Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Shim Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 AM
slowcobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shim Ideas??

Helo, I have already ordered my vicious diffs and should be here tomarrow, I need to know if shims are essential to install before running them. If I need them where can I get them, hardware store, around the house ect...
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 AM
GravityJunkie

Default RE: Shim Ideas??

I consider shims essential for my mlst and vis diffs. I'm running lipo and a wraith, but even if I was running stock I would still do it. Sure you can more than likely get away with not shimming when stock, but don't you want to have the correct gear mesh? Some people would say shimming isn't necessary. There are some people who just like to get something done and there are other people who like to take the time to do it right. I'm the second group of people.

Losi ships 2 shims for the pinion. However, if your ring gear has slop and you want to do it right, you need 8mm shims for the ring gear. I don't have these type of shims lying around and my local hardware store didn't have them. They have the correct diameter, but they are way to thick. I had to order some. Heck, with the way I shimmed my gears, I didn't have a problem with a stock pinion up front and a DP pinion in the rear. That was running 3s lipo and a wraith. It pays to do it right.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
TheArsonist21

They come with shims. You will not need them.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
GravityJunkie

They only come with pinion shims.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
slowcobra

Well I hope nothing goes wrong with my drivetrain, have MIp center ball, MIP rear CVD's, Vicious diffs and a Mamba Esc with 6800 untill my wraith arrives an a 2c Lipo. 18T pinion for 6800 and 25T on wraith.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:55 PM
TheArsonist21

You dont need to do any more shims than on the Pinion. They come tight just with the one shim on the Pinion.

However you will eventually tear the o-ring kit inside the diffs, so order 2 of these kits when you get home. Next time your on AIM dude, I can explain better for ya.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJVD0&P=ML