Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Upgrading my Rc18B

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
naldur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my Rc18B

Hey...

I am going to upgrade my Rc18B RTR over the sommer.
1. step is to make it alu.
2. upgrading my Radio/Servo
3. upgrading to brushless and Lipo

1: is almost completed. Have ordered som parts.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLRC4

2. I am unsure of with parts. I know i want a big 1:5 later this year so i want a good radio without the use of crystals(is this FM?).
Should i make it a 3 channel just for fun?
Will the same reciver for the Rc18B fit into a big scale size. I know the physical size fits, but what should i be avawe off, i am thinking towards the Lipo question.
Is there a difference in witch at reciever you use in small scale vs big scale?

What servo for the RC18B should i by? (i like the best avalileble

3. I guess the Mamba is best, but i comes in 3 versions. Is there any need for the big one, or is it just a waste of money?
Should the reciver should be able to cope with Lipo, or is that just ESC?

What kind of reciver/ESC/Lipo/Brushless systems do you guys run with?
And the gearing for the brushless system? Now i am running 1:10 foam tires on it, but should i change the gearing. What gearing do you use?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Frozen72

Default RE: Upgrading my Rc18B

Your thinking of a 2.4 ghz radio.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
pbmax

Default RE: Upgrading my Rc18B

ORIGINAL: naldur
1. step is to make it alu.
2. upgrading my Radio/Servo
3. upgrading to brushless and Lipo
1. Having done this, it's not the best idea in the world. Aluminum bends and doesn't bend back, so unless you plan on driving it perfectly all the time, I'd keep the a-arms plastic and get some CF shock towers. Aluminum gearboxes are nice to give the shock tower mountings a little more strength too.

2. Like Frozen072 said, a 2.4ghz radio system is a great choice - no crystals or glitching. Spektrum is a good, relatively inexpensive choice (I have 2 and no complaints). You can use any RX anywhere, pretty much, as long as it fits. Smaller / lighter is usually better no matter the size of the vehicle it's going into.

3. I can't see a use for the 8000kv mamba motor (I assume this is what you mean by "the big one" ); I have a 6800kv and it's plenty fast with plenty of torque. Lipo is best paired with a brushless ESC, such as the Mamba 25. RXs don't care what kind of battery the car runs on as long as they get their 5v power from somewhere (ESC in an electric, RX pack in a nitro). I run my savage's FM RX on a 2s lipo