Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Micro-T tranny qestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM
03mach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro-T tranny qestion

I just got a Micro-T today, and had a few question... When I try to spin the wheels by hand, they really don't want to move. It also seems like there is a heck of a lot of resistance when running. I checked the spur mesh, and it seems good. Do I need to adjust the slipper? I have only ran it for about 5 mins (tops), no WOT... Should I break the motor in?

And one final, RCU question; I really don;t like posting things that I know have already been answered. Is there anyway to search within a thread? TIA
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Micro-T tranny qestion

Loosen all the screws that hold the tranny together a bit.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 PM
03mach

OK, I'll give that a try tomorrow.. It's a PITA working around the wheels and advise how to get those tiny E-clips off without breaking them? I'm not a big upgrade person, but threaded axles will be a must for me!!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Revo_Rash

Yea sounds common mine did the same thing just loosen the screws and you should be fine. I had to remesh the gears though they were rock tight.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
03mach

Well, I loosend up the screws and I'm now able to spin the wheels by hand. But... When I lay off the throttle it comes to a dead stop, does it just need breaking in? Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: 03mach

Well, I loosend up the screws and I'm now able to spin the wheels by hand. But... When I lay off the throttle it comes to a dead stop, does it just need breaking in? Thanks for the help!!
Perhaps try a little oil/grease in the tranny.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Revo_Rash

no that's like auto break if the truck weighed more it would roll stop like a regular 1/10 scale does. it's normal the thing only weighs a couple ounces. and when you lay off the throttle then you have the motor trying to stop it as well as the tranny. mine stops on a dime unless i'm outside in a parking lot at full speed with it then it takes about 6-`12" to stop.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM
03mach

Ok Revo, That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. The only reason I doubted it it because my Mini-z rolls for a bit after laying off the throttle. But if it's normal, I'll stop messing ith stuff .

Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
nitro _ burner

it should still roll and be eaisy to turn with your hand.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
03mach

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

it should still roll and be eaisy to turn with your hand.
Hmm.. Maybe I need to loosen the trans screws some more.. I know it's meshed OK, if I back off the screws too much more won't it just fall apart?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Revo_Rash

IS it stopping on carpet or what surface are you running on? try it on a hard surface and see if it'll roll a couple inches after you let off the throttle then... If it ain't broke then don't fix it.!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 PM
03mach

I ran it on my tile floor and it did the same thing (dead stop). So I backed off the top left screw on the non-gear side of the transmission. That 1 screw seems to really make a difference with my car. I played around with all the screws for a good long while (how ever long i Robot is). Now it will roll maybe 2 inches or so. I just can't seem to leave things alone That's why I got into RC to begin with, I love to tinker. I hate having an idle mind, and idle hands! Thanks for the help... RCU rocks!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 AM
03mach

I'm still just not happy with the amount of resistance the rear wheels are giving me. When the pinion isn't meshed to the spur, it rolls like a champ. Once I put the 2 gears together it's like friction city, maybe I'm just to brutish to make it mesh properly? Is the any trick, the the paper one for 1/10? I was also curious is anyone esle has a warped spur gear?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 AM
MicroMotorSport

the spur gear isn't warped most likely, the top shaft just has play and allows the spur gear to move up and down freely. if it rolls fine w/o the motor and then its tight when you mesh the pinion and spur, most likely you are not setting the mesh correctly. when set, the pinion and spur should have a miniscule amount of play b/t the gears. i wouldn't use that paper "trick" as all it does for me is cause more headaches. just feel for the mesh, and when it feels good when its rolling, then leave it at that mesh. generally with these smallers scales, the tighter tolerances make for less than perfect meshing, so you may need to separate the mesh a bit until it becomes smooth. you, coming from mini-z should notice this, as most if not all of my mini-z's tend to need a fair amount of space in between the gears in comparison to larger scales.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
03mach

I guess I should know a bit better about the tolerances because of the Mini-Z.. But I never really had to fight this much with my Z though. It has it's own set of other issues (twitching, H-Plates, yada..yada,yada..). I know I must be getting poorer performance than what I should. I got it so it will roll a foot or so on my driveway,but it still hums and moans at me.. How freely should the rear wheels spin? Should I be able to expect the same smoothness that one gets with a larger scale RC?

PS: Speaking of Mini-Z's anyone know of a good place for H-Plates? My Z has been down for a few years now (yes years [&o] ) due to my H-plate issues. Back when I was in the mechanical engineering major I could pop a plate out on a C&C mill, now I have to buy one.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 AM
nitro _ burner

what i do is set the mesh tight then loosten the motor adjustment screw a bit then roll it around and then re-tighten it, i keep doing this until it feels perfect.