is it going to be a noticeable performance boost?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 PM
darindotson

Yes, it is a great motor. I have one in a Mini-T, have run about 100 packs through it, and it just keeps on chugging. I just lube the bearings every once in a while, and she runs like a charm. It's a little pricey, but worth the money in the long run.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
subyman

darindotson, I assume you are talking about the Baja motor correct? If so, about how much improvement did you notice going to the new motor? Also, after all that time with the motor, does it have enough power to keep you entertained for many months down the road? Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
SubaruSti

i have a orion motor, that I used once. I bought a 18t, then a orion motor, then a mamba system. I'll give you the motor if you want.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
SubaruSti

I just dug it out. It is a Orion Big Block micro modified. iT even has a pinion and 2 motor screws. The pluy is the same as the stock 18t motor, so it is a full drop in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47526.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	590854  
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM
subyman

You have mail SubaruSti! How does that Big Block compare to the Baja? Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 AM
darindotson

Yes, I'm referring to the Orion Baja. I went to this motor from the stock Mini-T motor and noticed a tremendous increase in torque and top speed. My 8 year old has been running this setup for about a year, and he loves it. Tops out at about 28 mph. The other mini-T I have has the Mamba Comp. X in it, and yes, it's a screamer. But I love the ORion motor!
ORIGINAL: subyman

darindotson, I assume you are talking about the Baja motor correct? If so, about how much improvement did you notice going to the new motor? Also, after all that time with the motor, does it have enough power to keep you entertained for many months down the road? Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
tjarr001

hey haulin what the name of that motor you alway talk about not the bl , its the one you talk about gettin if you dont go bl. what do you think of it against the baja motor
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
KRO

I second the BAJA motor , LOTS of torque and decent top speed ( as stated , close to 30 mph ) . I have one in my RC18MT and it has been great .

I am going to a Mamba Comp X system too though ,

I will sell it too you subyman , sorry cant give it too you , I just bought it for 35.00 a week ago .