Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Micro D????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM
nitro _ burner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro D????

Hey everyone, i had a picco z micro heli and ive broken, all 3 rear props, main prop, tail fin, both weights on the stabilizing blades, and after many fixes i broke the main prop (as mentioned) so im looking at making a custom chassis for drag racing. i have all the gears and hopefully enough tools to make the custom chassis and i have heaps of parts to make motor mounts, i was going to make it realy long with 2 big plastic wheels in the rear and some small wheels in the front and a custom wheelie bar it will have a realy high gear ratio but unfortunately i dont realy see a way to make any steering.
What does everyone think about this?? PLEASE post all your thoughts, opinions and any tips. ILL NEED LOST OF TIPS.
Cheers, ill try to post pics when possible.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Mdubz

Default RE: Micro D????

If you really want to make a dragster, you should make it Direct Drive, that would probably be easiest anyway. As for steering, you would need a micro servo, and run the same setup as a mini-t.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Kokopelli06

You can't make it steer, there is no input to put a servo into, and if you thinkin of using the tail motor and hooking that up to some servo gears, it wont work becuase the electronics are programmed to keep the tail rotor spinning at all times. The only way i could see you making a dragster is using rc car electronics, not helicopter electronics.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Frozen72

You should not need steering just make sure that everything is strait and it should roll in a straight line.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:29 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: Frozen072

You should not need steering just make sure that everything is strait and it should roll in a straight line.
thats basically what im going to do. its not going to be anything amazing, i was just bored and have a broken heli. the idea isnt for it to be able to steer but meerly just to go in a straight line, fast.
So how about stoping the "it isnt going to work" and try to help me out.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
mikemcnair

if i were to build a tiny dragster, i would take a Team Losi Micro-T and use the parts from that. you have all of the electronics you would need, you can get tiny lipo's for it, and you have a million gearing options. also, the BB motor from atomic is like 10 bucks, and with a lipo you have a TON of power.

also, if you break something, you can get a ton of replacement parts. just my .02, but i think you can do it.

creativity is the key.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
hands without shadows

Gearing is going to be the most difficult part of this so I suggest you go to your LHS and buy a micro t tranny. They have them at mine for like 8 bucks.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
rc monkey

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: Frozen072

thats basically what im going to do. its not going to be anything amazing, i was just bored and have a broken heli. the idea isnt for it to be able to steer but meerly just to go in a straight line, fast.
So how about stoping the "it isnt going to work" and try to help me out.
I say just go for it - make a chassis from thin plastic etc
Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
carmatic1

how many parts from the helicopter are you willing to cannibalize for the dragster?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 AM
nitro _ burner

ALL PARTS!! except for the main chassis part.
What ive come up with so far is mounting a little straw close to the motor and puting a set of little wheels from a toy car in the front, and ill be making a little wheelie bar soon.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
carmatic1

if you had a more sophisticated heli, it could get interesting, like if you had a belt driven tail... cuz the servo and links for changing the tail rotor pitch can be used for steering... kind of like what it was originally doing on the heli,and a big part of the frame can be converted into the chassis of the dragster