Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

MI + Wraith + 3s lipo + Quark 33PC == thermal shutoff

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

MI + Wraith + 3s lipo + Quark 33PC == thermal shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM
pbmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MI + Wraith + 3s lipo + Quark 33PC == thermal shutoff

Oops

Boy my Mini Inferno was STUPID fast before I hit shutoff - ESC was over 200F when I measured it after walking it into the garage. The numbers (16T pinion) say 60mph; it's too bad the quark can't handle it! Maybe I should get a mamba max or something... The motor was only around 160 and the batteries were fine. I didn't get any current readings... I'll do that on my next try [8D]

Best part was that the MI was rock solid at that speed. Made an awesome wooshing sound too
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
jaejw1

Default RE: MI + Wraith + 3s lipo + Quark 33PC == thermal shutoff

lucky you.. the wraith didnt like the vendetta gearing.. you used a 3s lipo with the wraith.. did you do the same with the permax.. http://www.modellbau-schenk.de/videos/shark.avi this is a permax with a 3s lipo in the vendetta
Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 PM
-Inverted-

You were definately overgeared if you were hitting those temps....
Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: jaejw1

lucky you.. the wraith didnt like the vendetta gearing.. you used a 3s lipo with the wraith.. did you do the same with the permax.. http://www.modellbau-schenk.de/videos/shark.avi this is a permax with a 3s lipo in the vendetta
Yup, I used a 3s lipo with the permax in the MI also (twin Apogee 3s 20C 1000mah packs). The permax ran a little on the hot side, but it was quick and extremely responsive.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Silentbob343

I'm thinking of getting an eagle tree to keep an eye on things esp. after my last quark went up in a puff of smoke. Like to see what is going on in my setup.

Quick question; what kind of damage occurs to the motor at high temps and will it affect the ESC? I know it will weaken the magnets, but does it create addtional resistance requiring an increase in current? My brand new Quark gave up the ghost and my setup was pretty much the same as before with the Quark that had the broken button. Same gearing, tires/wheels, motor, etc. The only thing different was the battery. My motor had been run pretty hot in a previous session with the old controller. After the Quark blew it was quite hot, but my battery and motor were both cool to the touch.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

You were definately overgeared if you were hitting those temps....
Depends on your definition of "overgeared". For the ESC? Yes. For the motor and batteries? Apparently not, given motor and battery temps (and I'm sure it was pulling less than 40A continuous). For me? Never!!!

I tried dropping it down to a 13T pinion (top end near 50) with some success. It ran longer, but still hit thermal shutoff WAY down the street where I could barely see it. Thankfully the servo still works so I was able to steer it to the edge of the road while I waited for it to cool a bit. The motor was just as cool after nearly twice the runtime, batteries too. So it definitely wasn't overgeared this time... I think the quark is just a bit wimpy near the high end of its current range.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Mr. Mugen

Which Quark do you have?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: Silentbob343
Quick question; what kind of damage occurs to the motor at high temps and will it affect the ESC? I know it will weaken the magnets, but does it create addtional resistance requiring an increase in current? My brand new Quark gave up the ghost and my setup was pretty much the same as before with the Quark that had the broken button. Same gearing, tires/wheels, motor, etc. The only thing different was the battery. My motor had been run pretty hot in a previous session with the old controller. After the Quark blew it was quite hot, but my battery and motor were both cool to the touch.
I imagine the bearings begin to suffer some at higher temps, giving you increased friction and current draw. I've heard similar things about the quark. Honestly, it seems they have a design issue; it should be able to handle the punishment. I'm going to throw my wattmeter on and see what kind of current it's pulling on my next run.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Which Quark do you have?
Quark 33 Pro CAr
Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Silentbob343

ORIGINAL: pbmax

I imagine the bearings begin to suffer some at higher temps, giving you increased friction and current draw. I've heard similar things about the quark. Honestly, it seems they have a design issue; it should be able to handle the punishment. I'm going to throw my wattmeter on and see what kind of current it's pulling on my next run.
My theory as well, baking the bearings could be creating friction.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
jaejw1

yeah so far i have had 2 that went out.. go figure..
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Silentbob343

yeah so far i have had 2 that went out.. go figure..
Bearings or ESCs? I know the Quark can a handle my setup the first one ran great, but the button came off. The second one lasted 5 minutes and I was just going up and down the street. I hadn't even started climbing with it so I'm trying to narrow down what could've killed it. I think it was a glitch because the Quake stopped like it had been slammed in to reverse and then smoke. I have since bought new radio gear just in case.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread pbmax. I should email Quark and see what they think.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 PM
jaejw1

2 esc's.. quarks
Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
pbmax

More data:

An easy acceleration run to top speed gave me a peak current draw of a little over 31A (don't remember exactly). A full throttle acceleration run (center diff murder!) gave me 37.1 Ap, while a moderate run gave 35.75Ap.

These are peak numbers, so continuous is probably in the high 20s. The quark should be able to handle bursts up to 50 for 10 seconds or more (per their spec). Why does it hit 248degF cutoff after just a few full-throttle runs up and down the street? Honestly, I couldn't stay on it too long because I ran out of room....
Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Silentbob343

More data:

An easy acceleration run to top speed gave me a peak current draw of a little over 31A (don't remember exactly). A full throttle acceleration run (center diff murder!) gave me 37.1 Ap, while a moderate run gave 35.75Ap.

These are peak numbers, so continuous is probably in the high 20s. The quark should be able to handle bursts up to 50 for 10 seconds or more (per their spec). Why does it hit 248degF cutoff after just a few full-throttle runs up and down the street? Honestly, I couldn't stay on it too long because I ran out of room....
hmm I wish we could see how long it's above 33A, i.e. perhaps full throttle peaks at 37A, but drops to 35A for the remainder of the run. Or perhaps it's just a defective Quark.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
pbmax

hmm I wish we could see how long it's above 33A, i.e. perhaps full throttle peaks at 37A, but drops to 35A for the remainder of the run. Or perhaps it's just a defective Quark.
My slow accell run to full throttle yielded only 31 Amps peak, so full throttle is definitely below 33A. And besides, these accell runs last maybe 5 or 6 seconds before I have to stop and turn around. Maybe it'd be happier if I cut a hole in the windshield.... in fact, I think I'll try that. The way I have the quark situated, it would channel air right across its heatsink.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Silentbob343

That was my next question, how long are the runs. Something is wrong if they are only 5-6 seconds. Like you said the Quark is rated at 50A for 10 seconds. I would email Quark and see what they think. More airflow couldn't hurt, but I don't think it should be needed for what you are doing.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
pbmax

Now I have a new problem....spent batts

BUT, this time I was able to do run after run up and down the street without hitting thermal shutoff and the quark was 15degrees cooler at a max of 185 on the outside. Looks like the body holes worked, at least in part. We'll see for sure tomorrow when I take it out to crush my buddy's RS4-3 and tmax [8D]

The most surprising part of this was that the motor didn't even hit 170 on my tempgun. I'm pretty impressed; I figured the wraith would run really hot... I guess the 13T pinion agrees with it. The batts were a nice, warm, 100F.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:00 PM
pbmax

I think I'll try out my spare mamba25 on the MI+wraith tomorrow. My high speed runs don't last long enough to overcome its burst capacity and I haven't heard of any heat issues with the mamba.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
jaejw1

hmm amazing,,, the guys over in the half8th forums love the wraith.. but i kept telling them that the wraith just doesnt agree with the vendetta.. maybe not for a track but for speed runs it might.. while on the track the wraith would be smokin hot.. one of the hottest motors i ran.. but i had it geared at 13/49 sometimes at 12/49 but it didnt help cave it.. that thing became a resistance magnet and the wires got toasted.. the permax so far has been my longest running bl motor and also my fastest

never understood why the wraith worked so good in the half8th..

can you give the wraith a try in the vendetta
Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 PM
pbmax

can you give the wraith a try in the vendetta
I dunno, now that I have a very happy permax in there, I don't want to take it out!

Plus, the MI seems to love the wraith. Maybe when I get a little bored. I still need to gather watt meter data for the vendetta + permax.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
pbmax

I think I'll try out my spare mamba25 on the MI+wraith tomorrow. My high speed runs don't last long enough to overcome its burst capacity and I haven't heard of any heat issues with the mamba.
Hehe, this was a HOT idea, very hot. Poor mamba melted its shrink, right before it hit thermal cutoff itself. It did recover, however, and I was able to drive the car back to me. Time to re-shrink the abused mamba...

I'm emailed Quark to see if they can shed some light on why it can't handle power it's supposed to handle.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
pbmax

I tried my other quark 33 PC in the MI and it doesn't seem to be hitting thermal shutoff. I was toward the end of the pack, but I did quite a few high speed runs and everything was okay. Leaning more and more toward a defective quark...luckily I'm inside the 30-day b-p-p return window!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
pbmax

Nevermind...the other quark hits it too, but takes twice as long to get there. Really not wanting to shell out the big bucks for a 1/10 scale brushless ESC....
Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
-Inverted-

Umm... trying to trouble shoot for you.

You have the motor on Outrunner, not Inrunner correct?

It is an inrunner motor, but for that size you are supposed to choose inrunner.

Just checking to make sure some settings are not wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.