Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Team VTX Truggy Review - Amateur version.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
UNITED RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team VTX Truggy Review - Amateur version.

Ok Gents, I just received the TVTX Truggy last week, and I allocated time this weekend to get it going and break the engine in, etc.

Here is my experience on this Truggy from purchase to today’s current status of the Truggy. By no means, do I intend for this to be a “Bible” version review for the Truggy, just another driver’s review of the truck. I would, however, need to mention that I am almost obsessive compulsive and a perfectionist, so while I might say something is not good, to most users this would not be an issue.

First, you need to know that I did not purchase this Truggy to race it, just bash around the local areas and to have fun.

I read a lot of threads here, and it appeared that there was enough info on the Truggy to justify the purchase, plus, for $229, delivered to your house (RC-NATION.COM) and all the massive upgraded parts (alum. galore, 2-speed, etc), you cant find a better deal anywhere. Yes the Rascal is nice, but 2wd is not for me, I wanted 4wd.

The Truggy arrived very quickly from RC Nation. The Truggy is VERY well packed in the nice retail box, so it was very protected for any kind of shipping method. I did a quick once over of the Truggy, and the first time I saw it in person, it looked like I just purchased a $500 RC truck with all the shinny alum parts. It’s GORGIOUS!!

The first thing I noticed is that the body is ok, nothing spectacular, just average quality. The body, in its stock form is VERY hard to remove from the posts due to the amount the body that is under the wing. The lower right side is hard to get over the exhaust hole as well. My body is about to rip through the bottom due to the pull of the body on the exhaust tube. The body does have some good points. IMO I think that the Truggy version is the best looking body in the micro nitro trucks/buggies, and with it being pre-painted white and the stickers on it, it looks really nice for a smaller RC mfgr product (its not a Traxxas body, so don’t expect it)

Now, the good stuff, under the hood! The alum looks great and appears to be well designed and produced. Most, if not all, of the parts seems to fit very well together and provide fluid movement. I am noticing some wiggle from the front knuckles, but I might be able to address this. The RX box is ok. Again, the design on how to remove the cover seems to have been left off the high priority list with the design team. You need to remove 2 pins and also remove 2 small screws in the rear. This seems a bit overkill for in the field driving. Once the cover is off, there is great room in the box, so feel free to put your own FM RX in there.

The stock servos seem to be ok…but I am getting some very tight and not very smooth throttle control at the low end. I am not sure if it is just the stock servo, or the springs that pull the throttle linkage back to the carb for safety. The steering servo seems a bit week to turn all this alum parts. I am also having an issue with the steering setup not turning equally to the right as it does the left. It could be the other, but there is an issue with equal turning radius. *While driving, it really does not seem to be a big deal, but again, my OC side is talking here!

The engine seems to idle REALLY NICE! The one thing I found in the manual was that it seems to miss TVX’s recommended engine break in procedures. This was somewhat disappointing because of how important this is for nitro engines, but members here helped me get the break in done so all was good. The issue has been reported to Team TVX, so hopefully they will update the manuals and/or post an addendum on their website. I only had to make a few minor adjustments for break in. I had to turn the idle down a bit and adj. the low speed needle slightly. Other than that, the engine is AWESOME! I have to increase the throttle trim a bit to get it started but once its started, it purs!!!

So overall, I am VERY pleased with this Truggy. It looks so darn cool and is overall one of the best, if not the best Micro Nitro values your can buy, BAR NONE! Most drivers who purchase these types of RC trucks end up upgrading servos and RX equipment so my issue with the servos is a short term thing. If I had to score this Truggy on a 10 point scale, here is how I would rate it:

[ul][*] Packaging: 9 [*] Street Appeal (looks): 9[*] Documentation: 7 (missing engine break in procedures)[*] Product Build: 8[*] Engine: 9[*] Fun Factor: 9[*] Overall average: 8.5
[/ul]

Great Job Team VTX on putting out a micro nitro rc vehicle that, I feel, will force their competitors to either follow with included upgrades or lower their price! I love market competition!!!!

If any of you have tips or tricks that would help any of my reported issues, please post them here so other users can inform themselves prior to making a decision on purchasing this Truggy/buggy.

Have fun and drive safe!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM
-Inverted-

Default RE: Team VTX Truggy Review - Armature version.

Great review. User reviews always surpass the reviews you find in magazines in my opinion. Good to know clean responses from people who will consistantly use the truck. Looks to be a great vehicle for the price. Have fun! [8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Dokioto

Very nice review...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 AM
UNITED RC

Thanks guys.....

I agree that user reviews are a great addition to mag or vendor type of reviews. Users I think provide a better "non-bias" review since they have invested thier own money into the product unlike magazines you read. Mags are given products, and then they have the "this company is a major advertiser" so make it good. When was the last time you have seen a negative review on any AE vehicle in RC Car Action?

THis is really a solid truck and anyone looking for a smaller nitro RC truck to purchase, this is the one!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
UNITED RC

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Very nice review...
Dokioto,

I would like to hear your 2 cents on this review. I see that you have the Trintiy NEXT. I have heard these to trucks are about the same, and I would like and I am sure others would like to know if your NEXT has any of these "issues" or what you have found.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 AM
rc monkey

Any pictures?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Dannn

Trinity next is close to the vulcan right? Well the small motors have major issues with oil coming out the front bearing. Gears strip really easy... Get a set of metal gears and shim the bearing and it should be good...
Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Kokopelli06

Awesome job on the review, do you have any pics?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
-Inverted-

When was the last time you have seen a negative review on any AE vehicle in RC Car Action?
When pigs flew, oh wait...!

How are the tires, alot of smaller manufacturer's cars often include cheap tires, do these appear like they will last a while?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
UNITED RC

Default RE: Team VTX Truggy Review - Amateur version.

I will snap some pics today and post later. I will also look at the tires too.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
UNITED RC

In the pics you will notice the silver fuel filter and might notice that I have cut away most of the rear end of the body to make the mounting much easier. The fuel filter is an add on!!!

Here some pics of the truggy just after it was fully broken in:

Old 01-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Mitchell91

very nice...

I want one now
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
rc monkey

[X(] Thats alot of aluminium for a stock truck[X(]
Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Mattdg67

Awsome review. [sm=50_50.gif] Maybe I'll get one now.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM
-Inverted-

Aluminum shocks, shock towers, and a-arms in a stock truck....theres an extra $100 in hop-ups I spent on my mini-lst. I would be interested in doing a brushless conversion in here. That nice wide chassis should hold some li-po packs easily, and with all the extras stock you would really be saving money.

I think if you threw on a Crowd Pleazer it would look even better. [8D]

So, how does the fun factor compare to the FG?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
UNITED RC

You cant compare the FG to the VTX. Its like apples and oranges. The VTX is faster off the line for sure....but once the FG gets going...there is a lot of force with that truck. Also....it would destroy anything it hits......
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
-Inverted-

I know they aren't really comparable, just was wondering which one you found more fun. I thought you sold the FG, at least you had mentioned it. How much fuel have you ran through this baby yet?

Also one thing I have been wondering, considering the price and what you get, what quality is the aluminum. Is it pretty nice or is it a softer grade like what integy uses?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:09 PM
UNITED RC

The alum seems pretty nice to me. I am not sure if I would be the correct person to comment on this...but it appears to be well cut and polished. In my experience, when using alum. it is always a good sign when you can not see cut marks, swirls AND all the alum parts work with eachother, no binding.

This is the case with the VTX.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM
-Inverted-

Sounds like a nice solid truck then. [8D]
Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
SavageRevo
My Feedback: (-1)

Well I just ordered one. I have been looking for a 1/16 nitro to add to my Revo 2.5, Revo 3,3, Savage X SS, Mayhem ST and RC18MT collection

I almost purshased the Next, but I think this truggy has more potential and seems to be more durable...

Can't wait to get it [>:]
Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM
UNITED RC

ORIGINAL: SavageRevo

Well I just ordered one. I have been looking for a 1/16 nitro to add to my Revo 2.5, Revo 3,3, Savage X SS, Mayhem ST and RC18MT collection

I almost purshased the Next, but I think this truggy has more potential and seems to be more durable...

Can't wait to get it [>:]
SavageRevo, you will love it....especially since you have nitro experience, you will be able to rock and roll right away. I am still figuring out the tuning part of the engine. It is bogging down on me when I punch it....

Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
SavageRevo
My Feedback: (-1)

I know I can't wait. It's coming from CA priority mail, so I should have it here in Indy by Thursday at the latest.

I don't have high hopes for the stock motor, I think I will probably be replace it pretty quickly with the Trinity .095 Mini Draked motor...[>:]
Old 01-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: UNITED RC

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Very nice review...
Dokioto,

I would like to hear your 2 cents on this review. I see that you have the Trintiy NEXT. I have heard these to trucks are about the same, and I would like and I am sure others would like to know if your NEXT has any of these "issues" or what you have found.

Thanks

As of right now I have not broken in my NEXT (to cold) so I do not now the performance of it. But just looking at the two this is what I think...
The body on the VTX looks a lot better then the NEXT stock body but I don't have any problems with fitting it like you do. You say the VTX has some weak servos but the NEXTs aren't that great; You may have problems with your steering servo because it has to move all that aluminum. Most RTRs come with crappy servos anyway. These Trucks look very similar but the VTX is shiny and the NEXT is not! I will say more when I run it.... But irish owns both and I think he could tell you more...
Old 01-07-2007, 05:50 PM
UNITED RC

I know I can't wait. It's coming from CA priority mail, so I should have it here in Indy by Thursday at the latest.

I don't have high hopes for the stock motor, I think I will probably be replace it pretty quickly with the Trinity .095 Mini Draked motor...[>:]
I think that will be my 2nd upgrade. The first will be replacing the servos with Hitec MG servos, and then 2nd will be, if it fits, the .095 trinity motor.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Mattdg67

ORIGINAL: UNITED RC

I think that will be my 2nd upgrade. The first will be replacing the servos with Hitec MG servos, and then 2nd will be, if it fits, the .095 trinity motor.

The Engine most likely will fit. The VTX and the NEXT are pretty much the same just for the Aluminum, Body, and like a few small things. But I think the Engine will be a direct fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.