Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
supafastsupra2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-bXEf3IcKU

88mph recoil catching air
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
kavvika

lancer: I'm going to sell my RS4 MT rolling chassis and a few other spare parts and will have more than enough for a used Recoil and a brushless system for it. It's a shame I missed that like-new RTR Recoil that went for $55 on eBay. I hesitated just too long and someone else grabbed it. I'm building a RC18T right now but I already know I'll use it on the street more than off-road, so a Recoil just makes sense. Within the next 6 months I'm sure I'll have one in my garage.

My question is what heatsink is on your Mamba-25 (Sidewinder Micro?) ESC? That's a genius idea, and turns it into a Mamba Micro Pro (without the case) for cheap. I presume you then re-shrinked it? Would the Associated blue XPS ESC work?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
lancer123

oooo i thinki grabbed that like RTR recoil for $54.50 off ebay ... when was it ??i got mine like
1 or 2 month ago

the heat sink is pretty useless ...my mamba does even get warm ... i just wanted it for the looks ....i am not sure how big the XP heat sink is but any heat sink will work FINE ! just make sure shrink can go over it and yea...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
kavvika

Don't worry, it wasn't you. The one I was looking to buy ended today. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290260759391&ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOR:US:1123]Here's[/link] the link.

Hmm, if the heatsink is really that useless, then why does Castle even sell the Pro? That's good to know that it's not needed, since I have a sidewinder and was concerned it wasn't going to be enough ESC for 3S LiPo and a 370-sized BL motor. Castle even stated that the two ESC's were identical save for the plastic case and heatsink.

But do you remember what brand the sink was? I can't find any small low-profile heatsinks on eBay or thetoyz.com save for the XPS. I figure if I'm really bored it'd make a great rainy-day project, even though it probably won't bring any benefit.

BTW, I don't know if this was mentioned before, but Exotek is working on a CF chassis. Wonder when it will be out?

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty much a Traxxas only-guy, except for my RS4 MT and the AE RC18T I picked up last month for my birthday as I wanted a smaller apartment-friendly truck. I owned a Sportwerks Chaos for one day then turned right around and sold it, it was that bad. Although, I never was a fan of nitro's to begin with. Brushless has all the power of a nitro engine and more, with no cleanup. From what I've read, though, the Recoil is a winner.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
lancer123

no idea when the chassis will be out .. but i saw it on their site ... the heat sink might be useful on lipo ... i might even put a fan on it ...

DUDE that RECOIL DEAL WAS AWESSOEM ... ebay has heals
16 right now ending in 2 days
might get it cheap for $40

recoil arent doing so well for somereason ...

but they are sure fun and like the best micro touring car ..

go on ebay and search RAM heat sinks
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM
kavvika

Oh, those are memory chip heatsinks! I should've known! [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandnew-DDR-Ram-Cooler-Heat-Sink-heatsink-For-Ram-VGA_W0QQitemZ280267165513QQihZ018QQcategoryZ80151Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]These[/link] look like they'll do nicely

Yeah, I know that was a great deal, please don't rub it in! I offered $40 just out of curiosity last night, then the seller counter offered $55 this morning, but I hesitated and then had to leave for class. By the time I got back, it was sold. But if what you said is true, I should have no problem finding another deal like that.

I'll probably look into a roller, like that Spashett ARR for $100, as I have a secondhand AON4900 motor just sitting here waiting for a car! It was going to go in my 18T, but I don't want to mess with modifying the motor mount to fit the larger can and have a Mamba CM2068 (68800kv) motor coming that I found brand new for a smoking price.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:47 AM
gbasile77

Hi Guys,
Is anybody running sway bars on their recoil? It appears the car has provision for them but I can't find any listed.
I think a rear sway bar would help the handling.

So, if you are running sway bars, how/where did you get them and do you like them?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
rubber_junkie

looking to fit some sways on mine soon, i'll be using xray M18 sways but the ftx blaze(uk) aka vendetta/mbx sways fits also sidewinder esc =25A the mamba micro pro=35A

brought s/h while ago was RTR but had own leccys which i used then went brushless.
fitted turnbuckles,springs,fans,foams,c4,sidewinder,ballr aced steering.
got new shell to paint.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
kavvika

Like I promised, I went ahead and purchased a Recoil. I bought one of the $98 Pro Spashett Editions off eBay along with a black pre-painted body for $12. I needed a car to drop my *free* AON4900 motor into, and really want to tear up some tennis courts. Besides, I was sick of the poor handling of my 4-tec, and the graphite chassis is too rare to risk damaging. For the servo I'm getting a Futaba S-9650, and I'll be borrowing the CC Sidewinder Micro ESC, Spektrum SR3500 RX, and Rhino 2S 1550mAh LiPo from my RC18T. Should be here within a week!

Is there anything I should know before I run it? Will the ball diffs. handle the power or should I pick up the $10 gear diff. set? Does the Pro version come with any pinions?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Metallover

The ball diffs in my pro can handle my Neu. Completely balded and ripped apart the stock tires in less then 10 runs. The pro doesn't come with pinions.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
kavvika

Haha, this car gets more expensive by the minute! I have a 14T from my RC18T, would this be a good starting point or should I look for a 15T and above? Losi mini LST pinions should work, right? Good to know I won't need the gear diffs.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
lancer123

uhh....i use 14/56 gearing with my 8900kv motor 3S lipo and its super fast

with 58t spur use a 16T or sumthing ... gearing doesnt seem like and issue for me ... i just use any of my rc18r pinions ...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
kavvika

Since I'm running such a large(24x33mm) and low kv (4900) motor, I think a 22T is a safe bet. I remember a guy on one of the previous pages running a 30T pinion! Besides, it's the smallest 2mm mod.5 steel pinion the eBay seller I bought the recoil from has in stock. Can't beat free shipping.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 PM
gbasile77

i read somewhere on the rc tech forum that Horizon is going to stop making the recoil. They will be supported until 2010 though. By then, we will all have moved on to 1/14 hover cars so shouldn't be a big problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 AM
gbasile77

Hi Guys,

I am running my tailwhip bodied recoil (well it's a tailwhip) and I think I am having aerodynamics problems.
My car is running Feigao 6500kv motor with 1/10 mamba sidewinder and 2s lipo and 17/58 gearing.
When the car really gets going it seems to get wind under the front and body starts flapping a little and you can really hear it. I have the body mounted as low as I can. I did a test by raising the body a little on the posts and the problem got worse.

Do you think this is just poor aerodynamic of the tailwhip body? Anybody had similar problems with the recoil mazda body? With my setup I am moving pretty quick but I doubt it is super fast.

help?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
WalkerBoh
My Feedback: (7)

Sportwerks has the Recoil listed as discontinued on it's website. I would have to guess that's why all the smokin' deals on Ebay.

Anyone else have issues with the ball diffs? First I had to replace the balls in mine (original were chrome plated and the plating came off....) and now the cups have serious divits in them where the driveshafts run. I called Horizon last winter about it and they basically told me tough luck. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue? I'm going to replace them with Vendetta diffs.

-Aaron

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
westphill24

I heard Sportwerks was going out of business. It sucks because there products are good its just the support sucked.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Horizon has decided to close down their line of Sportwerks vehicles....................................
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 AM
lancer123

***f !! WOW

umm

Does anyone want to buy TO SCALE LANCER and SUBARU STI BODIES!!! FITS PERFECTLY ON RECOIL!!!!!

i am gonna get some Carisma lancer evo and subaru bodies and was wondering if anyone wanted some ..

$20 with shipping and tracking #

anyone !??!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Metallover

Dang. I'm going to get rid of my recoil while I still can. I never really drive it anymore anyway. It was a fun car to drive while it lasted.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Metallover

Dang. I'm going to get rid of my recoil while I still can. I never really drive it anymore anyway. It was a fun car to drive while it lasted.
I sold all 5 of mine because they were just taking up space and I hadn't ran them in over 6 months..................
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
westphill24

All the ones Ive seen on ebay have mostly no bids. This really blows.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 AM
joeyhatch11

Is the Recoil falling out that bad? I was thinking of buying the Tailwhip to have this winter for some basement drifting. Was also going to dump a Mamba 4400kv system in it for some extra kick. Nothing too crazy. Well if any of you guys are thinking about getting rid of your recoils please feel free to PM me. I'll take one ASAP. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 AM
huskerdually

I'm checking with a friend overseas seeing if I can get some carisma gt14s sent over. I think they have anti-roll bars, and one ways over there.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

Is the Recoil falling out that bad? I was thinking of buying the Tailwhip to have this winter for some basement drifting. Was also going to dump a Mamba 4400kv system in it for some extra kick. Nothing too crazy. Well if any of you guys are thinking about getting rid of your recoils please feel free to PM me. I'll take one ASAP. Thanks, Joe
I don't think it had a falling out. I think Horizon just didn't do a good enough job advertizing it. I loved running mine before I sold them but when none of the LHS stocked the parts it makes it harder to keep them running. They also run alot better on either a smooth surface or carpet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.