Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Aluminum Spur Gear question for RC18MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
ZDarryl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Spur Gear question for RC18MT

Hey Guys,

Have you guys used a aluminum spur gear on an RC18T/MT/B?????

I was putting one on my MT because the plastic one got chewed up with my Mamba 8000, and it seems really loud [X(]

Is this normal? It seems like metal to metal will be louder then metal to plastic, but it seems way too annoying.

Is there any way to quiet this down?

Thanks!!

Darryl
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
ZDarryl

Default RE: Aluminum Spur Gear question for RC18MT

Has anyone used an aluminum spur gear? Or am I the first?

Do you just accept the louder noise of the gears meshing?

Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Big Green Machine

I was going to order one but didnt because I figured it would be too loud. I have been running my stock Spur since I bought my truck. I have a 8000 with an 8 cell in it and I drive it like I stole it and there is no wear at all on the spur gear so I am going to stick with the stock plastic gear as I see no need to go alluminum.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 PM
ZDarryl

I must not have had the pinion tight enough against the plastic spur gear, causing it to wear out. I will probably put a new plastic spur gear in and forget about the aluminum.

Unless someone out there can help me quiet it down......lol
Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Big Green Machine

Ya, I think that may have been your problem. The funny thing is that I do have a few crooked teeth on my spur that happened shortly after I bought it and before I installed the Mamba,. I was racing it with a buddy when all of a sudden it started making a bad clicking noise, sure enough I could see some bent/slightly broken teeth on the spur from were a rock must have got in between the gears. My buddy sugested that I back off the tension between then pinion and the spur and when I did the clicking went away and I have never had another problem since and the teeth are the same as they were way back then, even after running the 8000 for a few months now. and I run them with noticeable play and on rocky,sandy surfaces all the time. I'd say stick with the plastic spur and use the alloy one as a back up part.